• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camping in Algonquin Park (equipment)

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
Who's been? I'm thinking of going next summer (or maybe fall, depending on work/school) for a week of camping and canoeing.  I don't have much in the line of camping equipment (umm, a sleeping bag), so I'll have to get stuff.

What equpiment should I be looking at getting, how much should I look at spending and where should I look for it?

What other supplies (food, first aid, etc.) would you reccomend?

All in all, with camping fees, canoe rental and stuff, how much should I expect to spend, overall?  I'd like to spend on the side of inexpensive, but without buying crap. 

Of course, I'll be going with a group of people (which I have yet to find), so that'll help spread the cost around.

Tent.
Axe.
Coleman stove is usefull too. (With that.. you'll need propane)
Lamp.
Flashlight.
Matches.
Ligher.
Batteries.
Tarp.
String.
Kitchen utensils.
A knife.

... OH OH. Don't forget metal skewers for weenies or marshmallows.   ;D

Anthing else I've forgotten?

Cheers,
Lex

P.S.: Bring extra clothing, including underwear and socks.
The weather tends to change drastically, so have both warm and cold weather clothing.

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOUR FIRST AID KIT IS STOCKED WITH GAUZE, TAPE, BANDAGES AND POLYSPORIN. (At the least.)
You may also want to include some triangle bandages, a mouth guard incase you have to do AR, (artificial respiration,) and some flares incase of an automobile emergency.
Better safe than sorry.
Oh yeah, and if you're allergic to elastoplast bandages.. don't put elastoplast bandages in your first aid kit. Don't make the same mistake as I did.   ;D

best place to get this stuff if you don't have the money to buy new is at garage sales. Also look into the super shopper under camping supplies, usually find great deals and most times all the stuff needs is a little maintenance. good luck  and have fun. I cant answer any of your other questions as to the cost of the park.

Camping there is probably one of my favorite things to do. I think the most important thing to bring is a small water purificator to keep you hydrated.  You can get them at crappy tire or any surplus/camping store. They run for about 20 bucks. The lakes there (especially butt lake) is very clean. This is easier than bringing your own water in which is huge hastle.

Some good food to bring in is oatmeal and bagels and things like that with high carbs to keep you going. And if you're feeling really adventurous, bring a fishing road and try to hook into a trout and cook that up..... thats the best meal you can ever eat right fresh from the lake over a open fire. mmmmmm

Back