• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF uniforms don't have sizes for fit guys

MrBlue said:
WIDE-LEGGED DEU PANTS?

Are we getting same DEU pants...mine are like friggin spandex, and I have to wear a 40" waist (2-3 sizes to big in the waist) to fit my legs.

Totally agree about the shirts though

Let's admit it now; Logistik Unicorp can't get their act together.  I don't think it is the uniforms that are the problem, as much as the Supplier out of Montreal.  My initial issues with them began in 2005 when I was measured by the Tailors at the Tailor Shop in CFSU Ottawa and the measurements sent to Logistik Unicorp, only to have the wrong size tunic sent to me requiring it to be sent back.  My last problem with them was the fur cap; where they had my measurements, and sent me a cap, size SMALL instead of size LARGE. 

MrBlue said:
WIDE-LEGGED DEU PANTS?

Are we getting same DEU pants...mine are like friggin spandex, and I have to wear a 40" waist (2-3 sizes to big in the waist) to fit my legs.

Totally agree about the shirts though

Was meaning from the knee down. Not quite bell bottoms, but mine practically cover the entire shoe (unless, of course, you get floodies).

Agree the thighs can be tight.

Jim Seggie said:
I take it that you are an iron pumper? Not to be a jerk, but if you are going to gain that kind of mass, be prepared to fork out some $$ to tailor your uniforms.

Shouldnt Have to- Gaining mass or not, becoming stronger, in better physical shape is exactly what the CAF wants us to do. By that logic we should be tailoring our own tunics to fit chest arms and shoulder, which is what the initial split was about.

And those are regular run of the mill jeans.

George Wallace said:
Let's admit it now; Logistik Unicorp can't get their act together.  I don't think it is the uniforms that are the problem, as much as the Supplier out of Montreal.  My initial issues with them began in 2005 when I was measured by the Tailors at the Tailor Shop in CFSU Ottawa and the measurements sent to Logistik Unicorp, only to have the wrong size tunic sent to me requiring it to be sent back.  My last problem with them was the fur cap; where they had my measurements, and sent me a cap, size SMALL instead of size LARGE. 

Even in Basic on 06, YES GW, Just did my basic in 06- I have to be issued a set of DEUs for my grad parade from Basic.

Messorius said:
Are they as good as the men's? A guy at my unit gave me a spare pare of his that didn't fit anymore. Holy mother of God it was like Christmas come early. No more pleated front-butt.

I haven't tried on a pair of men's pants, so I can't compare, but they're pretty decent. 

Both pictures are horrid...but you can see that the flat front is a bit better :)

There are mechanisms in place to conduct minor alterations to DEU uniforms.  Rather than useless speculation here is the source document and some of the relevant paragrahs for all to peruse.

Source Doc- Supply Administration Manual http://dgmssc.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/matknet/documents/SAM/SAM.pdf (DWAN) 

Supply Administration Manual
Chapter – Clothing and Personnel Equipment

2.61. For all personnel, only minor alterations are authorized at public expense.
Authorized minor alterations to DEU are as follows:

a. DEU tunics
i. Taking in and letting out the side seams
ii. Removal of the excess material just below the back of the collar, often referred to as "raising the back."
iii. Deepening of the armhole
iv. Taking in and letting out the centre back
v. Raising or lowering the sleeve length

b. DEU trousers/slacks
i. Raising or lowering the pant length
ii. Increasing or decreasing the trouser waist
iii. Letting out the thigh

c. DEU skirts
i. Raising or lowering the skirt length
ii. Taking in and letting out side seams
iii. Increasing or decreasing the waist.

More info and restrictions on the source.

This same document goes on to say:

DEU Clothing

2.118. Extended size clothing:

a. Except for those non-stocked items, which are normally issued as made-to-measure, every effort shall be made to equip personnel from standard or peripheral stock sizes. This includes carrying out minor alterations and adjustments to obtain a reasonable fit. Extended size ranges, available online, should be demanded prior to having a made to measure garment manufactured locally. The extended size range for DEU garments are manufactured by increasing or decreasing the dimensions of the DND paper patterns/specification to accommodate, for example an increase in chest size from a 52 inch to a 54 inch, and should not be confused with a requirement for a “made to measure” garment to accommodate body shapes outside the parameters of these DND specifications. Special size NSNs are available on the C3-01 website C3 contract page.

b. Personnel who cannot be fitted from the catalogued or extended size range are entitled to the issue of made to measure items, not exceeding the quantity authorized by the applicable EGC.

c. When individuals require made to measure garments, B/W/S SupO shall confirm all requests prior to initiating procurement action. B/S/W fund locally purchased made to measure requirements from command allotments. If an individual is undergoing training at a unit other than his home unit, funding for made to measure clothing, special size footwear and equipment should be requested from the individual’s home unit.

d. Extended size demands for initial issues made through Clothing Online are automatically recorded against the individual’s personal online record.

e. Initial issues of made to measure DEU kit purchased locally for all CF members must be reported to DGLEPM/DSSPM Clothing Online office to facilitate the recording of the issue against the member’s online account. Replacement issues of made to measure DEU kit purchased locally items for Regular and Reserve personnel must also be reported to DSSPM to facilitate the reduction of the members online point allocation.

f. When replacement of made to measure DEU kit items are purchased locally the applicable number of points must be removed from the individual’s account. Prior to ordering replacement made to measure clothing, or special size shoes or oxfords, the individual must advise clothing stores if he/she has sufficient points in their account to cover the purchase. If the individual does not have enough points payment must be received prior to ordering the made to measure or special size footwear. Clothing stores must forward details of made to measure or special size footwear purchases including members name, SN, item purchased to DSSPM email who will have the applicable number of points removed from the members account.

