• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

:ROFLMAO: When I was a young pup in 7th Tor RCA, we had a working 25 pdr in the gun park and unofficially "played" around with it. In a pinch I could operate one but the 105mm M2A21 was my first operational gun. Additional fun fact - I'm one of the few people left in the world who knows how to use an arty board for calculating firing data and how to "tune" and use a 42 set as a radio. Also, I did my combat team commanders' course using Centurions.

:ROFLMAO:
Sorry using centurions? Was their course tied into it as well or were they getting qualified on separate course and you linked in with guys already in their centuries?

Sorry using centurions? Was their course tied into it as well or were they getting qualified on separate course and you linked in with guys already in their centuries?
With FJAG and Old Sweat, likley it could have been Centurions and their Centuria's

"Centurion" with a capital "C"

These mothers.

canadian-centurion-tank-south-of-wurzburg-germany-october-v0-2z8faptxtn8a1.jpg

16wuqf1v9cv41.png

We had 347 of them in four full tank regiments plus another regiment's worth at the armoured school and another in war stocks plus a bunch scattered around.

And the Militia still had these:

78-909-2.jpg

And guess what. We managed to maintain them all.

🍻

Enough cracks about the ancient equipment they used. FJAG was modern enough to have even fired a Javelin!
throw javelin GIF
:ROFLMAO: Well, I fired one of those Javelins in high school. The others not so much. But to get back to ancient weaponry - saw an SS11 fired once and did fire a 106mm recoilless rifle and a 3.5 inch rocket launcher.

(Also am rereading the SJA Turney "Marius' Mules" series and binge watching "Rome")

God! I am old!

🍻

Did you loose your high school year book or something?
How do you know these things?

When I transferred to the RegF and left home, back in the dark ages, my mother decided to clean out my room and besides throwing out my slot car race set, numerous Viking HO model railroad cars and a large collection of golden era DC comic books she had inadvertently thrown out all of my high school year books.

I've been swearing to go to the school's library so that I can at least photocopy the pages with all my old class mates (assuming they still have the books).

:unsure:

How do you know these things?

When I transferred to the RegF and left home, back in the dark ages, my mother decided to clean out my room and besides throwing out my slot car race set, numerous Viking HO model railroad cars and a large collection of golden era DC comic books she had inadvertently thrown out all of my high school year books.

I've been swearing to go to the school's library so that I can at least photocopy the pages with all my old class mates (assuming they still have the books).

:unsure:
I'd be impressed if the yearbooks survived the fires of 48 BC, and 272 AD... 😆

:ROFLMAO: Well, I fired one of those Javelins in high school. The others not so much. But to get back to ancient weaponry - saw an SS11 fired once and did fire a 106mm recoilless rifle and a 3.5 inch rocket launcher.

(Also am rereading the SJA Turney "Marius' Mules" series and binge watching "Rome")

God! I am old!

🍻
Me too! Fired Entac and SS11, saw an Honest John launch, time flies!

Saw two Honest John launches. First one I believe was 1965. Closed all of Shilo and bused everyone out to see it.

Group One Inf Sigs 1963 we had all the old radios. 42 set was fun to tune. Group One Inf 1964 we fired 3.5 RCL with a lot of duds (1950's USA ammo). Can still remember the priming drills with the 36 grenade.

Still a fair amount on Second World War Vets (Staff Sgt Sinclair on Sigs crse) and I Staff (precursor to RSS) was mostly Korean War Vets.

I was in the first recruit squad in the RCA Depot that was not issued Lee-Enfields. Oh yes, and had a fuzzy water bottle.
Crap - we got those in the Militia but had the plastic ones by the time I transferred to RegF. I think I had a temporary flashback of what the water tasted like out of those things.

:ROFLMAO:

1693930159728.png

I saw this and was reminded of other articles I had seen where the Ukrainians were stripping individual launch tubes from burnt out Grads and repurposing them by mounting them on pickup trucks. To be frank I didn't see the point. I always understood rockets in general and the 122mm in particular to be horribly inaccurate. They had to be used in large numbers and were at least as much a terror weapon as an effective suppressor.

But then I got to thinking about all these cheap guided munitions, including cardboard airplanes and wondered how long it would be before someone came up with a cheap bolt-on guidance kit for the 122mm.

The Israelis got there first.

The Rokar RGK 122 by Elbit does for the 122 what the M1156 does for 155mm rounds.

The Rokar gives the 122, with a 19.1 kg warhead and range of up to 40 km a CEP of 20m.

1693931035533.png

All of this together, along with comments about tanks in general being used as snipers rather than close combat vehicles and the lack of apparentl mass or density in the field seems to add to the ongoing sense of this war as a stand-off war. The best plinker wins.

