• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I do all my training requirements at my home unit and not have to go away?

jayemsee

Inactive
Reaction score
I wasn't exactly sure where to go to with this but I'm hoping that you may be able to help me.

I'm 22, recent university graduate with a B.A. Hons. in History with a Minor in Geography and Earth Sciences. I'm in pretty good physical shape. Been a lifeguard for a long time so it was always required that I stay in good shape. I work two jobs one of which is full time and I'm looking into joining the CF. I've done my homework and research and I figure that part-time direct entry officer is the way to go. I'm not sure which job is for me. Most recruiters just say Infantry Officer but I seriously don't think that that particular route is for me.

I'm from Hamilton, Ontario and I don't really have a preference over army or navy. I looked into all the reserve units here and the jobs that they were offering and they all seem pretty exciting.

My big question is: since I work all year round will I be able to train at home without having to train away from home for significant periods of time? Would I just be able to train a few nights a week and on the weekends instead of going away somewhere? Is there any way I work around what is needed of me where I can still do my proper training yet have it fit into a better schedule?

I don't want to apply and then quit right away because I couldn't meet their scheduled times.

Thank you for your time.

In a word, no.  While some initial training may be done in the local area as an officer in the Army Reserve, there will be a requirement to travel away from the local area to complete occupational training on a full-time basis.  The length of that training depends on your occupation, and may require spending time in Gagetown or Borden, and sometimes other locations.

Dates for training are generally fixed in advance.  There are some provisisons possible to split the training over several years, generally in two week blocks, but that is not always possible (again, that depends on the occupation).

I take it I'd have to contact whatever unit I'm interested in and ask them about this...

You can contact whoever you want. The bottom line is that you will have to travel away. A large amount of your training will be hands-on. Courses are run where there are training areas so that you can learn how to fire artillery, lead attacks or whatever you end up doing. This kind of training simply can't be done just anywhere.

jayemsee said:
I take it I'd have to contact whatever unit I'm interested in and ask them about this...

Here is my understanding.

1. Whatever trade you pick will be dependent on your locality in the reserve. You will take the CFAT - the aptitude test --- depending on your score on that it will qualify you in trade. There is information on the CFAT online, from what I have seen of it such as the practice test provided it is comparable to a technical college entry test. So based upon those two factors you will have a pool of potential trades. Usually there are only two or maybe three trades to each geographic area. There are exceptions.

2. Second in terms of the requirement to travel the CF has its training facilities spread over Canada. Depending on your trade you may go to a different area, and the trianing program also differs per trade but as stated, it is likely something you can work out 2 weeks of holidays and in some cases you may need to take a couple weeks unpaid leave, which hopefully your employers will understand since it is a one off thing or perhaps seasonal or annual thing if you do further training if it is offered.

In general however there are a couple general qualifications which are loosely based on field of service. I think these are the "basics" like boot camp. This may depend on where you are located it may be that each division has its own HQ for divisional training while there are some master training facilities as explained at places such as Gagetown (or its official divisional base name). 

So things would progress differently. For reserve force however remember you are financially compensated for service time, while not as high as regular forces, it is something.

This is my understanding, however, I am not an authority.

People who have been in the reserve I've spoken to have only spoken well of their experience.

Training is also done locally which can vary depending on the week.

army08 said:
Here is my understanding.

1. Whatever trade you pick will be dependent on your locality in the reserve. You will take the CFAT - the aptitude test --- depending on your score on that it will qualify you in trade. There is information on the CFAT online, from what I have seen of it such as the practice test provided it is comparable to a technical college entry test. So based upon those two factors you will have a pool of potential trades. Usually there are only two or maybe three trades to each geographic area. There are exceptions.

2. Second in terms of the requirement to travel the CF has its training facilities spread over Canada. Depending on your trade you may go to a different area, and the trianing program also differs per trade but as stated, it is likely something you can work out 2 weeks of holidays and in some cases you may need to take a couple weeks unpaid leave, which hopefully your employers will understand since it is a one off thing or perhaps seasonal or annual thing if you do further training if it is offered.

In general however there are a couple general qualifications which are loosely based on field of service. I think these are the "basics" like boot camp. This may depend on where you are located it may be that each division has its own HQ for divisional training while there are some master training facilities as explained at places such as Gagetown (or its official divisional base name). 

So things would progress differently. For reserve force however remember you are financially compensated for service time, while not as high as regular forces, it is something.

This is my understanding, however, I am not an authority.

People who have been in the reserve I've spoken to have only spoken well of their experience.

Training is also done locally which can vary depending on the week.

You are not a member of the CF.

Stop giving advice like you are.

The Army.ca Staff

If you are not available in the summer time (prime Reserve training time) then I'm not sure how you are going to make out.  Some reserve units do run in-house basic courses over the winter (nights and the odd weekend) but these are directed at the private soldier level.  If you're leaning more towards the officer side because of your degree, then it'll be at a School somewhere (Borden, Gagetown, etc depends upon which classification you go into).  And as posted previously, that means some travel and time away.  Might want to talk to your employers to see how they feel on the matter.
However, all that is just the start.  To gain more experience than just the odd night and weekend after becoming qual basic in your class, you'll need time to get other courses or experience that you won't get over the winter time.  Course officer for something at the Area Trg Centre, for example.  Or, depending upon how long you can get away in the summer, it may take you more than one season to become fully qual as a platoon commander.
Have a frank discussion with the local unit recruiters. 

Instead of talking to a recruiter and trying to find out if you have to go away, why don't you talk to your boss about getting time off for training. The way I see it you have a working relationship with your civilian boss, so communicate with him. The reserves have specific course dates throughout the year, if you cannot commit to those dates then your out of luck.

Back