• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buttstock reccomendations

Tango18A said:
If its not safe they are the ones to make this determination.

How is a stock mod not safe?

Tango18A said:
Not some web site selling it, I don't think we have enough money floating around in the CF to buy and trial every option out there.

That's why we went for the lowest bidder cheapest sh^t. Got it. In fact I KNOW we don't have enough money... several PRes units aren't parading or cut down on parading because of the no $ issue.

Tango18A said:
It doesn't do much good to Johnny Canuck engaging the TB out in the middle of nowhere, to have his personal buttstock shatter in the middle of a fight, when his issue one is sitting in a MOB box back in KAF.

I haven't seen or heard any notable companies stock "shatter" in a TIC. Have you? What happens when the issued sh^t blast apart? You get a new one... a broken stock shouldn't really matter as long as the TUBE itself isn't fracked you can still fire.

Tango18A said:
Soldier1stTradesman2nd- Not once did I say Illegal, I said Unauthorized. Just as I said above, there is one standard of butt stock and of handguard purchased by the CF to a standard determined by the CF.

Which is done without consulting many people, without looking at the world around them, without noticing that our US counterparts have moved to a completely RAILED system, and since many things have to be attached now, the fracked up front mount where there's literally NO realestate is worth SFA.

Tango18A said:
Can you with out a doubt tell to what standard the furniture you have purchased with your own funds from supplier X has been manufactured?

Uh... YEAH. TOP NOTCH QUALITY. Troy, Knights, MagPul are ALL top notch quality manufacturers that have had more of their products in war zones, tried, tested and TRUE then our fracked up designs. Where have they been trialled? In a controlled environment? Some where in Pet? Suffield? Canaught? NDHQ? Please... why do you think more and more troops are getting their own rails? Because it works that's why. Because some of us are not so fracked up in thinking that... "well if it works for the US... it sure won't work for us. Lets put out a tender and ASK Canadian companies which have ZERO experience to build stuff" Yeah... great... 20% solution.

Tango18A said:
No, and neither can I, but the furniture that is presently on the C7A2 has been built to a specific standard.

Yeah... sh^t standard.

Tango18A said:
That is why its an Unauthorized mod with out Commanders permission overseas.

One day... ONE day... we're all going to wake the frack up and say... "Hey... lets not reinvent the wheel anymore, lets try to use thigns that's already been proven in combat, and that works not just for one system but for all!" GENIUS!! FREAKING GENIUS!!!

I mean don't even bring up the "US isn't us" crap. We use C7/C8, they use M16/M4... wait a minute, the last time I checked they're the SAME DAMN THING. So if ONE furniture works on the M16/M4 series why won't it work on the C7/C8 series? Oh that's right, because we're too damn stubborn and stupid to realize that we're wasting TIME, and MONEY on more staff to do useless research then to pay attention to what's already available! If it's NOT available, then by ALL FRACKING MEANS do some research, until then maybe we can worry MORE about what fracking works, then what new crappy ass sh^t we're going to give to the troops NEXT time.

JEBUS!

..... rant off...

recceguy said:
Let's not be tossing out any more red herrings.

No one is talking about taking off a fixed A2 stock and replacing it with a collapsable. The OP was talking about changing out the issue collapsable for and after market collapsable. There's no need to back the retaining plate off at all, which I'm sure you well know, simply a slide off, slide on operation.

I was talking about replacing a M4 style colapsable butt (as a complete unit), not a standard generic solid stock with another, and FYI some 'tubes' are different construction/thickness, including various notches to engage with different sized holes. I was just trying to help/assist, and give some well learned advice on the topic considering some of the aftermarket crap out there.

I know my subject matter, and I am registered Force wide here as a SME for small arms, which includes M16/M4 with 31 yrs on the rifle in question.

