• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camp Experiences

Cdt. Wo.Pongo said:
I don't really take time to read every respond, so if this has already been said sorry. If you have a red sash and/or a white belt be prepared to take them off. My advice is to leave them at home and ask your commanding officer for a green belt. Also never tell somebody that you aren't going to eat, they will force you to eat and watch you for the rest of the day. So eat every meal and freshie, it gives you energy that you loose while training. I think the most important advice I will be able to give you is have fun, enjoy your stay, make lots of friends, and do you best. If you do all of that, summer camp should be splendid.

Have fun
Cadet. Wo. Pongo

You should probably specify Course Cadets with the Sash remark, anyone affiliated with an Infantry unit holding the rank of Sgt. or above is allowed to wear it depending on dress of the day and you can't forget the mess dinner, at least thats how it is in Vernon

and why would you not eat? I know every once and a while the mess comes up with some bogus stuff, and the deep fried hashbrowns start to suck after awhile, but there is enough there for even the pickiest of eaters, I can remember on some hot days where all I ate was watermelon, cantaloupe and few other things from the salad bar, you can't do that at home

also, do not drink more than 3 to 5 cups of freshie (especially the orange) because otherwise you feel woozy, Your best friends in the world are Storesmans / CQ's, anyone working in Stores and Cooks, especially the cooks

ryanmann356 said:
SHOWER!!!!!!! for the love of all things holy SHOWER!!!!  We had a guy in our barracks that showered like once a week  :crybaby:  if you dont want to be hated for 6 weeks smell good.  and AXE does NOT count as shower in a can.

At vernon, last summer, axe was made a prohibited item, (do to 2004)people spraying too much on and having A: People who were allergic to it having serious problems or B: Doing something they werent suppose to with it, there for do not bring Axe if your headed to Vernon

George Wallace said:
If you really do want to do that, you may want to practice better grammar, sentence structure, and spelling, as those are the Hallmarks of that Trade.
Oh.....snap.

Papke said:
At vernon, last summer, axe was made a prohibited item, (do to 2004)people spraying too much on and having A: People who were allergic to it having serious problems or B: Doing something they werent suppose to with it, there for do not bring Axe if your headed to Vernon

It depends on who does your kit inspection.  A friend of mine at NSCE got his axe confiscated while another was able to hold onto his.  Anyway, if you want to be popular.....SHOWER!!!
However I do believe that the axe body wash is still ok to have if i'm not mistaken.  Anyway you dont really need any perfume or junk like that because odds are after a couple hours in the vernon heat all of it will be washed away in your sweat.  And once again you will smell like a recently deceased carp, which brings me back to what I originally said. SHOWER!!!!

well it was on the contraband list for the summer of O5, and oh boy they did not like finding it in your locker during the summer, also to it was taken away from all cadets, Staff included during intake  But this would be in the joining instructions for the camp, you are attending.

Another point, to all Cadets, where your combats with pride, it is a privledge to where them, do not give the powers that be, reason to take it away from you, by wearing them improperly and always make sure
- your pants are bloused properly,
- boots blackened (when you can),
- rolled up sleeves are squared, remember the 3 finger rule,
- make sure all your buttons are done up
- Males Clean Shaven?
- Tilley Hats Starched and Ironed
- Canteen filled up and straps on your webbelt tucked in
- Pencil, Pen and notebook / FMP (Always)
- 5 minutes early for your timing
- Make sure you get a watch so you can follow the last rule

and when you walk out that door, with your combats perfect, walk out the door, stand in the doorway (grasp the bottoms of your collars to straighten them out, and say to yourself "Damn I Look Sexy" this was advice that given to my platoon in '04

although say it in your head, no one wants to hear half the Plt. screaming out "Damn I Look Sexy" every time they exit the building to form up. *This did happen once or twice*  ;D

Edit: Also wiping down your boots with a wet cloth also works in a pinch as well

Papke said:
and when you walk out that door, with your combats perfect, walk out the door, stand in the doorway (grasp the bottoms of your collars to straighten them out, and say to yourself "Damn I Look Sexy" this was advice that given to my platoon in '04

Snapping your fingers at a mirror and winking at yourself is also quite effective too  ;D the only thing left is the twinkling white teethe

