• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camp Mirage Superthread

A simmering dispute between Canada and the United Arab Emirates threw Defence Minister Peter MacKay's (pictured) travel plans into chaos Monday morning, when the UAE refused MacKay and his entourage permission to land on or even cross over UAE territory.

Read more: article link

The increasingly acrimonious dispute pits the world’s second largest country against a tiny, but immensely wealthy Gulf sheikdom whose ambition is to create two of the world’s largest airlines.

PiperDown said:
I am glad we are not bowing to the demands of the UAE. But slightly worried about where ( or IF ) I will be flying to next week when I am ( currently) scheduled to fly into theatre. [/quote

Cyprus seems to be the most likely destination which would make sense. The Brits already have an airbase there that we could use and our troopies already go to de-compress when there tours ends.

From what I understand, Europe is also have "issues" with Air Emirates. 
I guess that the fellow Commonwealth nation of India is of no help for us to use as a staging area?

Technoviking said:
From what I understand, Europe is also have "issues" with Air Emirates. 
I guess that the fellow Commonwealth nation of India is of no help for us to use as a staging area?

You'd have to fly through Pakistani airspace, and they don't like playing ball all the time.

We used to fly through the British base in Cyprus, until it became to busy for them to handle us. I doubt the situation has changed.

PuckChaser said:
You'd have to fly through Pakistani airspace, and they don't like playing ball all the time.

Speaking of Pakistan, this from the Canadian Press:
Pakistan is in the process of considering a request from Canada to use its military bases for next year's scheduled withdrawal from Afghanistan.

A source in the Pakistani Foreign Ministry says Canada lodged the request several months ago ....

Yeah, that sounds easy, NOT.  Still, the options appear small (unless we hit up one of the former Soviet 'Stans).

PuckChaser said:

No problems anytime I went through.  We  overfly it all the freakin time

You've got to love how our media is just guessing and pin pointing location this week about where we operated out of. My question though, who are the people giving interviews to the media about this stuff?

Well, it started with the MND doing an interview and mentioning the place, and it went downhill from there.

If news reports are correct, this suggests a major tactical blunder on the part of the UAE (or possibly a cultural misunderstanding); they wanted to keep their provision of facilities under the radar (so to speak), yet still wanted actions to reflect goodwill for their doing it.

Imagine the spin, had things gone differently:  the Press would have been filled with stories about the CF in the UAE (not "undisclosed locaiton in the Middle East"); travel features about the area, news and opinion pieces about how they're such a great and reliable ally - and then they request a few more landing slots - popular opinion would have gone with them, and a half dozen or so A380s would land in Calgary every week.

Instead, "Don't tell anyone you're here!" followed by surprise that, having done no sales job to the public, they did not receive the commercial benefits they wanted.  In a nation dominated by a small elite, the concept of popular support was probably missed - to their commercial detriment.

dapaterson said:
In a nation dominated by a small elite, the concept of popular support was probably missed - to their commercial detriment.
It appears their priority was not to upset other MidEast states by visibly supporting the ISAF invaders forces - oh well, no Calgary landing rights for you.

And now this, more gasoline on the fire.  Shared with the usual caveats.

UAE lobbied against Canada's UN bid
Last Updated: Thursday, October 14, 2010 | 10:27 AM ET Comments366Recommend117The Associated Press
A UAE official says the country lobbied against Canada's bid for a United Nations Security Council seat in the latest blow to relations that have soured after disputes over airline routes.

The official says the United Arab Emirates opposed Canada's UN effort in part because of its trade policies. Canada failed earlier this week to win one of the non-permanent Security Council seats after coming behind Portugal in second ballot voting in New York.  The UAE has pushed back hard against Ottawa for not opening up more routes for its airlines Emirates and Etihad. Canadian troops are being forced to leave Camp Mirage, a military base in Dubai used to supply Canadian forces in Afghanistan.

The UAE official spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because of standing government rules on behind-the-scenes briefings.  Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon said the lack of support from Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff for Canada's bid helped scuttle it, an assertion Ignatieff called "ridiculous."  The Liberals have also criticized the Conservative government's handling of negotiations with the UAE, but NDP defence critic Jack Harris said he supported the government on the issue.