In other words, if you are unable to be fitted off the rack, you are entitled to custom-made items.  You have to go through clothing stores to get it, but you use your Clothing-on-Line points to "pay" for it.  And you pay the same price as if you were getting them off the rack.  If you decide to take up body-building and significantly alter your body shape, you are not entitled to a free issue of new service dress items, but you can get new  replacement items, using your points.  However, if your change in body shape is for medical reasons (e.g. weight loss or gain) then you may be entitled to a complete "initial" issue of service dress without resorting to using your points.  Operational dress is simply exchanged.

FSTO said:
There is no reason at all for higher HQ's to be wearing operational clothing in the office. That clothing is the most expensive in our inventory and should only be worn when flying, in the field or when at sea. And I don't believe for a second it makes you more operationally focused in the office. If our people can't do their jobs unless they wear a certain article of clothing then we have bigger problems.

We could have a uniform for the Garrison and Office and call it Work Dress

Colin P said:
We could have a uniform for the Garrison and Office and call it Work Dress

Riiiiiight ...  and you could blouse your work dress trousers over polished combat boots and maybe even have a neat jacket, festooned with gee gaws and "high visibility" rank badges.

100_9221.jpg

;)

E.R. Campbell said:
Riiiiiight ...  and you could blouse your work dress trousers over polished combat boots and maybe even have a neat jacket, festooned with gee gaws and "high visibility" rank badges.

100_9221.jpg

;)

Wow.  I've heard about this, but it's about 10000000x uglier than I would have thought.

In fairness I think the idea had merit, all government uniforms were made to pretty much the same cut and the puke green shirts were difficult to distinguish as military. The idea to make the military instantly recognizable and distinct was good, just the execution was flawed. I left before the Tan uniforms came in, but would have happily taken that over the pukish green of the Work Dress, which was good at hiding stains if nothing else.

Rather than create a whole new topic...

I just received my initial issue of DEU, however my measurements were all out to lunch. Everything is much too large.

Do I return the shirts, pants, tunic to Logistik or should I just seek a tailor and submit a claim? I'll have to return the coat, rain jacket, and sweater anyway...

RedcapCrusader said:

I just received my initial issue of DEU, however my measurements were all out to lunch. Everything is much too large.

Do I return the shirts, pants, tunic to Logistik or should I just seek a tailor and submit a claim? I'll have to return the coat, rain jacket, and sweater anyway...

Don't worry.  You will grow into them.

In all seriousness; go to the "Base Tailor" and have your tunic and pants adjusted (if they are not exorbitantly large -- see note at end) .  The shirts, you can  return to Logistik and have them exchanged for the correct size.  There should be a shipping label accompanying your package with the return address to Logistik for that purpose. 

NOTE:  After being sized by the "Base Tailor", my tunic arrive in a size too small.  The "Base Tailor" returned it for me and I was eventually properly fitted.  Later I ordered the Fur Cap through Logistik and although they have all my measurements on file, they mailed me a cap that was size SMALL.  I returned it with the shipping label provided in the package and was able to get the correct size.  It is my belief that Logistik has some serious problems in their warehousing and shipping departments, where they constantly make mistakes in what is shipped to their customers.  As demonstrated by the OP, this is not an isolated case, but a continuing problem with Logistik.

For your information:

LOGISTIK
Customer Service
info@logistikunicorp.com
Tel:  1-888-326-8688
Fax:  1-888-326-8690

820 chemin du Grand-Bernier Nord
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec        J2W 0A6

RedcapCrusader said:

Reserve initial order of DEU I am assuming?  Was it ordered through clothing stores?  Were you sized by hand or that retarded machine? 

If ordered by clothing stores, go back and have them sent it back for the correct sizes.  If you recieved it from stuff you ordered yourself, return the stuff and reorder by changing the sizes on the your logistics profile.  Once you recieve stuff that roughly fits ok then the tailor can work with it.  They can probably work with what you have but it sounds like it is really off and it is better to have your size profile at LogisticUnicorps changed.

George Wallace said:
  It is my belief that Logistik has some serious problems in their warehousing and shipping departments, where they constantly make mistakes in what is shipped to their customers.  As demonstrated by the OP, this is not an isolated case, but a continuing problem with Logistik.

I have heard a few rumblings over the past few years.  It would be interesting to see their return stats.  Other than slower shipping times than previous years, I have had nothing but success with my ordering including changing sizes for my ever expanding body....

MJP said:
Reserve initial order of DEU I am assuming?  Was it ordered through clothing stores?  Were you sized by hand or that retarded machine? 

If ordered by clothing stores, go back and have them sent it back for the correct sizes.  If you recieved it from stuff you ordered yourself, return the stuff and reorder by changing the sizes on the your logistics profile.  Once you recieve stuff that roughly fits ok then the tailor can work with it.  They can probably work with what you have but it sounds like it is really off and it is better to have your size profile at LogisticUnicorps changed.

I have heard a few rumblings over the past few years.  It would be interesting to see their return stats.  Other than slower shipping times than previous years, I have had nothing but success with my ordering including changing sizes for my ever expanding body....

I was measured by hand and the order sent by ASU Calgary clothing stores. There's no base tailor here anymore so either way, I'm either taking a day trip to Edmonton or just sending back (which is probably the beat choice).

I'm getting fitted for a suit today anyway and will have proper measurements to use.

Our "stores" don't qualify as stores anymore. All it is is a counter where they place orders ans receive shipments. I've never had anything accurate come out of this place since they shut it down from being a real Supply Stores for Southern Alberta.