• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying this AR15 in Canada?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=19
I wanna buy this AR15 (Panther LRT-SASS from DPMS) however they aren't returning my email inquiries and Im getting passed around on the phone.
Is there any place or company in Canada that I can order one of these suckers from?

From their contact page they are in St. Cloud, MN

but at the bottom the page it says..."Export Sales:
DPMS is not currently exporting commercially
Adam Ballard
Phone: 320-345-9223
Fax: 320-345-9249
export@dpmsinc.com "

Due to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and other Homeland Defense issues, it is near impossible to get anything pertaining to ARs, and other arms, out of the States. The paperwork nightmare in place is too onerus and expensive for most anyone to bother with. American manufactures just can't be bothered doing all the fancy footwork required. That and the rules seem to change by the minute, so most won't even respond to queries outside the US.

Try Walter at Armseast http://www.armseast.com/ or Questar https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/default.asp Both are Canadian companies that deal in ARs. You'll also find that there is a staggering difference between the US vice Canadian prices.

Don't forget, also, all AR variants are considered Restricted firearms in Canada. If you don't have an RPAL, and belong to a shooting club, you can buy one here.

Thank you Gap and Recceguy, I'll look into the Canadian companies.

- There have been shortages in the US as well - some from panicked owners stocking up on weapons, parts, ammunition and reloading supplies after the presidential election, and some caused by US Govt regulation such as the .223 brass shortage.

- Strangulation by regulation is an old tactic, and ITAR and bureaucratic red tape are common tools.

- The idiotic campaign to serial number each bullet indicates how these great minds work.

TCBF,

The panic buy shortage is just about done. Parts and such are beginning to flow again, prices are coming back down to pre election norms and backlogs are being filled. I'm seeing a lot more stuff around than I did just over a month ago.

What was the big scare about?
Americans thought the new president would take their guns away?

Flawed Design said:

Exactly. Now instead of going after the guns themselves, he's looking at strangling ownership through bureaucratic paperwork and up to 500% tax on ammo, etc. Reloading ammo will be considered manufacturing explosive devices. Many States have already told him to keep his hands off State laws and regulations and if he enacts Federal legislation nutering their laws, they'll withdraw from the Union. Many States have the withdrawl legislation pending on the table already.

Flawed Design said:

i take it you've not been paying attention to his history in this regard???? ;)

OK, I gotta ask.
Why do you want this type of weapon?

They are very popular with recreational shooters, what other reason is required?

Jammer said:
OK, I gotta ask.

Jammer said:
OK, I gotta ask.

Guns are cool.
Shooting paper targets and other inanimate objects is fun.
I have a lot of weapon accessories that are lonesome and feel depressed without being attached to a rife.
Zombies.

Jammer said:
OK, I gotta ask.

Because it's (still) his right (so far) as a citizen of this (mostly) free and (somewhat) democratic nation?

Jammer said:
OK, I gotta ask.

- It civilian use, it is not a weapon until used as such, it is a firearm.
- It, like other inanimate objects, can be used for good or evil, subject to the intent of the operator.

There are a lot of options out there for anyone that wants a AR type rifle, Costs are from $899 for a Norinco (Polytech) M4 to a highend AR at $3500.

Regardless of make or barrel lenght it will be restricted, a range queen only.

If you buy an AR, the LAR 10rd pistol mag is your friend.

I'm looking at an AR platform in either 5.56 or 7.62.

I have an Eotech and Spectre DR I can put on them and a bunch of little toys like bipods, verticle grips, taclights some magpul parts etc..
I was leaning towards the 7.62 considering the magazine restriction but if I find a nice 5.56 I'll probably grab that instead.
Seemlike I'll have to Deploy to Afghanistan to buy AR15 parts considering how hard it is to get the stuff from the states.

I've read a little bit about some new kinda piston driven set up;
http://www.ruger.com/SR556/
Are these worth while to even take a look at?

If you're looking for a .308 AR, there was a nice one I handled in Target Sports (ht tp://www.target-sports.com/). I don't recall the price, but it would be somewhere like $3500-$4000 I think. However it had a magpul MIAD, PRS stock, free float rail, a nice bipod, and vert grip. Just add an optic and you're good to go. I wouldn't know where else to find one, unless you want to try canadiangunnutz, there might be something on the exchange forums.

If you aren't set on a .308, the $900 Norinco C8/M4 would probably be a good place to start if you aren't wanting to spend too much money. At least that's what I'll be doing once I get back from Dp1.

Back