• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British regimental culture

jfposada

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently met an officer of the Queen's Royal Hussars (UK) and we had a great chat about their regimental culture.
I was envious to hear about their traditions, mess life, sports culture (they have a team for virtually every sport, from skiing to soccer..), sense of heritage (new members are taught the regimental history visiting battlefields and museums, required readings etc), the relationship with civilians (parade often in towns, visits to/from schools, royalty and politicians, the media etc), and above, all regimental identity. Each UK regiment seems to be extremely proud of who they are (he said 'as a Hussar, I..' at least 20 times) and they express their unique identities through different (and very sharp) uniforms and a healthy rivalry. Even when they wear combats, they will wear a stable belt with the regimental colours and a regimental flag patch on the arm.

I was wondering how does this compare to regimental life and identity in Canada? 
It is sad that only Reserve regiments kept distinctive headdresses DEUs/mess/ceremonial uniforms. Is there any plan to bring them back to the RegF?
Which Cdn Regiments would be more similar to this British regimental culture? I've heard in the PRes side the QoR, Black Watch and in the RegF maybe LdSH?

Cheers!

Interesting topic. 

Regimental culture is very much a thing but it is driven by the membership and especially the officers and senior NCOs.

The PRes has plenty of links to British regimental culture.  Many of those units have string links to their British counterparts.  Highland units especially have kept some traditions and orders of dress that eh British have dropped.  Guards units in Canada have many of the same regimental traditions and identifiers.

But so does the Reg force.  The RCR, PPCLI and 22eme, RCDs etc all have ceremonial dress, traditions.  Various units have sports teams, mess life, sense of heritage.  Some units have rivalries historical, and perceived based on all sorts of factors.

Regimental life is a thing in Canada but it will vary from unit to unit and isn't limited to a Pres/Reg force thing.   

I'd love to hear from CAF members who have been posted to UK regiments and vice-versa to hear their experiences

Lancer212 said:
I'd love to hear from CAF members who have been posted to UK regiments and vice-versa to hear their experiences

There's a difference between 'regiment' and 'tribe', it's just less obvious in the British Army, which is made up of people from a country who revel in their different accents, traditions and other regional tribal trappings, even in a non-military context.

Regardless, I'd be wary of equating how awesome people feel about their regiments with operational efficiency. Buttons, bows and bunting do not necessarily a reliable unit make, and 'drillers' most definitely do not always make the best 'killers'.

There were some regiments in the British Army that I would not have wanted on my right or left flank if there was a Canadian one available instead. Seriously.

daftandbarmy said:
There's a difference between 'regiment' and 'tribe', it's just less obvious in the British Army, which is made up of people from a country who revel in their different accents, traditions and other regional tribal trappings, even in a non-military context.

Is that not what we have here to some extent?  We have a third of our force that speak and operate in another language.  And I'm not just talking about all the Newfoundlanders... ;D

Remius said:
Is that not what we have here to some extent?  We have a third of our force that speak and operate in another language.  And I'm not just talking about all the Newfoundlanders... ;D

Yeah, um, start with that... and then times it by about a hundred to get an idea of what it's like in the UK.....  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
Regardless, I'd be wary of equating how awesome people feel about their regiments with operational efficiency. Buttons, bows and bunting do not necessarily a reliable unit make, and 'drillers' most definitely do not always make the best 'killers'.
There were some regiments in the British Army that I would not have wanted on my right or left flank if there was a Canadian one available instead. Seriously.

Agreed. No one said regimental pride translates to operational efficiency. This post is only about the particularities of regimental culture and traditions in the British Forces, nothing else.

daftandbarmy said:
Yeah, um, start with that... and then times it by about a hundred to get an idea of what it's like in the UK.....  :nod:
And cram that heightened tribal approach, and 66 million people, into an area smaller than Labrador.

quadrapiper said:
And cram that heightened tribal approach, and 66 million people, into an area smaller than Labrador.

And all The Rifles regimental Officers have Labradors, black, each, stupid, one :) 

daftandbarmy said:
And all The Rifles regimental Officers have Labradors, black, each, stupid, one :)

Also a Brit gunner thing. We used to call them Dogs, RA.

daftandbarmy said:

The logical follow on question: Who provides more inspired and capable leadership: the Labradors or the Rifles officers?  And who drools less and is less inbred?

Remius said:

I think it's unfair to just single out Newfoundlanders when I've met many rural maritimers!
;)

dapaterson said:
The logical follow on question: Who provides more inspired and capable leadership: the Labradors or the Rifles officers?  And who drools less and is less inbred?

They each made good company. Let's just leave that one there :)

daftandbarmy said:

I spent some time with the "Rifles" and had a very stupid Retriever, Golden.  I was considered a renegade.

I was also considered odd as Thor only came to work with me once a week, vice every day.....

PPCLI Guy said:
I spent some time with the "Rifles" and had a very stupid Retriever, Golden.  I was considered a renegade.

I was also considered odd as Thor only came to work with me once a week, vice every day.....

On the upside, they usually train their dogs well in the UK so having them around isn't the same as in North America where its easy to confuse many people's pets with spoiled children.

PPCLI Guy said:

I would have thought they consider you odd because of your accent and your down to Earth attitude...

MM

daftandbarmy said:
On the upside, they usually train their dogs well in the UK so having them around isn't the same as in North America where its easy to confuse many people's pets with spoiled children.

That is because they live with their dogs, and send their kids to kennels boarding schools

PPCLI Guy said:
That is because they live with their dogs, and send their kids to kennels boarding schools

Which is likely why British Dogs are rarely seen cross dressing....

Canadian regimental culture is based on the process developed in Britain during the First World War.  The idea was to gather soldiers from a common area and train them in a regiment that would reinforce their geographic identity.  Having common traditions and language dialects would unite a fighting formation with the idea that they would never let one of their own down.  The regimental tradition also brings a sense of pride as regimental histories can go back hundreds of years. 

The Canadian regimental system is a bit of mixed bag.  Regular force regiments can draw on volunteers from across the country.  It is common for soldiers to request to stay as close to home as possible but you can join in BC and ask for the PPCLI and get sent the RCR in NB.  Soldiers from Quebec due to language will probably be posted to Five Brigade units.  Reserve regiments on the other hand are responsible for recruiting their own soldiers and this only done locally. These units represent the old school fashion of maintaining regimental identities.

Is the regimental system vital to maintaining our Army?  At the start of the First World War our units were smashed together in a haphazard fashion by the then Minister of Militia but went on to achieve remarkable battlefield victories without having any history to stiffen their spines.  Soldiers in the end will fight to protect their friends and save themselves with little thought of regiment or country.  This may be so but its the regimental system that binds them together in training preparing them for the battles to come.  They loyalty to each other created during this period is what allows regiments to get the job done.

Back