• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C in C Commendations Afghanistan?

Dirty Patricia

Inactive
Reaction score
Why have no unit commendations yet been awarded for recent combat operations in Afghanistan?  Is the process this lengthy? 3 VP's was awarded quite soon after their return.  Was the bar set to low by past awards?  Is there a feeling that every unit deploying to Afghanistan would merit it and thus it may never be awarded?  I think an argument can be made for 1 VP and 1 RCR based on their direct actions with the enemy.  Their offensive operations merit a unit award and are not the same as "every tour" to Afghanistan.

I remember being on parade in 1997 in Petawawa when 3 RCR was given a Unit Commendation from 1992 for elements being with the 1 R22ER Battle Group from 4 CMBG on the first tour to the X-Yugoslavia. On parade it was mentioned it was a short time to get it.
Did not a couple of AF Sqn just get Unit Commendation from Kosovo late last year after how many years?

take a look into History and see how long some unit had to wait (or still waiting) for WW2 Unit commendations.

The Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation "was created in 2002 to recognize the outstanding service of Canadian Forces in times of conflict under direct enemy fire. It is open to members of the Canadian Forces, as well as members of the Commonwealth and foreign forces working in conjunction with the Canadian Forces."

It has only been awarded 3 times.  Retroactively to 1 R22eR (Sarajevo 1992) and 2 PPCLI (Medak 1993).  As well it has since been awarded to 3 PPCLI (Afghanistan 2002).

Michael O`Leary said:
Perhaps the answer is wrapped up in this topic.

The topic of battle honours is discussed at length in that topic, but no reference to the Commander in Chief Unit Commendation.  I know the issue of battle honours for Afghanistan is still being discussed, and if the release of the Air Force's for Kosovo is any indication it could take some time.  I hope C in C Unit Commendations are being looked at and will duly be awarded to deserving units.

Fdtrucker said:
Did not a couple of AF Sqn just get Unit Commendation from Kosovo late last year after how many years?

Those Sqns received Battle Honours not unit commendations

The buzz when we were leaving TF 0306 from the higher up's, was that we were going to get it, but it took time (It was from the top of the BG). 

Starlight,
We found you a good batch of enemy and 1 RCR BG did some hard fighting to clear them out.  Good job and the award will be well deserved if it happens.  Hopefully word will start filtering down soon.

Personnel in theatre are aware of the C in C Unit Commendation, as well as the CF Unit Commendation. 

Enough said.

Dirty Patricia said:
Starlight,
We found you a good batch of enemy and 1 RCR BG did some hard fighting to clear them out.  Good job and the award will be well deserved if it happens.  Hopefully word will start filtering down soon.

What I find funny, is how hard we seem to fight our selves now in terms of awards.  I wish we could stop coming up with reason why we can't award troops in fear of? I guess I don't know. 

Dirty Patricia, you guys found more than a good batch.. damn, you guys sure stirred the bees nest!!  We still can't get over how you guy's went in their with a XXXXXXXXXXXX  

Moderator warning ...

Beware the OPSEC ...

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Here is food for thought - when I was over there for a year I heard at least a couple of times that an 'official' national monument would be build in Ottawa for Afghanistan, as it would not go on the Cenotaph or the Peacekeeping Monument. Never heard anything after getting back...anybody heard of developments in this regard?

horseman said:
Here is food for thought - when I was over there for a year I heard at least a couple of times that an 'official' national monument would be build in Ottawa for Afghanistan, as it would not go on the Cenotaph or the Peacekeeping Monument. Never heard anything after getting back...anybody heard of developments in this regard?

Never heard anything along any of those lines.  That would definitely have been making the rounds even if it had only been a very juicy rumour, but I haven't heard a thing.

Just rumor mill, then...it was tied to the staggering profits being made by the Timmy's at KAF by the CFPSA. Promise of funds allocated for (among other things) paying for a monument in Ottawa, etc. etc.

Seems like a good idea to me, though - something permanent the families can go to, national recognitiion in the capital, etc. Oh well, an idea which may yet see fruition with time...

I think it would be outstanding if they could make they same plaques as they do in KAF behind the NSE/Role 1 Barber... That would last forever!

You are so right! I just think it would be a great statement to our fallen troops children, etc? IMHO.

Back