• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Mission in Haiti (ops, medals, etc) - merged

The fact sheet has become rather generic, but here is the update as of 23 Feb 2010

Update from the fact sheet;
http://comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/fs-fr/hestia-eng.asp

Patients seen to date at Role 1 clinics and Role 2 hospital: more than 15,500

Field hospital

With more than 100 staff, the Role 2 field hospital offers two operating rooms, 100 beds, a pharmacy, a laboratory, a radiology section, and dental services. The first patients were admitted on 29 January 2010. As part of transition planning, the hospital staff are also assessing the capabilities of medical facilities in Léogâne and Jacmel.

server.np

server.np

Anyway, whatever the issue is, the hospital is really being needed to for the victims. It is a kind that the Canadians mobile hospital has been set up there.

Canadian troops expected to be deployed to Haiti for peacekeeping

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canadian-troops-expected-to-be-deployed-to-haiti-for-peacekeeping-1.1331849#ixzz2WfiMRjYn

The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:50AM EDT

OTTAWA -- The federal government is expected to formally announce today that some Canadian troops will be heading to Haiti for a peacekeeping operation where they'll be working under Brazilian command.

The announcement comes just a day before the troops hit the ground in Haiti.

The way in which the six-month mission has been downplayed so far has surprised some observers.

The deployment of an infantry platoon was approved by the government in October last year.

But a senior defence source says the United Nations only signed off on having Canada added to the peacekeeping force last week.

The idea of teaming up with Brazil has been pitched for the past two years as a way to increase bilateral ties with the emerging economic power.

This is the first time I hear of this, Thanks!

What are you guy's thoughts on this? I have no military experience : is this good, or bad?

I would not be surprised that this is an operation to attempt to salvage the UN ops there and attempt to rebuild the UN rep in Haiti. That's my view from the comfy armchair.

The official word
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Diane Ablonczy, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas and Consular Affairs) and General Tom Lawson, the Chief of the Defence Staff, today announced the upcoming deployment of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) personnel as part of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH).

A CAF platoon from Quebec will depart on Friday, June 21st, 2013 to operate within a Brazilian battalion in Haiti until December. Their efforts will contribute to one of the CAF’s core roles – supporting international peace and security for greater stability in our hemisphere. This mission also demonstrates the Government of Canada’s ongoing commitment engaging in the Americas and deepening partnerships throughout the region.

(....)

The 34 CAF members come from 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group in Valcartier, Quebec, and have completed language and peace-support training in Brazil to prepare them for this new mission. This platoon will complement Canada’s military contribution to MINUSTAH that currently includes five military staff officers deployed on Operation Hamlet. Additionally, there are approximately 90 Canadian police officers serving with the United Nations in Haiti ....
DND/CF news release, 19 Jun 13

Colin P said:
I would not be surprised that this is an operation to attempt to salvage the UN ops there and attempt to rebuild the UN rep in Haiti. That's my view from the comfy armchair.
I'd think it might take more than three dozen folks led by a 2LT/LT to do that - although hearing what I do about U.N. "capacity", that may be all it takes.  ;)

More on OP Hamlet here

- mod edit to upate links -

milnews.ca said:
More on OP Hamlet here
Seriously?  Are they going to occupy FOB Yorick?  ;D

(I'm sure there's no shortage of jester's skulls down there  ;) )

Journeyman said:
Seriously?  Are they going to occupy FOB Yorick?  ;D

(I'm sure there's no shortage of jester's skulls down there  ;) )

:facepalm:

My good buddy is leading the Pl down there, we grew up together and he is a stellar officer and soldier.  Best of luck to him and the boys  :salute:

A reminder:  it's NOT about getting back into peacekeeping....
The Conservative government has no plans to re-embrace peacekeeping despite sending 34 soldiers to serve alongside Brazilian blue helmets in Haiti, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday.

(....)

MacKay was quick to confirm that Canada wasn’t re-upping with the UN in any significant way, but that the mission was part of a larger effort to help Haiti while strengthening ties with the emerging political, economic and military powerhouse that is Brazil.

“This is not a move away or some sort of a sizable shift from the type of work that we’ve been doing and work that is in fact ongoing,” MacKay told reporters during a news conference.

“The training mission in Afghanistan will be entering its final rotation, and the close of the mission next year will be a significant landmark occasion for the Canadian Forces, but we’re continuing to play a significant role in many parts of the world, and this is very much in keeping with those traditions.”

MacKay was joined by Minister of State for the Americas Diane Ablonczy, who highlighted “the tremendous potential and the great partners that are available to Canada in Brazil.”

Both MacKay and Ablonczy also reiterated Canada’s commitment to helping Haiti, the western hemisphere’s poorest country, though they did not mention the fact the Conservative government has frozen all future aid funding to the island nation for more than six months ....

Agreed, this is entirely about Canada's relationship with Haiti, and Canada's relationship with Brazil.

If this was about our relationship with the UN, we'd instead be increasing our involvement in the Congo or the Darfur. Both missions are currently over 20000 pers each, and might be the two largest UN peacekeeping missions in history. Haiti, at 11000 pers, is much less important for the UN right now.

RoyalDrew said:
My good buddy is leading the Pl down there, we grew up together and he is a stellar officer and soldier.  Best of luck to him and the boys  :salute:

That's a long way to go for a 'Brazilian'.  ;)

milnews.ca said:
.... unless it still is peacekeeping:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper (9 Aug 13) issued the following statement to mark National Peacekeepers’ Day:  "For several decades, Canada has made important contributions to peacekeeping operations around the world .... “Let us also remember those Canadians currently keeping up the proud tradition of peacekeeping in places such as Haiti, Israel, Cyprus and South Sudan, and wish them a safe return home ....

Remind me again of which 2 nation states are currently requiring UN peacekeeping services in Haiti to assist in a peace process?

A police action by any other name is what it is.

If this is important why deploy a platoon ? Seems to me that a company size task force would be more of a symbol of solidarity.

tomahawk6 said:
If this is important why deploy a platoon ? Seems to me that a company size task force would be more of a symbol of solidarity.
Couldn't find more than 30 guys who wanted to learn Portuguese?    :dunno:

Back