• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

The comments in that thread :oops: …. The poor medic gets beat up so much the army photographer who took the images had to chime in and adjust attitudes.
Comments that are abusive should be traced and the user blocked. FFS grow up people.

Reactions: ueo
Also

Can anyone/ is anyone allowed to speak to this deployment aspect of Steadfast Defender?

• During the second half of the exercise, the Canadian Army will deploy over 100 additional vehicles including Light Armoured Vehicles (LAV) 6.0 and Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles (TAPV) to Latvia as part of the commitment to scale the existing Battle Group in Latvia to a combat-capable Multinational Brigade Latvia. In Summer 2024, Canada will also deploy four CH-146 Griffon helicopters to Latvia and periodically deploy CH-147 Chinooks as well, starting in the Fall of 2025.

Also

Can anyone/ is anyone allowed to speak to this deployment aspect of Steadfast Defender?

• During the second half of the exercise, the Canadian Army will deploy over 100 additional vehicles including Light Armoured Vehicles (LAV) 6.0 and Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles (TAPV) to Latvia as part of the commitment to scale the existing Battle Group in Latvia to a combat-capable Multinational Brigade Latvia. In Summer 2024, Canada will also deploy four CH-146 Griffon helicopters to Latvia and periodically deploy CH-147 Chinooks as well, starting in the Fall of 2025.
STEADFAST DEFENDER exercises NATO plans to reinforce Europe's defences. Canada is participating in a number of ways, including the movement of the additional equipment associated with the expansion of our contribution to the eFP as well as the relief in place of the eFP BG (there is a eFP BG rotation every six months). The Canadian core of the first Multi-national Brigade will also be participating ahead of their deployment later this year. There is also a frigate and other elements involved.

All of the equipment will be deployed with the Canadian-led NATO brigade in Latvia and the purchases — when they arrive — will complete the Liberal government's pledge to close major equipment gaps for troops in the field, whose mission is to deter potential Russian aggression in the Baltic states.
What about the rest of the CA? Nothing. Thus reinforcements/additions to a theatre will be not trained on these new items nor have them.

What about the rest of the CA? Nothing. Thus reinforcements/additions to a theatre will be not trained on these new items nor have them.
There's still the GBAD project. This was just UOR Latvia specific. As an aside, I expect there will be some equipment here with 4 RCA(GS) for training.

🍻

Are these RBS 70 vehicle mounted- at least some of them?
Does this RBS 70 purchase include Giraffe radar with the anti drone package?

Are these RBS 70 vehicle mounted- at least some of them?
Does this RBS 70 purchase include Giraffe radar with the anti drone package?
The initial UOR was for a "soldier-portable" system, however, it also included "detachment vehicles" as a project deliverable. I've seen pictures of RBS 70 on multiple launcher weapon stations on top of an armoured vehicle as well as mounted in the back of a pick up-like truck. I'm not sure what specifically is being done. The intent was that all vehicles are Canadian but I note the SAAB announcement states the contract includes "transport vehicles." My guess is we are looking at something along the pick-up truck line like our earlier Blowpipe and Javelin 5/4 ton systems.

There is no indication that Giraffe is part of the system. Canada does already operate the AN/MPQ-504 Medium Range Radar which has multi-purpose capabilities include air target acquisition. Also, Canada already operates LAV-based Airspace Coordination Centres which are capable of deconflicting airspace and controlling ground to air resources.

My expectation is that the RBS 70 systems will be integrated into 127 Bty of 4th Artillery Regt (General Support) in Gagetown. 127 also holds the ASCCs. The MRRs are part of 128 Bty.

🍻

Last edited:
Also note that the press release added the following;

• Following a competitive procurement process, the Government of Canada awarded contracts for the acquisition and support of dismounted and fixed-site systems as part of Phase 1 of the Counter-UAS Project. The contracts have a total combined value of $46 million. The systems being acquired in Phase 1 include:
    • A contract with an estimated value of $2 million (excluding taxes) to TRD Systems of Singapore for ORION-H9 dismounted directional systems;
    • A contract with an estimated value of $19 million (excluding taxes) to CACI Inc. of the United States of America for CACI BEAM 3.0 omni-directional systems; and
    • A contract with an estimated value of $25 million (excluding taxes) to Leonardo UK Ltd. Of the United Kingdom for Falcon Shield fixed-site systems.
Note that the intent is to form a C-UAS troop within each of the three close support artillery regiment (i.e. the STA batteries), however, the distribution is contemplated beyond this including to the RCN, RCAF and other agencies.

🍻

Also note that the press release added the following;

Note that the intent is to form a C-UAS troop within each of the three close support artillery regiment (i.e. the STA batteries), however, the distribution is contemplated beyond this including to the RCN, RCAF and other agencies.

🍻
Info on the three units noted in the press release:

Back