OWDU

DirtyDog said:
Just looking for opinions for an aftermarket buttstock replacement for the C7A2.  I've never felt the issue buttstock sat in the shoulder well when wearing the TV and PPE, especially when they are lacking the rubber end as most are around here.  I've adapted and seem to manage well but it has always seemed like a weak point for me.  I'd also be interested in a model that has a (perhaps adjustable) cheek weld unless anyone can tell me why that would be a bad idea.

Keep in mind I carry an M203 most of the time as well.

Thanks.

In no where in this post does it mention that the 'sliding' portion is only required.

For everyone's info.

Cheers/beers,

Wes

Wes

I would never doubt that you are a SME but you are being very specific because you have so much knowledge. I know DD and he is talking about just replacing the sliding portion of the Butt not the tube itself.

I for one have used VLTOR on the C7A2 to great satisfaction overseas. I reccommend that butt honestly. It really was just a matter of sliding the issue Butt off and sliding the VLTOR you just have to make sure you buy the right butt.

Tango18A said:
Recceguy- Actually we are talking about the C7A2, The C7A1 has a fixed butt.

The fixed stock is commonly referred to as an A2 butt in US nomenclature. http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Buttstock_p/bs1034.htm While my experiance may not match that of Wes, I've built more than a couple of these rifles.

Perhaps everyone can put their dicks away and just answer the OPs question. We've been around and around in others threads about the legality of mods. Take your discussion on that point over there.

This thread is about types of sliding stocks for the C7\C8 type weapons.

Tango18A said:
To all, Just be advised that none of these Commercial Buttstocks or hand grips are authorized for use in Canada. The Weapons Techs(L) take a very dim view of this UNAUTHORIZED weapons modification. Only the Commander of a Unit once deployed can make the decision once in Theater.  And that is straight from the Techs under me. If in doubt ask the Weapons Sect supervisor at your unit. If you don't have a Weapons Tech at your unit, then stay well away from attempting any mods to a service weapon.
Well my personal weapon isn't, and shouldn't be, in the care of a weapons tech very often and I'd suprised/disturbed to hear one of them upset with a simple slide on buttstock change...

Some of the most anal SMs I can imagine have walked right past guys with replaced handguards and buttstocks, so I imagine replacing the buttstock would be fine with most CoCs in the RegF Combat Arms world. The Weapons Techs I know usually enjoy seeing weapons that work for their users...

MG34 said:
I can not in good conscience recommend anything made by CAA/UTG/Mako/TAPCO and the rest of the bargain basement manufacturers out there for use on a combat weapon. I have used the VLTOR Modstock/E MOD Stock and the Magpul CTR on service rifles and carbines. My recommendation would be the CTR Stock as it is a realitively low profile mod, and works as advertised. It can be found for around $ 120.00 from several Canadian dealers, The VLTOR stock is also a proven design with the capability of storing several CR123 batteries as well, it balances the C7A2 quite well.

As for the ambi cocking handle take it to your weapons techs and exchange it for an old one if possible, I ahve seen no less than 85 fail this year alone on simple gallery ranges and Gunfighter Shoots, they are junk.

I don't know how I missed this post.  Thanks.  Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  I've always respected your's and other's opinion on not bothering with the cheap sh*t.  I'm really trying hard to justify to myself that KAC rails are THAT much better then some of the lesser ones.  They're a pretty straight forward piece of kit.

Also thanks to BM, I remember your VLTOR but I was also looking for other options as I heard VLTORs are in short supply in Canada.

And yes, sorry for the confusion.  Slide on butts only.  If people still see that as a problem.... god help ya! :eek:

LMT SOPMOD would be another option, contact SOCOM Supply, they might have some instock still, or they can order you one.

Aftermarket Stocks I would recommend.

Magpul ACS
Magpul CTR
Magpol MOE
LMT SOPMOD (which we build for LMT - LMT has the license from USNSWC-Crane)
VLTOR EMOD
VLTOR MOD

Other than that, I don't feel the plastic used by some companies is designed for a live gun (specifically the ones MG34 mentioned)

Back