• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

But everyone knows Sydney is in Australia...isn't it?

Celticgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
This is the second time in the past couple of years that some bonehead tourist has ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia thinking they were going to Sydney, Australia. Does this happen in London, Ontario and Paris, New York, too?  :blotto:

The Wrong Sydney

Well atleast she took it in stride and is making a "vacation" out of it. Good for giggle though  ;D

Cheers

I'd hate to wonder where someone wanted to go if they ended up in Dildo, NL, but it wasn't where they wanted to be.

;D :rofl:

-Dead(the still sick)pan

There's also a Paris, Ontario...

Few years back a Winnipeg radio station got blasted for false advertising for offering a contest to go see the Superbowl in Miami.

Turns out the prize was a trip to a Superbowl party in Miami, MB...winner didn't read the find print!

Ex-Dragoon said:
She must have served time in the Army as an officer. ;)

Had you said "Air Force", that would have been quite the insult.  ;D

Celticgirl said:
Had you said "Air Force", that would have been quite the insult.  ;D

Either or, map reading is not among their forte's.....  ;D

So... the part about flying to Canada instead of Australia wasnt confusing at all?  Sounds more like somebody didnt know how to read a globe of the earth...

Celticgirl said:
This is the second time in the past couple of years that some bonehead tourist has ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia thinking they were going to Sydney, Australia. Does this happen in London, Ontario and Paris, New York, too?  :blotto:

The Wrong Sydney

I've seen it happen with San Jose, Costa Rica and San Jose, California as well.

I can see that it is possible to make an "honest" mistake and end up in the wrong Sydney.  According to the story, the woman booked her flight on-line.  It would be impossible to completely recreate the circumstances of that transaction without many, many more fine details but by trying a few of the on-line booking services, I have noticed that it not always so clear.  Some of them make it very simple to differentiate between Sydney N.S.W. and Sydney NS; others list them in a tiny pulldown menu where an easy mistake is possible.  If a very reasonable fare to "Sydney" (and it might be cheaper for the Nova Scotian variety) came out of a search, it is likely that the specifics were not further questioned.  Sometimes itineraries are not direct point to point, so someone unfamiliar with the route (especially someone not speaking the language) may not think anything about it.  Back a couple of decades, I was once booked (by a travel clerk at NDHQ) on a flight to the wrong London.  Of course the error was discovered at the airport during check-in.

Blackadder1916 said:
Of course the error was discovered at the airport during check-in.

At least you didn't go so far as to actually get on the plane. ;)

Celticgirl said:
At least you didn't go so far as to actually get on the plane. ;)

I wanted to, but my boss overruled.  The booking was to London, England.  The meeting we had to attend was in London, Ontario.

Back