• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets with Reserves on FTXs...

about the same reason thatthe regs, for the most part, don't care to have the reserves around. That and they (the reserves) break everything then go home, or take your summer holidays away. But its all been said before I guess.

Slim

Our corp has an abundance of those old .22 Lee Endfields. I remember we used to go out on shooting days each cadet would get issued a rifle and we would take down the serial number. So that it was one man one kit. If you lose or misplace your weapon. You don't shoot. We also have 2 3.03's I don't know why though??
Regards,

primer said:
Well said
Only Sr Cadets (ARMY) above of 15 or 16 and A qualified silver Star may handle a restricted weapon (C-7)Trg with a Support Unit   I may be mistaken.
But cadets can only carry # 4 or # 7 Rifles on parade not Drill C-7s or real C-7s

The C7 is actually a prohibited weapon under the firearms act, as it can fire in automatic.  The Civillian AR-15 rifle (and variants) are considered restricted weapons.

however they are moving to ban these as well. I just took my FAC and they discussed at length the fact that come fall 2005 they wont be sold anymore. The AR-15 civi varient

Edited for clarity

Mandal, this is how I interpret it:

In Canada, The C-7 is a PROHIBITED weapon (i.e. civies cannot buy one).

The AR-15 is a RESTRICTED weapon, and it sounds like it will soon also be prohibited (civies can buy one, but not for much longer).

Cadets (with many restrictions and parameters) can still fire the C-7 as these regulations only apply to civies under the FAC licencing system.

Clear as mud?

Cadets are the next reserves, It only takes a little bit of of your time to take a few senior NCM's out and use them in non combat roles they will love it and you will have a new crop of recruits the next year. ant to the one who said we get as much ammo as the others your CO is a charge Parade waiting to happen cadets are not to fire blanks or use pyro at all!

At our unit we support the cadets with kit and manning, and occasionally assist in drill with them on their parade nights, which are on Fridays here.

We have on occasion taken them on exercises during their school holidays, and some have stayed with us for days.

The problem being Australia wants to distance cadets from combat training, and there was a time we would have a few cadets per gun crew, and carry out the same duties shy of carrying small arms, but manning and firing the 105mm Hamels was standard. Now they must watch from a distance, etc.

We oftne too have them around our tech Spt are, showing them how we maintain the 105s and other stuff.

The Cadet organisation here in Australia is very good, and ARes units and the ARA often get many former cadets signing on with them.

Cadets here wear AUSCAM uniforms specifically made for cadet use. The same AUSCAM ptrn, but the pockets different, and there is no and infrared 'spray' used on the material.

They wear the webbing and the packs, but the older types. Boots are black GPs and not the tan ones we have.

233 RCU's drill is in many cases better than the supporting Army units.

Cheers,

Wes
The Cadet unit we support is the 233 RCU (Regional Cadet Unit) out of the Rockdale MUD, Kogarah. A great unit ran by good people, and in 2000, a contingent was sesnt to Gallipoli for Anzac Day.

Hatchet Man said:
The C7 is actually a prohibited weapon under the firearms act, as it can fire in automatic.   The Civillian AR-15 rifle (and variants) are considered restricted weapons.

arent they prohibited wpns?

edit: nevermind

I've hade cadets with me on a couple of ranges and a couple of FTX's back when I was in the MO. My CO brought the idea up; sounded not to shabby.
of all the times I've worked with the cadets in the militia, I didn't have any major problems while working with the kids. they were very enthusiastic about working with us, and learning some stuff that they didn't already know. I made some good friends with some of those cadets and even got them to join the militia.
I'd willing work with them again.
Greg

ArmyBoi,

sounds like a good concept and I wouldnt mind doing it except that many units dont have as many NCMs on strength as cadets in the corps.  Perhaps if the NCMs were Sec Comds or something...

I'd take a cadet along.  Kind of like a Big Brothers program thing.

Or you could pass it up the chain of command now and save yourself a couple of years... ;)

Too bad, but still, I'd make the suggestion. Things may improve. As well, you'd be showing that little thing called initiative. Always a good thing.

Back