But seriousely, nothing pisses off a platoon WO or Sgt more than unblowsed unblackened boots.  If your in a pinch, rinsing your boots quickly in a sink or shower works quite well, although only temporarily, and if you dont have bootbands you can buy them at the canteen or use elastic bands

I never had a problem using the strings on the pants to blouse my boots, as long as the strings arent stiched in on one side

I always figured out a way to tuck my combats into my boots perfectly so that were bloused proper, my boots were tied proper(and stayed tied for the whole day). It's all in practise though, and if you have a lot of time where you have nothing to do practise doing that. Eventually do it faster and faster, until you can do it properly in a short amount of time. I did that and I had the best bloused pants in my platoon. I was proud of myself.

The best advice I could give a new Cadet is to practice making a bed in advance. A sharp bed can excel you further than one could think of such a simple thing. If you become very proficient at this, offer to do comrads beds for a charge. Remember to concentrate on yours first however. In one three week course I made roughfly 60$ making beds alone. Well worth the time.

$@rge said:
The best advice I could give a new Cadet is to practice making a bed in advance. A sharp bed can excel you further than one could think of such a simple thing. If you become very proficient at this, offer to do comrads beds for a charge. Remember to concentrate on yours first however. In one three week course I made roughfly 60$ making beds alone. Well worth the time.

Boy are you in for a wake up call if you decide to progress to the Regs or Reserve. You don't make money off of helping your buddies, ever hear of teamwork? You all have to do the same stuff and there are no rewards for individuals, I suggest you think about that before joining, if that is your plan. Ever consider what will happen to you should the DS find out about your little enterprise?

Have fun with your 60 bucks, I'd rather have the respect of my course mates.

I would never make someones bed for them even for money. They need to learn how to do it themselves, and besides, I would most likely have something else to do, like polish my boots, blacken my combat boots. Or improve my bed.

Team

Work

It's not that I disagree with you, but you all must work together. If one guy has issues making his bed then you give him a hand so that you all don't get jacked just for his mistakes, that's how you work as a team. That same guy might suck at beds but my be a whiz at boots and may help you with yours. See where this is going?

The best way to clean your tent is to find out what people are good at and then split them up according to that. I have always been good at making a pretty sharp bed so I would end up doing beds, while someone else would be dusting or lining up everyones boots etc. You can also rotate people around so they are not doing the same thing over again. The only problem you may have is the kid who never wants to carry his share, but when they get bad enough the section Sgt. will sort them out. Work as a team!

This summer on my CLI course I was the top candidate in my platoon and I had a chance at the top in my company. The day that they chose to inspect the top cadet from each platoon was our sports day, so our tent was really messy. Once my tentmates found out that I was about to be inspected in 15 minutes they got almost the whole platoon in to our tent to clean it up because they wanted someone from their platoon to be the top cadet. It was the fastest clean up ever and I had the greatest feeling ever, knowing that my platoon had worked so well as a team just so I could be the top cadet. It made me feel that much better when I did get selected as the top cadet!

Scott said:
Team

Work

It's not that I disagree with you, but you all must work together. If one guy has issues making his bed then you give him a hand so that you all don't get jacked just for his mistakes, that's how you work as a team. That same guy might suck at beds but my be a whiz at boots and may help you with yours. See where this is going?

Yeah I agree that you should help a buddy out if he/she is having a problem but, don't do the work for them!

Cdt. Wo.Pongo said:
don't do the work for them!
How do you think you first learned how to make a bed at camp?

Your staff took everyone in a semi circle around the bunk, and explained every step in detail as they did it, and they made the bed.

ouyin2000 said:

Your staff took everyone in a semi circle around the bunk, and explained every step in detail as they did it, and they made the bed.

Then tore it apart.....lol

Springroll said:
Then tore it apart.....lol
Oh, I know the answer to this, so you could do it yourself. ;)

Kyle Burrows said:
Oh, I know the answer to this, so you could do it yourself. ;)

For having the correct answer you win a Newwwww TOASTER!!!!   ;D

ouyin2000 said:

My staff only watched us do it and helped us out, because it was more efficiant then making a bed for us and having us ask them to do it again. They told us how to do it, but we had to make it, and if it was not correct we had to do it again. So I made sure I learned how to do it really fast that way I never had to redo it.

Back