© The Canadian Press, 2010

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/10/14/canada-uae-un-security-council.html#ixzz12M6MezNT

Let's be honest though, don't think this is what really decided the outcome of the sit. Once Germany won the first round, it was going to be tough for Canada to gain a sit. Why don't we fight for a permanent sit too? Pearson will be turning in his grave

In 1945 we could and, arguably should have had out own, permanent seat on the UNSC. In 1945 Canada was one of the 'great powers' and Truman/Byrnes and Atlee/Bevin wanted Canada rather than France on the UNSC.

King (the Canadian PM) was an instinctive isolationist who was just relieved that he had, barely, managed to 'survive' the war with Canada more or less intact. He recoiled at the thought that 'little Canada' might have a seat at the 'top table' with America, Britain, Russia and China and could, potentially, become involved in 'keeping' the new and possibly fragile peace. King wanted none of it or of the big, dangerous world.

Thus are great opportunities lost by small men.

Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan air bases could host Canadian planes

Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan air bases could host Canadian planes
By BRYN WEESE, Parliamentary Bureau
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2010/10/18/15736361.html

OTTAWA — The Canadian government is considering a German air base in Uzbekistan or an American air base in Kyrgyzstan as a possible short-term fix for the loss of Camp Mirage, the Canadian air base near Dubai, Qmi Agency has learned.

The United Arab Emirates is evicting the Canadian Forces from Camp Mirage in three weeks because the Canadian government refuses to grant the country's national airlines additional flights to Canada.

Without Mirage, the Canadian Forces require another site near Afghanistan from which to fly cargo in and out of the country.

A senior defence department source confirmed two possible temporary replacements: Germany's air base in Termez, Uzbekistan, and the U.S. air base in Manas, Kyrgyzstan.

Both countries have bad reputations internationally — Uzbekistan as a dictatorship and Kyrgyzstan as a country rife with political instability.

On Sunday, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said several potential locations have been identified, "that will replace the forward operating nature that Camp Mirage has provided for us.”

"There's negotiations happening right now between planners at my department as well as foreign affairs to secure an alternate location," he said.

But neither MacKay nor Catherine Loubier, a spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon, would identify the possible locations.

"We can't comment on operational matters that say anything about where we're going and what it represents and logistics, because of obvious reasons. It wouldn't be secure to do that," she said. "We are currently supported by several locations in the world.

"That's going to remain."

Navy Capt. Dave Scanlon, the senior spokesman for the defence department, said without Mirage, Canada would need stop-over locations en route to Afghanistan.

He added, though, neither Termez nor Manas are scheduled to receive major investments in Canadian assets.

"But if you're hearing that there's a possibility we could have places that we need to phase through — or pass through — like a connecting airport concept, then that might be a possibility," Scanlon said.

Camp Mirage was an open secret in Ottawa, with the Canadian Forces and the government never officially confirming its existence or role.

Located in the UAE Al Minhad air force base, Mirage is a trans-load facility established in 2001 as a hub to resupply the 2,750 Canadian troops fighting in Kandahar.

I wonder what this little spat between the UAE and Canada will do for those other Canadians working in the UAE. There are 27,000 Canadians and about 200 Canadian companies. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Perhaps another pebble in the shoe that is CAN-UAE relations lately?
Canadian officials are being tight-lipped over claims a suspect in the killing of a Hamas leader in Dubai earlier this year has been arrested in Canada.

Lt.-Gen. Dahi Khalfan Tamim, the Dubai police chief, told broadcaster Al-Arabiya that Canada informed United Arab Emirates officials back in June about the arrest but were asked that it not be announced. He claimed that officials are covering it up.

"I am astonished," he said. "Why this attempt to cover up on this issue? We must act transparent, reliably and quickly in such cases."

The federal government had no immediate comment on his remarks. Canada's consul general in Dubai, Kris Panday, told The Associated Press he had no comment ....
More at CBC.ca here and Al Arabiya here.

I believe most of Dubai is being built by Canadians~~~~

So much for political sword jingling~~~~~~

Do the words "bug out" mean anything in the air force???

Three weeks notice to move, with all that kit and equipment, luckily we have Hercs somewhere in the area~~~ ::)

Back