• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Radical suggestion, the CA is already hurting for man power, we have the reserves but they lack experience, and equipment. We need manpwer though and inexperienced reservists are still quicker to get up to speed then a raw recruit off the street in Toronto. We need to cover the gap until the Reg force can recruit and train enough troops. So how do you do it when the reserves off volunteers you might get half a section?

Step 1: Order in Council the activation of reserve regiments for a period of 1 year
Step 2: Organize the units into full battle groups, and train them for three months under the guidance of a Regular Force Training Cadre.
Step 3: Deploy the Reserve brigade for 9 months using 90% reserve and 10% regular force members.
Step 4: repeat per each division for 1 year each

The end state is you reduce the regular force man power burden while they reconstitute, and as you rotate through each division we get a much more skilled and well trained reserve force. In theory if we do this once per 2,3 and 4 Division reserve elements, that gives us 3 years to get the regular force back into fighting shape. Will the reserves like it? probably not but guess what we signed that dotted line and desperate times call for desperate measures.
In 2004 and 2005 the US Army did something approximating this when they used the US National Guard and Reserves to take over a very large percentage of the total deployed in Iraq. It was done deliberately to buy time for the US Army Regular Forces to complete the modernization/conversion to BCTs.
Overall it was successful at a strategic level in buying time, although it did have challenges on the ground in Iraq due to skill and strength challenges with the mobilized formations.

In 2004 and 2005 the US Army did something approximating this when they used the US National Guard and Reserves to take over a very large percentage of the total deployed in Iraq. It was done deliberately to buy time for the US Army Regular Forces to complete the modernization/conversion to BCTs.
Overall it was successful at a strategic level in buying time, although it did have challenges on the ground in Iraq due to skill and strength challenges with the mobilized formations.
Will any sitting Government in Canada authorize what is in effect mobilization? The fear of another "conscription crisis" I think would prevent the government from taking such a step (I know it would be more like the Korea Special Force mobilization than actual conscription but I bet it would be presented that way politically by numerous groups). It would also basically be an admission that the Government (and the CAF) have utterly failed in their primary task of maintaining forces capable of defending our national interests. Again, I just can't see it happening for political reasons.

Thanks. Would it become more sustainable (and less dependant on augments) if the RCAC consolidated down to 6 Sqn's (3 each tank and Recce), and the LAV Bn's dropped to 2 Coy's in preparation for being mated with tanks to form CAB's? If so, would that take everything or would the 3rd Bn have something else to support a 2nd deployment?

we already anticipate being mated by forming combat teams; our 4 x 4 Sqns work out really well for that and 3 coys allows the BG commander depth and reserves.

Frankly we’ve always robbed Peter to pay Paul to make full deployable Bns; if we’re sending two out the door the 3rd Bns and the reserves will be dredged to a man. Assuming we send 2 LAV Bns. Bear in mind the reserves are already tasked to provide the mechanized Bn mortar and assault pioneer platoons so there’s four formed platoons plus any other augmentation.

Last edited:
So what we do now ? Will they show up with pass ports and security clearances done this time.? cough 2022*cough* Snide commentary on the fact a BOR had to work 12hr day 7 days a week because some were told “they’ll waiver your security clearance / passport” aside, I agree we’d get many volunteers, for the first roto. The follow on rotations will see a drop off, some how the prospect of 6 months of maple resolve doesn’t hit the same sense of adventure.

We did pretty well providing a steady stream of qualified troops for both FRY and AFG, I don't see why it couldn't work again in the future....

we already anticipate being mated by forming combat teams; our squads 4 x 4 Sqns work out really well for that and 3 coys allows the BG commander depth and reserves.

Frankly we’ve always robbed Peter to pay Paul to make full deployable Bns; if we’re sending two out the door the 3rd Bns and the reserves will be dredged to a man. Assuming we send 2 LAV Bns. Bear in mind the reserves are already tasked to provide the mechanized Bn mortar and assault pioneer platoons so there’s four formed platoons plus any other augmentation.
Granted that's how we have done and would like to do things, but given the task at hand and our limitations couldn't it be argued that basing maneuver units off of a Battlegroup made up of a doctrinal 3 coy Canadian mech bn PLUS a tank squadron rather than leaning out to an American pattern mechanized combined arms bn with 1x tank, 2x mech coy's is a luxury we can't pretend to afford?

Granted that's how we have done and would like to do things, but given the task at hand and our limitations couldn't it be argued that basing maneuver units off of a Battlegroup made up of a doctrinal 3 coy Canadian mech bn PLUS a tank squadron rather than leaning out to an American pattern mechanized combined arms bn with 1x tank, 2x mech coy's is a luxury we can't pretend to afford?
That American CAB is backed up by its Bde’s 3 CABs. Depth is maintained at that level. I don’t see as a luxury so much as it’s a critical requirement. Let me ask you the other question; what is gained by dropping to two companies if we’re going to have to pull 85 percent to do it vs 95 percent ?

We did pretty well providing a steady stream of qualified troops for both FRY and AFG, I don't see why it couldn't work again in the future....

Sorry I know I come off like a stereotypical self hating former reservist, not that case and what I mean by this is simply the desire to do Latvia twice is low to 0 across people who’ve been. It’s not like Afghanistan or FYR where there’s a real sense of finally “doing your job,” at least in the guys I know that have been.

Bear in mind the reserves are already tasked to provide the mechanized Bn mortar and assault pioneer platoons so there’s four formed platoons plus any other augmentation.
I’m still wondering what idiot came up with that.
Rather than just hollow out some GIB spots in rifle Coy’s, let’s have a good idea fairly have the PRes fill Pioneer and Mortar Pl..
With no LAV’s etc to work with.