The Ukrainians have been plinking away at command posts and warehouses with HIMARS.
They have been plinking at bridges.
They have been plinking the ammo caches of Russian batteries.
They have been plinking away at tanks, then at MRLSs, then at howitzers and mortars, now at trucks.

They have been using their tanks, both Russian and Western, at standoff distances to supply direct and indirect fire support to the assault troops.

Even the cluster bombs are used with precision and in small numbers - partly that seems to be due to the lack of viable high-density targets. There are lots of targets but they are small and widely dispersed.

View attachment 79877

I saw this and was reminded of other articles I had seen where the Ukrainians were stripping individual launch tubes from burnt out Grads and repurposing them by mounting them on pickup trucks. To be frank I didn't see the point. I always understood rockets in general and the 122mm in particular to be horribly inaccurate. They had to be used in large numbers and were at least as much a terror weapon as an effective suppressor.

But then I got to thinking about all these cheap guided munitions, including cardboard airplanes and wondered how long it would be before someone came up with a cheap bolt-on guidance kit for the 122mm.

The Israelis got there first.

The Rokar RGK 122 by Elbit does for the 122 what the M1156 does for 155mm rounds.

The Rokar gives the 122, with a 19.1 kg warhead and range of up to 40 km a CEP of 20m.

View attachment 79878

All of this together, along with comments about tanks in general being used as snipers rather than close combat vehicles and the lack of apparentl mass or density in the field seems to add to the ongoing sense of this war as a stand-off war. The best plinker wins.

The Ukrainians have been plinking away at command posts and warehouses with HIMARS.
They have been plinking at bridges.
They have been plinking the ammo caches of Russian batteries.
They have been plinking away at tanks, then at MRLSs, then at howitzers and mortars, now at trucks.

They have been using their tanks, both Russian and Western, at standoff distances to supply direct and indirect fire support to the assault troops.

Even the cluster bombs are used with precision and in small numbers - partly that seems to be due to the lack of viable high-density targets. There are lots of targets but they are small and widely dispersed.
I've always thought that we should make use of the eighty thousand CRV 2.75 inch rockets we have in storage by mounting a multiple launcher on a truck combined with about 36 or so panoramic telescope systems from broken C3 howitzers to create our own little mini MLRS batteries so that we can at least learn some of the basic concepts (and get rid of a whole lot of rockets on the cheap).

Sure the range sucks but that means you could fire it in Meaford and Valcartier as a training system where short range is a feature and not a problem.

🍻

Buy some HIMARS, design a module of the same size/shape/weight that can be used for training/logistics purposes, but only fires the 2.75" sub-caliber rockets.

Like we used to do with the FN's and the .22 kit, or the LAW and the sub-cal rocket, or the...etc.

I've always thought that we should make use of the eighty thousand CRV 2.75 inch rockets we have in storage by mounting a multiple launcher on a truck combined with about 36 or so panoramic telescope systems from broken C3 howitzers to create our own little mini MLRS batteries so that we can at least learn some of the basic concepts (and get rid of a whole lot of rockets on the cheap).

Sure the range sucks but that means you could fire it in Meaford and Valcartier as a training system where short range is a feature and not a problem.

🍻
Buy some HIMARS, design a module of the same size/shape/weight that can be used for training/logistics purposes, but only fires the 2.75" sub-caliber rockets.

Like we used to do with the FN's and the .22 kit, or the LAW and the sub-cal rocket, or the...etc.

So a continuation of this thought?

1693941354154.png

Hanwha not only produces the Chunmoo it also produces its 70mm kid brother.

1693941479375.png

The 70mm MRS(Multiple Rocket System) is world unique armed-vehicle introduced by Hanwha Corporation using 70mm rocket family as munitions. Originally designed for standard of firepower support for infantry regiment, the 70mm MRS is mid-size with light weight to achieve high mobility.

Chunmoo

1693941710730.png

1693943939408.png
1693943964220.png1693944005407.png1693944076439.png
1693944168013.png1693944181616.png
1693944597879.png

Which target? Which fuse? Which warhead? Which rocket? Which platform?

Which Control System?
1693944729738.png

And they could be identical with the Navy's. Just different platforms.
1693944478902.png

Too bad we couldn't just buy a NASAMS platoon and swap out the missile pods.

talking about NASAMS platoon kits, each of which includes 3 launchers for 18 missiles, an AN/TPQ-64 three-coordinate radar station and a fire control panel. The cost of one NASAMS platoon is $23 million in 2022 prices, the cost of each AIM-120 AMRAAM missile (2019 AIM-120D modification) is more than $1.2 million.

I am assuming that the $23 million does not include the 18 missiles which would be $21.6 million on their own.
And would a Firing Platoon necessarily require a Radar? In the AD role yes? In the Counter Battery and Coastal Defence roles yes? In the Fire Support role?

Back