• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF now re-open to Permanent Residents

Now PRs can experience the year-long recruiting process and postings to insanely high COL areas.

But who will we get to drive Uber and Doordash around the base while they wait for their insanely long initial training period and enrollment? 🤣

Not recognizing foreign service in an allied state is something we need to fix. I have a private thats an ex IDF Airborne combat engineer, should be warrant with his experience, but here he is waiting for DP1....
You think that's bad, I worked with a guy who immigrated to Canada and was Ex-French SF. Not like Foreign Legion either (who are not SF), legit Tier 1 SF (he was a sniper in the French Para Commandos).

Anyways, he moved to Québec and was working random jobs and tried to enroll and they just kept screwing around for two or three years. They finally call him (he had applied to be an Infanteer (wanted to work with the Vandoos) as he had met a bunch at shooting competitions in Québec.

When they called him, the only trade they offered him was Steward and they told him it was the only one open. He is convinced to this day that it is because he was from France and Québecers hate the French.

The fat Québecer Sgt's words were: "take it or leave it".

The guy is older but he is really fit, can probably outrun 99% of the CAF, no prob. Has a couple of deployments to Africa and Afghanistan. What do we got him doing:

Peeling carrots 🤬

Yah we are a bunch of idiots, I remain unconvinced the CAF can change its spots.

But who will we get to drive Uber and Doordash around the base while they wait for their insanely long initial training period and enrollment? 🤣

You think that's bad, I worked with a guy who immigrated to Canada and was Ex-French SF. Not like Foreign Legion either (who are not SF), legit Tier 1 SF (he was a sniper in the French Para Commandos).

Anyways, he moved to Québec and was working random jobs and tried to enroll and they just kept screwing around for two or three years. They finally call him (he had applied to be an Infanteer (wanted to work with the Vandoos) as he had met a bunch at shooting competitions in Québec.

When they called him, the only trade they offered him was Steward and they told him it was the only one open. He is convinced to this day that it is because he was from France and Québecers hate the French.

The guy is older but he is really fit, can probably outrun 99% of the CAF, no prob. Has a couple of deployments to Africa and Afghanistan. What do we got him doing:

Peeling carrots 🤬

Yah we are a bunch of idiots, I remain unconvinced the CAF can change its spots.
If that person isn't at least in NTOG (or more likely CANSOF) by now, some Divisional Officer needs to get their head checked.

I suspect that the people who have done well under the status quo have little interest in changing much, or if they do want to change things it's only to make reaching their level harder.

When I was a wee Cpl I was part of a QS writing board form my trade's new DP1 course, and it was an eye-opening experience. The MWO leading things proudly proclaimed that he wouldn't even be eligible to be recruited into the trade based on the changes we were making, explaining that the entry education standards and CFAT scores would be going up because we were making the course more difficult.

Now the occupation is pretty deep in the red, and we've had to lower the CFAT, education, and geo standards for entry just to try to get enough people in the doors to run a DP1 course.

Now the occupation is pretty deep in the red, and we've had to lower the CFAT, education, and geo standards for entry just to try to get enough people in the doors to run a DP1 course.
Lowering entry standards without changing the OS and related QS / TPs just means more training failures.

Lowering entry standards without changing the OS and related QS / TPs just means more training failures.
Not if the standards were artificially inflated to make the occupation seem more difficult in a silly attempt to get spec pay...

Also, it's better to fail three from a course than not run one because we fail to meet the minimum number of students.

Peeling carrots 🤬

Having worked with French SF, they aren’t a tier 1 entity nor are they viewed as one.
The French break mission sets out oddly - so the military doesn’t get Tier 1 roles, their National Police and Intelligence entities conduct roles that a typical Tier 1 Mil unit would do.

But yeah, even given that, it’s seems a little silly they would factor in the fact they probably would have been a good fit in a Para unit, or sent to CSOR for whatever their basic qual is these days.

Having worked with French SF, they aren’t a tier 1 entity nor are they viewed as one.
The French break mission sets out oddly - so the military doesn’t get Tier 1 roles, their National Police and Intelligence entities conduct roles that a typical Tier 1 Mil unit would do.

But yeah, even given that, it’s seems a little silly they would factor in the fact they probably would have been a good fit in a Para unit, or sent to CSOR for whatever their basic qual is these days.
Understood @KevinB but given the fact this person served in COS, an assessment of what role if any they could have slid into probably would have been helpful.

Even if the true Elite Units within France are with DGSE and GIGN, the COS still has a far greater capability than CANSOFCOM does just by virtue of size and budget.

Last edited:
Wait you think people fail courses now? That’s the instructors failing you I’ll have you know.

CLC instructor; students don’t fail, you fail your students.

60% course washout rate

Back