• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet Pay Rates as staff

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.
I have read and recently just read a thread about a cadet who joined the Pres and was disappointed that he didn't take a Cadet staff position in regards to the pay he would have received(This isn't a flame).
Questions:
1.How is a Staff cadets pay level determined?
2.Are your pay levels and $ value unique or do they mirror the reserves?
3.Do you guys have to pay rations ,quarters and mess dues when you are a staff cadet?
4.How are your summer ranks appointed?Is it on a position basis or is it consecutive yrs held as a staff cadet?
I was a cadet back in the day of green uniforms for all,never did staff,but did 5 yrs as a bandsman with P&D.Always wanted to know,never asked.Any help?

I'll jump in and provide what knowledge I have from 2003.. (anyone more current please correct me)

1. Pay level was determined by rank.
2. Not sure, don't know how the reserve pay level works.
3. We did not pay rations or quarters, but I do believe we payed a mess due for the Staff Cadet Canteen/Mess.
4. From what I remember the rank/position was "generally" determined from previous course reports and/or qualifications. I know usually a 1st year staff cadet would be a sgt. However, there was always some first year Warrant's or even MWO's. (The first year MWO's usually had done an exchange the year previous) Also, you don't always get a higher position if you returned for a 2nd or 3rd year of staff. I know some who were section Sgt's all years they were staff.

I was a 1st year Warrant, and I believe I was paid $54 a day. (so a total of around $2,500 for 7 weeks of employment)

Pay Rates are set by D. Cadets or one of his mininions. Cadets do not pay R&Q per say, it may be hidden in the fine print, but I have not ever encountered it in 15 years. As rearguard's to ranks all staff cadets show up as staff and are run through a 7 day pre employment course at the end the ranks are given out as the best is the camp RSM (most times a repeat staff cadet) then the next are coy MWO's and so on.
2006 staff cadet pay rates
http://www.central.cadets.ca/trgschools/Payrates.pdf

hope this helps

I am curious as well. I'd also like to ask:

1) Are you paid any other times of the year as a Cadet, staff or not.

I ask this because this person was regretting not taking Staff, instead he went into the PRes. My point is that a Cadet career is until you are 19, at which point you age out and must leave or go CIC. When I was in the PRes I worked more than just 6-8 weeks during the summer - why would someone regret that?

Not a flame, an honest question as I don't think this young man is considering what should be a priority. Yes, he may have dearly enjoyed his time in Cadets, yes he may miss it and I am sure he will look back on it fondly. But for someone just starting their career in the Military I would think they'd have bigger fish to fry. Like where to spend all that FOA!! ;D

Caleix, again, not a flame. I just have a hard time understanding your motivation for the bad feelings.

I know air cadets with Glider and Power wings can be employed during the year at flight centers to help with the familiarisation flights.

So they are paid.

From my time in Cadets I can recall going on one famil flight. And in most places in the country the weather doesn't allow for much gliding any other time but late spring and early fall. So how many days pay would these Cadets get and at what rate. Just trying to reinforce my claim.

As an Army Cadet I was only ever paid for Summer Camps. And as a course cadet this is only a $60 training bonus every week. So at the end of a 6 week summer I would have $360. (not that any of it was left when I went home)

During the training year I didn't make/receive any money.

But for someone just starting their career in the Military I would think they'd have bigger fish to fry. Like where to spend all that FOA!!

Few more questions and a comment.
1.Do Cadets receive any type of "Gratuity"or allowances?IE:Travel claim,FOA,or a Bonus for say,air operations(Air cadet)or Sea pay(Sea Cadet)
2.How are you guys paid?Direct deposit or Cash\cheque?I don't ever remember there being a bank machine in Argonaught(sp).

To those who lament about joining the reserves as opposed to becoming a staff cadet:Trust me,you might be disappointed for a little bit,but like Scott said,it won't last long.The friends you make will be the long term type(I still run into people from the old battery and even my QL2 9401)and once the money starts rollin in,you'll understand that your decision was the right one.Add to that a feeling of purpose and direction,you'll have er made in the shade!

1. When I traveled to and from Summer camp I would be given "an allowance" to pay for my food along the way. My ticket was always already purchased for me.
2. I was paid direct deposit as staff. And from what I remember there were no bank machines on base, so we would have to go off base to have access to our pay.

