• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

My intent is more along the line of equipping the ResF logistics units over time by not leaving vehicle with the RegF long enough to require divesting and replacing them as a fleet, but rotating them into the ResF where their usage will be greatly reduced but they stay maintained and available for an extended period of time than they would have with the RegF.

It lets you grow the SMP holdings with the ResF over time and keeps the RegF refreshed with new vehicles in a continuing stream.

By keeping one factory working continuously over decades on one model of vehicle you generally do not have to retrain on a new model and will have a continuous flow of spare parts. (And I recognize that over time some key components, such as engines, will change as the older ones become discontinued and will need to be accounted for). In addition you have a factory level facility for major rebuilds, refurbishments and repairs.

🍻
A NSS for army cars? Makes too much sense...

I've made my point here a few times before, and gotten the usual pushback, but I think Canada needs to stop pretending we are a Tier 1 Military, and start buying lots of 80-90% systems. Buy the fancy kit in small numbers for dangerous Ops, but have a large pool of "good enough for government work" kit in the pantry back home.

The way we do things now results in small numbers of outdated kit buy the time our byzantine(I bet even the Byzantines would be embarrassed by our government systems) system gets them.

Before Kevin and Mark get upset, I'm not suggesting the front line fighting vehicles should be second rate, but why can't the logistics and other support vehicles be second rate? I've made the point before that a Rochel Senator with a trailer would be better than a MSVS SEV for Met. I suspect that other support trades would have a similar take on a lightly armoured pickup or box armoured car.

Couple of points about modern Automotive and manufacturing industries. Those plants you see with Ford, GM, Toyota on them nothing is made in them as in raw material in finished good out. That ended decades ago. Today's plants the closes thing is the body shop that welds sheet metal stamped most of the time from somewhere else together. After that parts made elsewhere are screwed, fastened, glued or bolted on.

So in an emergency asking Automotive companies please make more LAV or Tanks would be a clean slate start. Nothing in a modern assembly plant would apply to combat vehicle building. Yes the people and some management systems could retrained and have some knowledge and abilities but that's it.

Now for light vehicles. Yes some of the commercial platform would work and do. But you still need to send offline for the mil spec add ons.
Indeed. That's why they call them assembly plants. Their parts stream, in Ontario at least, is strung along the 401.

The idea of keeping a single plant open is some kind of low but steady production rate would probably work if the operator saw a profit in it. Back when every single Ford Police Interceptor/Crown Victoria in the world was made in St. Thomas, and they owned about 80% of the police /taxi market, Ford determined that it still wasn't enough to keep the plant running.

Back when every single Ford Police Interceptor/Crown Victoria in the world was made in St. Thomas, and they owned about 80% of the police /taxi market, Ford determined that it still wasn't enough to keep the plant running.

Those bastards. I miss my Crown Vic.

Those bastards. I miss my Crown Vic.

Here's the Mother Load...

LASD still has hundreds of Crown Vics thanks to 2011 ‘stockpile’​

“The Crown Victoria is a rugged and durable platform that has held up great over the years,” Sgt. David M. Davis said​

December 13, 2023 10:49 AM

LOS ANGELES — Agencies across the nation have been working to phase out their fleets of Ford Crown Victoria cruisers. But the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department still has hundreds, The Drive reported.

The LASD ensured they would continue to be one of the Crown Vic’s top buyers by purchasing a “stockpile” in 2011, the last year of production, according to the report. Of the 600 cars in that final purchase, 429 are still in use.

“The Crown Victoria is a rugged and durable platform that has held up great over the years,” Sergeant David M. Davis told The Drive. He noted that veteran deputies tended to prefer the Crown Vic, while deputies newer to the force opted for the Ford Police Interceptor Utility.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the 5 ton FMTV is the same as the HLVW. The easiest solution is to just buy a fleet of FMTVs from Oshkosh.

Here's the Mother Load...

LASD still has hundreds of Crown Vics thanks to 2011 ‘stockpile’​

“The Crown Victoria is a rugged and durable platform that has held up great over the years,” Sgt. David M. Davis said​

December 13, 2023 10:49 AM

LOS ANGELES — Agencies across the nation have been working to phase out their fleets of Ford Crown Victoria cruisers. But the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department still has hundreds, The Drive reported.

The LASD ensured they would continue to be one of the Crown Vic’s top buyers by purchasing a “stockpile” in 2011, the last year of production, according to the report. Of the 600 cars in that final purchase, 429 are still in use.

“The Crown Victoria is a rugged and durable platform that has held up great over the years,” Sergeant David M. Davis told The Drive. He noted that veteran deputies tended to prefer the Crown Vic, while deputies newer to the force opted for the Ford Police Interceptor Utility.

