• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7 sights: Optical & Iron

For the C7, which would you prefer: Elcan C79 or Iron Sight attachment?

• Doesn't matter

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • C79

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Looks like his wpn also has the latest charging handle upgrade too, and his Mate has the new type Diemaco Minimi too, note the M4 type retracting butt on the Minimi.

I had read that the new Colt m16A2/M4 charging handle has been adopted by the CF, but I dont know where it stands when it comes to repalcement. Been out of that loop for 10yrs now.

Cheers,

Wes

Oh yeah, the handle does look different.  Is it changed for ambidextrous shooting?  I'm a left handed shooter, and have gotten used to twisting my hand to cock my rifle, but I guess this is so that anybody can switch back and forth easily depending on the terrain etc...

It is an iron sight.   All the members(rifleman) of the Parachute Company (3RCR) are issued one.   We weren't allowed to use them in Afghanistan regardless of preference or not.   In the RCR kitlist, the iron sight is for back-up only.   Sometimes...well a lot of the time, we're our own worst enemy.

Oh, and the rifle is the C7A2, not the C8A2.

No Doug, that just applied to you.  Cuz we couldn't figure out a way to make you tie it on so you wouldn't lose it. :-*

;D

Another thing I noticed on the pic was ...  which if I remember right from CF degrees of wpn readiness means one of two things ... Judging by his happy face, I would say he is ...

The degrees of wpn readiness are different here in Australia.

Firstly at all times is the F88 family of wpns (AUG/Austeyr) to be ...

Of course different wpns have different drills say for the F89A1 Minimi, the MAG 58, and the M4 carbine.

More wierd Aussie facts.

Cheers,

Wes
(Moderator note:  Censored for OPSEC - feel free to PM me if you don't know why)

Like Doug said its the C7 with the new upgrades which includes the telescopic butt, tri rail mount around the barrel, safety selector and mag release switch on both the left and right now as well as a modification to the cocking handle.  The barrel length has not changed.

I knew it was something like that!   That's why the CSM always took a half hour to sort me out before every patrol???!!!   And you knew this the whole time?   I guess I must have been the running joke of the tour, I can't believe that I was so blind.....how could I have missed that......this sucks.......

Buddy on the right has a telescopic butt on his C9. I wish I had one of those...

Wesley H. Allen said:
Another thing I noticed on the pic was ...  which if I remember right from CF degrees of wpn readiness means one of two things, ...

The degrees of wpn readiness are different here in Australia.

Firstly at all times is the F88 family of wpns (AUG/Austeyr) to be ... at all times ...

The C7 ... (Moderator note:  This post censored for OPSEC - feel free to PM me if you don't understand why).

detective da_man to the rescue once again!

http://www.combatcamera.forces.ca/photoarchive/HiRes/%212004/050804/IS2004-2057a%20copy.jpg

an other pic of the same guy.   Its a C7A2

How come it's so big?  You can get ones the size of cellphones at Walmart.

This one is probably more durable then the ones you get at WalMart.

They've also been around a lot longer than those NEW cell phones and GPS units.  Remember the size of the first iteration of anything electronic?

Not that I'm defending them..........fact of the matter is, since the selective availability was shut down I have always used personal GPS due to size, weight, features, availability/convenience of 'AA' batteries, etc........

Having said that, don't underestimate the importance of being proficient with the Mil issue PLGR, BEFORE relying on a personal one.  In a case of high threat, national emergency, or the big W, they can just turn on SA - effectively turning your civvi GPS into a paperweight.  The crypto function unique to mil gps (just like the new radios) is for just such occasions.

This is sort of off topic as this forum is about the C7A2 etc, but seeing as this forum turned into about kit as well I'm going to ask.

I was looking at the second guy, with the new C9A2, it looks like he has a CADPAT hydration system and it doesn't look like the one from Wheelers! ( Maybe it is :p )

Does anyone know if the CF has invested into a camel pack system? :D

The CF has been issuing Camelbacks for at least three+ years.  I got one when I went to Africa in Dec 2000.  That was a plain-jane 2 litre with the small mouth and seperate bladder/cover.  For the Haiti deployment there are at least three different types being issued.  There were a few of the old 2 litre still kicking around, there is a desert cam (US pattern) 3 litre one, and a CADPAT 3 litre that has all the bells and whistles, big spout, on/off valve, cover flap for the screw cap.
You got issued whatever was at the top of the pile when you came through, I'm still using mine from 2000.

Just curious, but how can you tell he's a corporal? Maybe i'm blind as hell, but I don't see a rank anywhere.

Back