• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I realistically be a reservist?

ops

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a full time police officer with a municipal service in Ontario and was wondering if there would be any issues serving as a reservist while keeping my full time job. I have always respected and admired the Canadian force and now I'd like to be part of it. I got most of my information from the Canadian force website but I still have a few questions unanswered. Which one is the basic training course for reservist and how long is it? I have absolutely no military background and got confused between the Basic military Qualification course and the basic officer training course.

I work on a shift schedule and it works out that I'm off every second weekend. I don't think it will be an  issues meeting the minimum attendance after completing the basic training. I guess what I'd need to figure out is how to get the time off from work for the basic training if its a couple of weeks long.

Once the basic training is done what are the procedure to get training on a trade (I'm interested in Weapon Technician and Military Police).

I'm attending an info session next week but would appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.

I think what it boils down to is what will be priority in your life. Will it be your career or will it be the Reserves. Sadly sometimes you are forced to choose and I think that eventually you will be forced to do that.

There should be no problem serving as a Police Officer and as a Reservist. We have several at my unit. I would recommend that you carefully consider your trade choice. Most Police I've met have chosen not be MPs so that they can do and learn something different. They also want to avoid being part of two Police Forces simultaneously.

As a Non-comissioned Member, you would attend the BMQ course. I believe it's 11 weeks, but I sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

There are plenty of police officers that are also reservists!  I'm sure a search of this site will reveal more info.

Shift work means you won't be able to make all training opportunities during your career, but that doesn't keep you from contributing to your unit, and having a rewarding career as a reservist.

As for the basic training, your first course should be completed over weekends (usually every second weekend), with subsequent trade specific training either taken the same way or over a period of few weeks.  The course itself is a somewhat stripped down version of the regular force course, but is essentially the same.

For more info, you can talk to someone at work who is a reservist, or familiarise yourself with any leave that your specific service gives for military training.

Davionn

ops said:
Hi, I'm a full time police officer with a municipal service in Ontario and was wondering if there would be any issues serving as a reservist while keeping my full time job.

You may find this helpful.
Topic: "Civilian Police Officers Joining Reserves":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/87995.0.html

thanks much for your replies, will let you know the outcome.

Back