• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Computers make it easier for everyone to want reports, and returns for everything. Back in the day a certain amount of "I trust that this is happening" was normal, now everything is tracked and traced.

There are also far more requirements for oversight, and more hoops to jump through, so that ads layers of admin to manage those systems as well.
I wonder if all the oversight is really required or invented to justify a position or 300. We seemed to function reasonably well before micro management, inordinate required (?) reports etc etc. Trust was placed in those in the correct position with some higher guidance and trg.

Sweden will send 'reduced battalion' to join Canadian-led NATO force in Latvia

New development. It will be interesting to see what the reduced Bn looks like in relation to the Cdn elements.

I would expect a CV90 based Bn of two Coy with a robust Cbt Sp maybe?

Edit. After looking at the Swedish Bn structures my guess is a CV90 Coy and a Leo2 Coy in the reduced Bn.

Updated information is now available.

Note that this Swedish force will not be an additional Bn for the Bde but rather will be a 6 month rotation of forces into the previously solely Danish Bn offset with the rotation of Danish forces.

First Swedish elements to be equipped with the AMV 8x8.

Say hello to the Baltic Maginot Line ;)

Baltic states plan common defense zone on Russia border as security concerns mount​

Estonia to build hundreds of bunkers on eastern frontier to deter the Kremlin’s possible aggression.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia agreed on Friday to set up a common Baltic defense zone on their borders with Russia and Belarus amid growing security concerns.

The defense ministers of the three Baltic countries met on Friday in Riga to approve the construction of "anti-mobility defensive installations" on their eastern frontiers. They also agreed to develop missile-artillery cooperation.

Estonian Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur stressed the need for bunkers at the border, saying: “Russia's war in Ukraine has shown that in addition to equipment, ammunition and manpower, we also need physical defensive structures at the border from the first meter to protect Estonia."

Say hello to the Baltic Maginot Line ;)

Baltic states plan common defense zone on Russia border as security concerns mount​

Estonia to build hundreds of bunkers on eastern frontier to deter the Kremlin’s possible aggression.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia agreed on Friday to set up a common Baltic defense zone on their borders with Russia and Belarus amid growing security concerns.

The defense ministers of the three Baltic countries met on Friday in Riga to approve the construction of "anti-mobility defensive installations" on their eastern frontiers. They also agreed to develop missile-artillery cooperation.

Estonian Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur stressed the need for bunkers at the border, saying: “Russia's war in Ukraine has shown that in addition to equipment, ammunition and manpower, we also need physical defensive structures at the border from the first meter to protect Estonia."

Kind of makes sense to me. If nothing else this war, since 2014, has shown how difficult it is to breach an entrenched and fortified line. The Balts best option for holding the small amount of ground they have available is to build those defences as far forwards as they while they are not being shelled. Then keep digging and fortifying.

Joint Press Conference for NATO Chiefs of Defence meeting, 18 January 2024

Kind of makes sense to me. If nothing else this war, since 2014, has shown how difficult it is to breach an entrenched and fortified line. The Balts best option for holding the small amount of ground they have available is to build those defences as far forwards as they while they are not being shelled. Then keep digging and fortifying.
I know this isn't directly responding to your post here Kirk, just thinking about what you wrote from a strategic perspective...

Do any of the Baltic states really have to worry about a Russian invasion?

Ignoring the fact that the Russian military is preoccupied with holding their ground in Ukraine, does Sweden even have to worry about Russia invading? Any bad blood there like Poland and Russia?

I know this isn't directly responding to your post here Kirk, just thinking about what you wrote from a strategic perspective...

Ignoring the fact that the Russian military is preoccupied with holding their ground in Ukraine, does Sweden even have to worry about Russia invading? Any bad blood there like Poland and Russia?
I think the Baltic Countries are worried about the little Green men suddenly occupying them with lots of local help.
NATO gets confined to the Army Camps they now train out of. Stalemate. But Russia is closer.REAL close

All three countries have similar relations with Russia and all mirror the Polish Russian relations. Russia steam rollered them when they steam rolllered Poland in WW2. All three of them were forcibly Russified and all three have resident Russian populations that were imposed on them.

As to Sweden - Sweden has been concerned about Russia since at least the days of Gustav Adolph and Peter the Great. Finland and Estonia both used to be Swedish territories until 1720 or so.

In the short term no. But here is the one situation that would chance everything. If by some chance the Free Kaliningrad movement succeeded that would trigger Russia into a response that invading the baltics would almost be forgone conclusion.

Did anyone seriously think Russia would initiate a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022?

Russia right now is a wounded animal and its population lives in a media echo chamber where they are surrounded by NATO enemies intent on their destruction. Putin and his cronies are not just intent on maintaining power but also on returning Russia to some mythical place primacy over their former Eastern European empire.

When the Ukraine war is over (and especially if Russian apologists in the US impose a peace settlement in Ukraine) Russia will seek to rebuild its military power and learn its lessons from the war to be better prepared to continue striving to reach their objectives.

Do I think that Russia will make some kind of suicidal attack against a well prepared and united NATO? No. But they will make every effort to split NATO politically and get its members to continue ti criminally neglect their military capabilities in hopes of being able to take advantage of the West's weaknesses to expand their power and control over their former conquests.

That's why we in NATO need strong militaries and political unity to deter Russia from making any opportunistic or desperate moves.

Back