• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Beard policy-CANFORGEN 158/18

Remius said:
6 months from now...

In other breaking news: in light of the new CAF beard policy the CANSOF dress comitee has voted unanimously to ban beards.  Thousands of reservists immediately shave.

For the win!  :rofl:

PMedMoe said:

I don't think I ever heard of anyone with a "no shave" chit being on a PCat or not deploying...  :dunno:

A no shave chit would be permanent MELS and could affect deployments depending on the risk factors but I agree that it shouldn't be a big issue. I haven't run it to anyone who has been refused a deployment because of his no shave chit.

I have yet to see a beard chit that banned shaving under all circumstances, there has always been a caveat allowing the member being ordered to shave for valid operational reasons otherwise they would be high risk instead of low risk.

Thank God! After all these years the troops can grow facial hair. Yuge win! Now they can move on to all the trivial crap, like boots, mukluks, sleeping bags, etc. Y'know, the nice to haves, but nothing on the scale of a flourishing face full of pubic hair.

Old EO Tech said:
Hopefully not, the message already gives CO's the authority to order members to shave of "unsuccessful attempts".  That statement should be suitably broad to even make certain CoC happy :-/

Yet several locations have already told their people to wait out, continue shaving until further direction can be given on how they'll enforce this policy.

:facepalm:

cld617 said:
Yet several locations have already told their people to wait out, continue shaving until further direction can be given on how they'll enforce this policy.

:facepalm:

Yes that is pretty dumb, what is there to clarify.  Well I can say at least the Comd 3 Div sent out an email today saying there will be no further direction on this, the CANFORGEN is clear and gives CO's sufficient authority.

Old EO Tech said:
Yes that is pretty dumb, what is there to clarify.  Well I can say at least the Comd 3 Div sent out an email today saying there will be no further direction on this, the CANFORGEN is clear and gives CO's sufficient authority.

To be fair the policy came with no warning, so there was no time to prepare specific direction at the unit level...  :facepalm::dunno:

Navy_Pete said:
To be fair the policy came with no warning, so there was no time to prepare specific direction at the unit level...  :facepalm::dunno:

That is not the case were I am, everyone knew this was coming, to the point that the Comd 1CMBG authorized beards two weeks ago ahead of the CFG, and then repelled that action after consulting with his boss :-/  But it was well known across the CA from speaking with my peers.

Navy_Pete said:

Has your unit been living with their head in the sand? This has been rumoured for months.

I think that Sgt Gervais has done an excellent job of modeling the correct way to wear a beard in DEU :)

Attachments

• beardforgen.jpg
    beardforgen.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 636
PuckChaser said:
Has your unit been living with their head in the sand? This has been rumoured for months.

....sorry, forgot the /sarcasm bit.

This has been far more than just RUMINT for months, and pretty sure the actual details were kicked around the dress committee and chief network since the start of the summer, so someone claiming now that it needs time for a unit policy is a micromanaging tool.  At most, would have expected ships (or other units with existing shaving requirements) to simply remind folks those policies still apply ahead of time, knowing this was coming down the pipes. 

Tracking now.

Absolutely. The L1s knew about this months ago, and a few weeks ago the Armed Forces Council was dominated by J1 issues, instead of J3 issues.

So if someone OTs, does that mean they have to shave off their beard since they are not OFP in their new trade?

sidemount said:
So if someone OTs, does that mean they have to shave off their beard since they are not OFP in their new trade?

Seems so. Their OFP is now that of the new trade, not their old one.

PuckChaser said:
Seems so. Their OFP is now that of the new trade, not their old one.
That's what I was going with but I have been asked the question a few times today.

PuckChaser said:
Absolutely. The L1s knew about this months ago, and a few weeks ago the Armed Forces Council was dominated by J1 issues, instead of J3 issues.

AFC deals more with the '1 side than you'd think - in fact, I'd be hard-pressed to find much of a '3 flavour to its deliberations.

AFC exists to advise the CDS on advice with regards to issues related to the administration, management and employment of the CAF, including Force Development, Force Generation and Force Employment, as well as Force Posture and Readiness.

Most of those issues have a very heavy '1 slant; capability discussions are at Defence Capability Board; resources are at Programme Management Board and the Integrated Resource Management Committee; and '3 discussions would generally occur at the CDS Ops meeting.

(Just don't get confused about whether you're attending DAC, CFDAC or CAFDAC, three similar sounding meetings with three very different mandates: Audit, Decorations and Discipline, respectively...)

sidemount said:
That's what I was going with but I have been asked the question a few times today.

I'm curious to see a black and white definition of what "DP1" is in policy?

ballz said:
I'm curious to see a black and white definition of what "DP1" is in policy?

Well OFP is well defined by MPC for each MOSID, so that should not be in question, though the question about what happens if you change trades is something that needs clarification.

Old EO Tech said:
Well OFP is well defined by MPC for each MOSID, so that should not be in question, though the question about what happens if you change trades is something that needs clarification.

That's right, but it says "UPON ATTAINMENT OF THEIR OPERATIONALLY FUNCTIONAL POINT (OFP) OR HAVING COMPLETED DEVELOPMENTAL PERIOD ONE, WHICHEVER COMES LAST" so what is "development period one?"

I have seen it referred to in a variety of ways and often, in career manager briefings, more so along a spectrum than with a hard and fast point where one goes from DP1 to DP2.

Back