• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Ranks and Pay

crlemesur

Inactive
Reaction score
The Canadian Armed Forces website provides officer payscales for Officer Cadets and up. However, to my knowledge, the equivalent ranks in the Navy are named differently than those of the Army and Airforce. So looking at the Captain payscale on the website, how does it differ from a Lieutenant's in the Navy considering they're equivalent ranks (or am I wrong)? Find the link below to the ranks of all three environmental commands from which I am getting this info. Sorry for the confusion if any.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/insignia-flags/ranks/rank-appointment-insignia.html

crlemesur said:
However, to my knowledge, the equivalent ranks in the Navy are named differently than those of the Army and Airforce.

This may help,

https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Canadian_Army_Rank_Insignia#Commissioned_Officers

crlemesur said:
The Canadian Armed Forces website provides officer payscales for Officer Cadets and up. However, to my knowledge, the equivalent ranks in the Navy are named differently than those of the Army and Airforce. So looking at the Captain payscale on the website, how does it differ from a Lieutenant's in the Navy considering they're equivalent ranks (or am I wrong)? Find the link below to the ranks of all three environmental commands from which I am getting this info. Sorry for the confusion if any.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/insignia-flags/ranks/rank-appointment-insignia.html

Do you want the law, the historical/tradition context or sarcasm.

Sarcasm - Yeah, since navy types want to be called by a different rank title then they should expect to be paid phonetically according to the pay scales.  ::)

The historical/traditional context would take too long to explain and depending on who spins the tale it could be as contradictory as some of the discussions in the political threads.

The law - Ranks in the Canadian Forces are set out the National Defence Act

Ranks of officers and non-commissioned members

21 (1) For the purposes of this Act, the ranks of the officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces shall be as set out in the schedule.

If you look at the schedule you will note that it includes only the ranks as are mentioned in the pay scales.  This is to be expected as all regulations, instructions and orders dealing with the organization, administration and operation of the Canadian Forces emanates from the NDA.  Everybody who is a member of the Canadian Forces will hold a rank that is listed in that schedule regardless of the colour of his uniform.  In order to accommodate those who want to be called something else regulations (specifically Queen's Regulations and Orders) prescribes what that will be.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-queens-regulations-orders-vol-01/ch-03.page
3.01 – RANKS AND DESIGNATION OF RANKS

(1) The ranks of officers and non-commissioned members are set out in the schedule to the National Defence Act which is reproduced in column 1 of the table to this article.

(2) The designation of ranks of officers and non-commissioned members are prescribed in columns 2, 3 and 4 of the table and shall only be used in those circumstances prescribed in paragraphs (3) to (5).

(3) An officer or non-commissioned member who holds a rank set out in column 1 of the table and who, in accordance with orders and instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, wears a naval uniform, shall use, or be referred to by, the designation of rank set out in column 2 opposite that rank or, if there is more than one designation set out for that rank, the designation that is in accordance with the qualifications and seniority in rank of the officer or non-commissioned member.

. . .

So, it doesn't matter that the pay scales don't have navy ranks listed because "legally" there is only one schedule of ranks and there are no navy ranks on it.

crlemesur said:

I'm confused at what you're trying to get at.

The ranks listed are the ranks' names. I have no idea where you see a difference in the payscale between Army/Air Force Captain and Navy Lieutenant since there is none.

OceanBonfire said:
I'm confused at what you're trying to get at.

The ranks listed are the ranks' names. I have no idea where you see a difference in the payscale between Army/Air Force Captain and Navy Lieutenant since there is none.

Yea, I'm not sure what his tangent was about either.

To answer your actual question, there is no difference in pay scale between the Army/Airforce ranks, and the Navy Ranks.

Simply translate the Army/Air Force ranks into Navy ranks, and you have the Navy Pay Scale.

I.e. For a Sub-Lieutenant, use the 2nd Lieutenant row. For Lieutenant(N), use the Capt row. For Commander, use the Lieutenant Colonel row. Etc.

Another way to look at it is by considering the way that NATO standardizes ranks across countries. NATO gives each rank a "level". For officers, they go from OF-1 to OF-10 (of note, we don't have any OF-10s in Canada). The rank of Capt (Army/Airforce) is OF-2, and the Navy equivalent of OF-2 is Lieutenant (N). These would have the same pay scale, as they are both the same officer "level".

See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Armed_Forces_ranks_and_insignia

Clear?

Back