• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Vet Among Those Charged in Belize Shootings

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
Story in the Post Media is reporting a former soldier from Petawawa was involved in a shooting in Belize, a small country in Central America.

Will not post the story as the author has copy right issues.
It is an interesting read, few details, guessing more to come

- mod edit to clarify initial details in thread title -

Last edited by a moderator:
A few details scattered throughout Belize media, with the usual caveats re: none of these allegations have been proven in court, take any MSM accounts (esp. from media you're not familiar with) with at least a tiny grain of salt, and be wary of early reports of any incident ...
Edited to add this account from the Belize police on their official FB site
Sunday, July 31st, 2022

A PUBLIC NOTICE FROM THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE.

The Belize Police Department informs the public that there was a shooting incident earlier this morning at a nightclub in Hopkins Village. There were a total of ten (10) persons were shot and injured during the incident. Two of whom succumbed to their injuries. Also amongst, the injured are three (3) police officers and five (5) civilians some of whom were treated and released, while the others are admitted in stable conditions.

Initial investigation revealed that on Sunday, August 1st,2022, at about 1:00 a.m., three (3) armed male persons arrived at the establishment, kicked open the door, and opened fire at the patrons. They thereafter escaped in a waiting vehicle.

So far the vehicle is impounded by police and the driver is currently being interviewed. Several video footages have been viewed which provided usually information to the investigators.

At this time we have positively identified all three (3) shooters and are currently conducting a nationwide hunt for them.

The Ministry of Home Affairs and New Growth Industries and The Belize Police Department take this opportunity to extend condolences to the families of the deceased victims and wish the injured a full and speedy recovery.

We have assigned a senior investigating team to this incident, which is headed by ACP Alden Dawson.

We assured the citizen of Hopkins and the entire country that we will vigorously pursue those responsible and will leave no stone unturned to bring them to justice.

Last edited:
Just a quick reminder: if you see Canadian media outlets carrying the story & want to share a link, be sure it's not from a Postmedia-affiliated outlet. Even if it doesn't have the reporter's by-line, there's a good chance it's the same story if it's coming from the Postmedia/National Post/Toronto Sun chain, which shouldn't be shared here according to site rules.

Milnet.ca Staff

Last edited:
Just a quick reminder: if you see Canadian media outlets carrying the story & want to share a link, be sure it's not from a Postmedia-affiliated outlet. Even if it doesn't have the reporter's by-line, there's a good chance it's the same story if it's coming from the Postmedia/National Post/Toronto Sun chain, which shouldn't be shared here according to site rules.

Milnet.ca Staff
So, a question please. It was standard practice to not post articles if his name appeared as the author. Now we're saying no article from that whole chain can be posted in case he might've had a hand in writing something even if it's not showing him as the writer??

Last edited:
So, a question please. It was standard practice to leave a certain individual out if his name appeared as the author. Now we're saying nothing is allowed by the chain he works for?
Nope, just warning folks that the same story/content could appear without mention of the writer in other media who are allowed to use the same content, so the content is still covered under the "don't post this content" rules.

If stories from this chain are written by another reporter, or clearly identified as being from a wire service, no problems sharing that.

Hope that clarifies.

Nope, just warning folks that the same story/content could appear without mention of the writer in other media who are allowed to use the same content, so the content is still covered under the "don't post this content" rules.

If stories from this chain are written by another reporter, or clearly identified as being from a wire service, no problems sharing that.

Hope that clarifies.

Comedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

OK, here's a better rubric (I hope)
  • Story/content written by x, no matter which outlet? Can't be shared.
  • Same story/content, even without x's name (as member outlets are allowed to cut/paste/share)? Still no go.
  • Rewritten story with no byline or mention of x in Postmedia/Nat'l Post/Sun? Good to go.
  • Story written by a, b, c or z in the same outlets? Good to go.
  • Stuff on Postmedia/Nat'l Post/Sun NOT by x? Good to go.
Thanks, all, for your patience in awaiting a semi-clear explanation :)

Last edited:
The first story I read about this referenced he was in the military like 7 times. Really made a point about it, including mentioning he was in OP Medusa 🙄

Hope that clarifies.
the hangover math GIF

The first story I read about this referenced he was in the military like 7 times. Really made a point about it, including mentioning he was in OP Medusa 🙄
Probably because of their special getaway driver training from that roto

Sometimes when I see a detail like that- I wonder how that caught the eye of the reporter that THAT is germane to the story

Sometimes when I see a detail like that- I wonder how that caught the eye of the reporter that THAT is germane to the story
Betcha someone scanned social media before it was scrubbed.

Or, maybe closer scrutiny because the guy was a foreigner?

Still nowhere near the awesome level of getaway driving from Baby Driver… 😉

Bit of Belize media pulling apart of an interview Smith did after getting to Belize explaining why he'd move there & what he was wrestling with that led him to leave Canada

Bit of Belize media pulling apart of an interview Smith did after getting to Belize explaining why he'd move there & what he was wrestling with that led him to leave Canada
A lot of it seems to try to blame him for the actions of the shooters…

Back