Look at it this way:

Cadet=$60-80 a week
PRes= $80+ a day + $20's TD

Do the math. Now for the cadet that said he/she would have done better off as a cadet; that person probably was not talking about money. The first person from my BMQ was an ex cadet MWO, who didn't like being treated like s*** (he also thought that his rank carred over to the res.) NOTE: it also didn't help him that one of the instructors hated cadets.

When I was in course cadets were paid $60/week as a training bonus and when I did staff in 2002 I was paid $62/day

my72jeep said:
I know air cadets with Glider and Power wings can be employed during the year at flight centers to help with the familiarisation flights.

They are employed, but get no cash. They're "paid" in flight time. At least out here they are.

gun plumber said:
1.Do Cadets receive any type of "Gratuity"or allowances?IE:Travel claim,FOA,or a Bonus for say,air operations(Air cadet)or Sea pay(Sea Cadet)
2.How are you guys paid?Direct deposit or Cash\cheque?I don't ever remember there being a bank machine in Argonaught(sp).

1. As Card said, you get money for meals, all tickets are provided, or failing that, will be reimbursed on arrival if you provide a receipt. We get no cash for flying. You get the standard $60/week up to a max of $360. So even though power is 7 weeks, you get paid for 6. Same thing if you're on glider and get extended a week.
2. Depends, most camps I've been at hold it for you. What happen is, you can request money from a "cadet bank" at which you have an account and your $60/week is deposited for you. I've handed in Direct Deposits forms, but it got messed up, so we ended up getting cheques with our pay on them. Which was useless since we were on power, got a check for $120 after 3 weeks, and got the $240 at the end of course, which was after we had to pay out out TC fees.

At Vernon, the course cadets are paid $60 in cash every 2 weeks (the weekend after week 2, and week 4), then they get a lump sum in the form of a cheque at the end of week 6.

The staff are paid on the 15th and 30th of every month with a direct deposit to their bank account (there is no ATM on base), and receive the rest of their pay on the next pay day after camp.

There is a cadet bank on base, that anyone can use. All they have to do is fill their account with money that they brought with them, and they can withdraw it any time that it is open.

... Also whenever a pay raise goes into the Canadian Forces the same percentage (I'm not sure if it's pure, or a perrcentage of a percentage, if that makes sense) is used to adjust Staff Cadet rates.

I know, long before my time SCdt pay rates were based on being X% of the actual ranks pay in the Canadian Forces. I don't believe this is done anymore, however I am unsure.

My T4 came from 39CBG, which I thought was interesting. (For my time in 2005 as a Staff Cadet)

The only pay I am aware of that hasn't been mentioned for Cadets is a training bonus given for the Army Cadet National and International Expeditions.... obviously by the name and amount it's not really pay, just spending $$$.

In 2003 the staff cadets got a raise of $3 from 2002.

And my T4 says NDHQ Mil Pay as the employer.

Just a question. 

Since cadets are not members of the CF.  What does that make your status when you're paid as staff and given a service number?

Jacob said:
Just a question. 

Since cadets are not members of the CF.  What does that make your status when you're paid as staff and given a service number?

Officially, staff cadets are in a sort of advanced training situation (and in fact words to that effect, instead of Staff Cadet, are used in the Pacific region) as opposed to being employees.  By definition, all cadets are under training.

I understand that staff cadets were, at one time, enroled as primary reservists for the duration of their contract, but this is no longer done.

Jacob said:
Just a question. 

I believe Staff Cadets are assigned a "Primary Identification (or PRIN) number" which is of identical format to a CF Service Number (for the purpose of being integrated into the pay system) but for all intensive purposes not a Service Number.  My Staff Cadet number is different then my current CF Service Number (and this is the reason I was given by the CFRC).

Also to note, this past summer I was receiving Staff Cadet MWO pay ($74 a day), which ended up being more monthly then I make as a Reg Force OCdt, simply due to the fact that I did not have to pay R&Q.

Zedic said:
I believe Staff Cadets are assigned a "Primary Identification (or PRIN) number" which is of identical format to a CF Service Number (for the purpose of being integrated into the pay system) but for all intensive purposes not a Service Number.  My Staff Cadet number is different then my current CF Service Number (and this is the reason I was given by the CFRC).
My service number is still the same as my 3 years as a staff cadet...

Yes it does, and why Zedic received a different one, is a bit confusing.

Maybe when filling out his application, he didn't include the fact that he already had a SN?

Back