Good for them. I know the OPP convinced the government to let them 'over-purchase' but it was only a couple of years worth. Deployed police services 'mile-out' faster than municipal services (but I no longer know the data). If they have a yard full of 12+ year old vehicles, they're going to have to swap tires and probably other components.

I didn't really consider how much bigger the new Mini is over the original until I saw two side-by-side on the road one day.

With all the gear inside a typical cruiser these days, I doubt that would work over here, let alone transporting persons in custody.

GDLS Canada needs to build the actual LAV 6 (Stryker T) Tracked chassis, put similar add on armor as the Bradley has (get those weight numbers up)and market it to Canada. Canada will buy 500-1000 of them with out much fan fare due to it being a LAV built in Canada and say its to travekl through the snow better. Then market the thing to our allies who have bought our LAV series already.
We can bolt on a missile system, I know a few here are going to say it isn't as easy as just mounting the system. ( drill a few holes, add the launcher, drill a another hole put the wires through the turret {using milspec connectors}, drill a few more to mount the screen and control panel inside the turret. Bam you now have a stinger/tow/milan what ever missile you want system on the LAV).

A made on this side of the pond vehicle that can and will do things we need, will make the track people happy, will make the non track people happy as we still have those. (they could sell it as a buy of equipment for the Reserves that is needed, then the Reg force can just take them).....

GDLS Canada needs to build the actual LAV 6 (Stryker T) Tracked chassis, put similar add on armor as the Bradley has (get those weight numbers up)and market it to Canada. Canada will buy 500-1000 of them with out much fan fare due to it being a LAV built in Canada and say its to travekl through the snow better.
I don't think Canada would ever buy that many armoured vehicles.

GDLS Canada needs to build the actual LAV 6 (Stryker T) Tracked chassis, put similar add on armor as the Bradley has (get those weight numbers up)and market it to Canada. Canada will buy 500-1000 of them with out much fan fare due to it being a LAV built in Canada and say its to travekl through the snow better. Then market the thing to our allies who have bought our LAV series already.
We can bolt on a missile system, I know a few here are going to say it isn't as easy as just mounting the system. ( drill a few holes, add the launcher, drill a another hole put the wires through the turret {using milspec connectors}, drill a few more to mount the screen and control panel inside the turret. Bam you now have a stinger/tow/milan what ever missile you want system on the LAV).

A made on this side of the pond vehicle that can and will do things we need, will make the track people happy, will make the non track people happy as we still have those. (they could sell it as a buy of equipment for the Reserves that is needed, then the Reg force can just take them).....
Why build off the LAV 6 chassis into a tracked vehicle when the US already looked at it years ago and didnt like it? As many have mentioned on here the LAV 6 chassis is at its limits and it also doesnt have the right profile for an IFV.

The LAV body design isn’t ideal (or practical) for a Tracked system. Its purpose built for wheels — trying to shoehorn it into a Tracked LAV is quite frankly idiotic and GDLS has done to that understanding as well.

GDLS makes a tracked IFV already, so if one wants GDLS Canada to make a Tracked IFV just get the one that they already can build.

Is the tracked Boxer a thing or is it basically the same as the tracked Stryker idea?

Is the tracked Boxer a thing or is it basically the same as the tracked Stryker idea?
Thing is a good word ;) The Boxer suspension is a little different from the LAV, and so it may be a little more viable for tracked implementation, but generally the hulls for Tracked are significantly different designs than Wheeled.

Thing is a good word ;) The Boxer suspension is a little different from the LAV, and so it may be a little more viable for tracked implementation, but generally the hulls for Tracked are significantly different designs than Wheeled.
Ajax ? I don’t mind the ASCOD but if you think protection is slim on the LAV….

Good for them. I know the OPP convinced the government to let them 'over-purchase' but it was only a couple of years worth. Deployed police services 'mile-out' faster than municipal services (but I no longer know the data). If they have a yard full of 12+ year old vehicles, they're going to have to swap tires and probably other components.

I didn't really consider how much bigger the new Mini is over the original until I saw two side-by-side on the road one day.

With all the gear inside a typical cruiser these days, I doubt that would work over here, let alone transporting persons in custody.
I think the purpose of the little police cars overseas is just to carry cops from from one beating to another. When I was in Paris 20-odd years ago on the Champs Élysées, I saw a police Ford Fiesta roar up on some guy walking on the sidewalk and four big cops jumped out and started laying the boots to him. Soon afterwards a paddy wagon rolled up and the cops threw the guy in the back. The whole thing took less than 2 minutes. 😯

In Mexico I see the local cops cruise around packed in like sardines in Nissan Sentras. The better to keep the riff-raff out of the tourist zone, I guess.

Back