• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CADPAT colours

qjdb

Inactive
Reaction score
My 6-year-old son wants his new bedroom colour scheme to be 'Army', so I am trying to match all 4 colours of Temperate CADPAT.

So, I have a ton of this stuff laying around, and I am trying to do a colour match, but the colour-matching machine at Home Depot did not like trying to match the colours off my wallet  :mad:

Do any of you happen to know what the colours are called?  Or what the colour values are, or something that I can tell the paint store?

Or do you happen to know where there is a really good, clear picture of some CADPAT (TW) on the internet, that I could print out?

This totally sounds like a nooB question, but it is legit, really it is  ;D

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/CADPAT_canadian_design.jpg

Here's a start.

Regards

yeah, the scans of material will be my last choice, if nothing else turns up.

I am hoping for more of a digital version, instead of a scan of material.  The machine tends to get confused with all the shadows between the threads.  Or at least that is what the lady at HD told me.

OK, after doing some fiddling around with Paint, I got a close approximation of the 4 colours of CADPAT (TW)

Tw.jpg

On my screen the brown looks a little brown, but when I print it out on my printer, it is pretty close to the real colour.

Good enough for my purposes, anyways.

While I was at it, I also did it for the Arid Regions version.  In this colour scheme, the only sample I have of it is a name tag, but I took an image off the web for the colours.

Ar.jpg

Thanks all.

Sounds like quite the project.
Have fun painting all those pixels!

no, thankfully, he realizes that Dad is NOT INSANE :eek:, and therefore, the colours will just be used as a scheme, not actually going to paint the pixels.

I might do his dresser, or the rails of his bed, or something like that, in pixels, but not the walls.  I think that I will be looking for some camo netting to do the ceiling with, that kind of idea.

Yeah, I'm crazy, but not insane.

And, after doing the project, I will post pics of it  :)  Of course, it might take a while, so don't hold your breath.

I'd love to see you sitting there punching little squares into cardboard or papers to paint the pixels :D

Last time I was in to WalMart I saw a cadpat material in the sewing section ...

Good for curtains, bedding, throw pillows.

Yeah, Fabricland in Chilliwack had both temperate and arid.  I will probably use that for the curtains.  It's a little stiff for bedding, but I have not thrown it in the washing machine yet to soften it up.

I've seen the MARPAT stuff in Wal-Mart, but not CADPAT stuff yet.
Probably see it more around bases though, Oshawa's far from any CFBs..

I did this in my older boy's room a couple of years ago, but with much larger pixels. It still took a long, long time and I pity the poor bastage who has to paint over it.

If I remember, I'll check for the paint colours when I get home. I had them custom mixed at the Home Depot. I went through a couple of gallons of the light green, and still have a fair amount of the other three colours left, some of which I bought in quart cans.

post them here, in case there is anyone else who is as insane as we are.

do you happen to have any pictures of the room?

Actually wouldn't be hard to paint over... 1 coat of Kilz primer, 2 coats of top coat colour and you're probably set. Unless of course you're painting red... then you need hot pink primer and about 26 coats of paint.  ;D

The colors' hexadecimal codes are as follows:

#69562c
#5e8528

I hope this helps (when you go to the paint shop they may be able to help you with these.)

Regards,
Mike

I've had a screwy few days and have yet to haul out the leftover paint. I shall, though.

It's not hiding the coulours that I'm concerned about when repainting, it's hiding the varying thicknesses of paint.

Okay. I haven't figured out the Home Depot colour coding for these. I have one empty 3.43 L and one empty 857 ml cans of light green and the ingredients vary - the pigments are the same, but the numbers that go with them do not appear to be proportionate. The mixes were based purely on the judgment of the paint lady assisting me; she has a good eye as she nailed the paint colours right from the CADPAT item that I'd taken on the first attempt.

I used  Behr Premium Plus Interior Satin Enamel Acrylic Latex Accent Base No 7600 (same number for both sizes) and Deep Base No 7300 as appropriate for the colours over a primer tinted light grey, applied with a small roller (these were big pixels) and fine brush for touch-up of some corners.

The ingredients for each colour are as follows (read in columns):

Light Green

Accent Base No 7600 3.43 L can, Colour Name "Grape Leaves" 400D-6

Colourant                    OZ    48    96
AX PERM YELLOW        10      0      0
E  THALO BLUE            0    44      0
L  RAW UMBER            2    44      0

Dark Green

Deep Base No 7300 3.43 L can, Colour Name "Jungle Thail" 400D-7

AX PERM YELLOW          9    28      0
D  THALO GREEN          1      0      0
V  MAGENTA                1    32      0

Black

Deep Base No 7300 3.43 L can, Colour Name "Black Suede" S-H-790

B  LAMP BLACK            11    32      0
KX WHITE                    0      8      0
R  EXTERIOR RED        0    40      0
T  MEDIUM YELLOW      1    16      0

Brown

Deep Base No 7300 857 ml can, no colour name specified.

B  LAMP BLACK            0    36      1
I    BROWN OXIDE        0    34      0
T  MEDIUM YELLOW      1      0      1

This is sort of a side question to this one.  How would one paint anything in CADPAT?  Is there a technique? 

If you are doing it at the same scale as the clothing (ie, the pixels being 1 - 2 mm in size), you would probably do a stencil, and then either use a stencil brush, or a spray paint.  There are some really good examples of people doing this to rifles, mostly Americans in MARPAT or ACU colours

These are threads from Lightfighter (sort of the American equivalent to this board, but make an introduction in the correct thread in the Crusader Hall before you make any posts, you will probably need to register to see the pics.)

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/373103967?r=405109828#405109828

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/473101226?r=473101226#473101226

(This one has CADPAT versions) http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/829100313/m/4011054171?r=6421008271#6421008271

This page has some great pictures of the stencils that he used:
http://www.unblock.be/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5taWxpdGFyeW1vcm9ucy5jb20vd2VhcG9ucy9hci5taXNjLmh0bWw%3D (I had to use a redirection site, as my work blocked www.militarymorons.com, but if you want the correct page, go to the site and do a search for "ar15 misc stuff")

If you were going to do a larger area (like a wall in a room), I would guess that you would make up a 'digital' grid on the wall, with light pencil marks, and then figure out which colour was going to go in which square.

Another idea would be to print a CADPAT picture on a mylar sheet, and then use an overhead projector to project it onto the wall, and use that pattern to figure out which colours go where.  Of course, this one would be somewhat distorted at the edges, due to the 'stretching' of the picture from the projector.

If I was doing a larger area, like a room, I would be inclined to do it at a 5cm 'pixel' size, or maybe even larger.  It's not like you are actually using it to really camoflauge something, so if it is not 'effective', it would not really matter.

I saw an SUV in Mission, British Columbia that was done up in a Jungle Stalker colour digital pattern.  I had thought of doing it to my vehicle ;D, but my interior is burgundy, so it would not really match with the CADPAT colours too well. :-X  Yeah, I'm a geek, what's your point?

So, yeah, probably do a base coat in the lighter green, then do highlights in the darker green, black, and brown.  Of course, you will be painting 4 different colours, so like Freeze said, lots of time, and lots of liquid refreshment.  And probably an appointment with a counsellor afterwards.  Of course, I have 2 kids, so I am already certifiably insane.

Yeah, I have put some thought and research to this, I guess. ::)

Gentlemen,

I get a chuckle from this thread. As a tribute to the troops, we just painted our factory Cadpat™Tw. When in Edmonton, check it out. It pops!

Kind Regards
Brian Kroon

Back