That American CAB is backed up by its Bde’s 3 CABs. Depth is maintained at that level. I don’t see as a luxury so much as it’s a critical requirement.
What if the deployed Canadian Bde was rounded out with a 3rd such battalion from another contributing nation, acceptable?

I’m still wondering what idiot came up with that.
Rather than just hollow out some GIB spots in rifle Coy’s, let’s have a good idea fairly have the PRes fill Pioneer and Mortar Pl..
With no LAV’s etc to work with.

You don't get 'Train to Excite' do you? ;)

200.gif

What if the deployed Canadian Bde was rounded out with a 3rd such battalion from another contributing nation, acceptable?
I guess ? Really depends on what that looks like, and I don’t like taking away the Bn commanders ability to hold depth

Depends which nation and what interoperability would look like within the Bde. We are all NATO, sure; but our ability to mesh with a UK, US, or German Bn would a lot different than an Albanian, Italian, or Polish Bn. Not a matter of ability or professionalism, but more a matter of culture and philosophy.

I would posit that MN Brigades are ADO with more flags and languages.

Depends which nation and what interoperability would look like within the Bde. We are all NATO, sure; but our ability to mesh with a UK, US, or German Bn would a lot different than an Albanian, Italian, or Polish Bn. Not a matter of ability or professionalism, but more a matter of culture and philosophy.

I would posit that MN Brigades are ADO with more flags and languages.

Good point....

I recall that, when working with the Germans, being on time was of paramount importance.

It was always fun to have to do dispute resolution between them and the Italians ;) ;)

I wonder what they all say about us...
That we’re fat. My source in this being the numerous NCOs who asked me to my face over a beer why we had fat soldiers.

The Spanish were distinctly unimpressed when I told the section commander that the ex was from Monday to Saturday, and we’d be in a patrol base and tactical the whole time in response to “what time will we finish each day?” I didn’t get the impression they had a super high opinion of us afterwards.

That we’re fat. My source in this being the numerous NCOs who asked me to my face over a beer why we had fat soldiers.

The Spanish were distinctly unimpressed when I told the section commander that the ex was from Monday to Saturday, and we’d be in a patrol base and tactical the whole time in response to “what time will we finish each day?” I didn’t get the impression they had a super high opinion of us afterwards.
We are a distinctly obese military compared to almost any other military. Sometimes to the point of embarrassment, it was the same thing in 2017 on the EFP. Doesn't matter that fat person 1 might be excellent in their role it is something we were judged on by the rest of the the BG for right or wrong.

In 2017 both the Spanish and the Italians on Roto 0 were pretty disgusted that field exercises lasted days but the Spanish quickly built a bridge and got over it. The Polish were just happy and did whatever whenever! In a funny twist the Italians on the next roto being mountain light infantry guys (cause no armoured vehs used in winter right) were awesome when it came to going to the field

It also highlighted how different we operated when the first time we sent out hayboxes to the field the Italian NSE Comd came to the Canadian LSG (pre NSE days) and asked why his ppl were eating like savages as there were no plates or utensils sent with the meals. We are use to an intermediary support org like a RQ/CQ giving that sort of support not the NSE/garrison services. We gained some credibility though as we had a ready stock of everything and ensured that the Italians could eat like proper home sapiens at the next meal!

I rate the Poles pretty highly honestly, the Italians aren’t bad. Now the Spanish…
I worked with the Poles in 2015 back when we were doing Operacise REASSURANCE stuff on their home turf. They were really solid dudes and had a good work ethic.

Their leadership, however, needed some readjusting from the former Warsaw Pact idea that information is for power and not for dissemination.

Working with the Italians in Egypt was interesting because they had a solid grip on Western military processes and philosophy when it mattered, but scoffed at the idea of a 24/7 adherence to regimental life. It honestly was refreshing to see.

Haven't had the pleasure of working with the Spaniards, but I hear they are very much not a fan of high op tempo.

As for how we are perceived.... we are respected for our leadership and professionalism. We are often called out for our physical appearance and lack/poor state of equipment.

I remember in Egypt having an Aussie WO2 come up one side and down the other on me when BEARDFORGEN dropped. It was easily smoothed over when my Ops O, who was very much bearded, came out and told him what was what.

Apparently 3 Vandoo required a base wide email in Fort Polk because our HAIRFORGEN was causing an uptick in rage induced aneurysms amongst the U.S. Army Senior Enlisted

We are a distinctly obese military compared to almost any other military. Sometimes to the point of embarrassment, it was the same thing in 2017 on the EFP. Doesn't matter that fat person 1 might be excellent in their role it is something we were judged on by the rest of the the BG for right or wrong.

In 2017 both the Spanish and the Italians on Roto 0 were pretty disgusted that field exercises lasted days but the Spanish quickly built a bridge and got over it. The Polish were just happy and did whatever whenever! In a funny twist the Italians on the next roto being mountain light infantry guys (cause no armoured vehs used in winter right) were awesome when it came to going to the field

It also highlighted how different we operated when the first time we sent out hayboxes to the field the Italian NSE Comd came to the Canadian LSG (pre NSE days) and asked why his ppl were eating like savages as there were no plates or utensils sent with the meals. We are use to an intermediary support org like a RQ/CQ giving that sort of support not the NSE/garrison services. We gained some credibility though as we had a ready stock of everything and ensured that the Italians could eat like proper home sapiens at the next meal!
Doesn’t anyone carry Melmac plates in their butt-packs anymore?

Savages indeed! How can you win a war without Melmac plates in your butt-pack! ;)

Doesn’t anyone carry Melmac plates in their butt-packs anymore?

Savages indeed! How can you win a war without Melmac plates in your butt-pack! ;)
Simple....just never worry if you have a melmac plate or not. Imagine carrying a plate on one's fighting gear :)

Back