• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

FJAG said:
:rofl:

It's in the Daily Mail so it has to be true, but the person that came up with this is a genius. Anyone who can milk 1.5 million pounds out of the government for this cr@p has to be a genius. The person who authorized the campaign on the other hand . . . well he probably has to be a brigadier.  :facepalm:

:cheers:

Nah ... the article quotes a major general as taking the credit. Brigadiers are, likely, still too close to reality to think of this sort of thing ... they still remember what real soldiers do, day-by-day.  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
Nah ... the article quotes a major general as taking the credit. Brigadiers are, likely, still too close to reality to think of this sort of thing ... they still remember what real soldiers do, day-by-day.  :nod:

Mea Culpa. But . . . a MGen taking credit for the work of a BGen isn't that unusual, is it?  ;D

In video format:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8NlNNV5gF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGHEZMSek4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x939O8hKQV4

Infanteer said:
The videos aren't actually that bad!

The 3rd one with the joker is awesome.  The videos really changed my opinion of the whole campaign.

The first video left me flat. I din't see the connection clearly. The other two were bang on and quite good.

You really can't make this stuff up.

Guardsman to resign in disgust after his picture was used below the word 'snowflakes' in a controversial recruitment campaign

Guardsman Stephen McWhirter is quitting the Army over advertising campaign

His image was used next to the words 'Snowflakes, your Army needs you'

He expressed his fury with other troops dismayed about the £1.5m campaign

See article here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6561137/Guardsman-resign-disgust-picture-used-controversial-recruitment-campaign.html

You'd think this would qualify as harassment.

FJAG said:
You really can't make this stuff up.

See article here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6561137/Guardsman-resign-disgust-picture-used-controversial-recruitment-campaign.html

You'd think this would qualify as harassment.

Meanwhile, in Royal Marines recruiting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvBH38WsNA

This doesn't really reflect the struggles they are having to 'keep numbers up' though. It's daunting, and difficult to figure out what will attract today's youth 'to the colours'.

daftandbarmy said:
Meanwhile, in Royal Marines recruiting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvBH38WsNA

This doesn't really reflect the struggles they are having to 'keep numbers up' though. It's daunting, and difficult to figure out what will attract today's youth 'to the colours'.

I f@@cking hate spiders!!!

:clubinhand:

FJAG said:
I f@@cking hate spiders!!!

:clubinhand:

I'm sure they would return the compliments :)

I know an ex-FFL guy who spent a loooooooong time in the jungle and desert. He's now a professional 'creepy crawly' photographer.

With me it's spiders (for which, like most people, I blame my mother), with my wife snakes. This means we can come to each others assistance when necessary.

We do avoid try places where both are prevalent.  ;D

Dimsum said:
Remember, it's the little ones that hang out inside your combat boots overnight that will actually kill you  :nod:

:nod:

Wish I had a photo of the fucker I ran into in Uzbekistan. Sadly, I was too busy shrieking, running, and bootfucking anything that humungous bastard touched.

The Spectator nails it  :nod:

Why is the army trying to recruit snowflakes?

Imagine sending a snowflake to fight Isis. Imagine packing off the kind of people who shake and weep when they encounter an idea they don’t like to wage war on Islamist militants who kill people for fun. Imagine calling upon a generation that has been brought up to think that mere words can be crimes against humanity — words like ‘I don’t believe in climate change’ or ‘If you have a penis you are not a woman’ — to take up arms against people who commit actual crimes against humanity.

This is what the British Army wants to do. It wants to recruit snowflakes. It thinks it can utilise their ‘compassion’. Let’s leave to one side the fact that the most active snowflakes are the opposite of compassionate — there’s nothing nice or caring about silencing women who criticise Islam or shutting down feminists worried about transgenderism, both of which have been done by snowflake students. More importantly, the army shouldn’t be putting out a call to snowflakes. It should be recruiting the robust, the brave, the adventurous — you know, the kind of people who don’t phone the police when they see a meme they don’t like.

Launched this week, the army’s recruitment drive is all about challenging stereotypes of the young. One mocked-up, old-style recruitment poster says: ‘Snowflakes — your army needs you and your compassion.’ Another says: ‘Me me me millennials — the army needs you and your self-belief.’ Other posters are aimed at ‘phone zombies’ — apparently the army needs their ability to ‘focus’ — and ‘selfie-addicts’, who might furnish the military with their ‘confidence’. The message is that the young ain’t as bad as we think. Even the narcissistic selfie-taker has something to offer. Even so-called snowflakes are well-meaning. Even youngsters who gawp at their phones all day clearly have an aptitude for attention. The army is saying it can make fine use of all these youths and their supposed bad habits.

Now, I actually agree that millennials and Generation Z (those born after the mid-1990s) are not as tragic as media headlines would have us believe. Yes, some of them are, and these tend to be the ones who hog the headlines. You’re far more likely to get a column in the Guardian if you’re a twentysomething ethnic-minority person agitating for a ban on white philosophers at your uni than if you’re a twentysomething bloke from South Shields who’s had a job for seven years and thinks Brexit is great. Many young people are cracking on with life — working, getting hitched, not referring to every difficulty in their lives as a ‘mental illness’ — but no one is much interested in them.

However, the army’s new campaign isn’t speaking to those young people. It is expressly reaching out to the more snowflakey millennials, to the self-obsessed millennials, to the selfie-addicted members of Gen Z. And in the process it is flattering their vices. It is treating what are unquestionably bad habits — constant self-gazing, moral and intellectual cowardice, the warped belief that protecting one’s self-esteem from ‘harm’ should take precedence over other people’s right to freedom of speech — as good qualities. So good, in fact, that the army can deploy them in the battlefield. ‘Binge-gamers, your army needs you and your drive’, one poster says, even though army bigwigs surely know that youngsters who play games all day often lack drive — that’s why they play games all day. In treating this vice as a virtue, the army is deluding itself, fantasising that the 19-year-old Wotsits addict who plays Fortnite for 10 hours a day is a readymade warrior for Britain, when he is the precise opposite.

The army used to be about transforming the young. It used to be about turning ill-disciplined, scruffy, self-obsessed youths into focused soldiers. It used to be about encouraging recruits to look beyond themselves and to value comradeship and devotion to the nation above me, me, me. Now it does the opposite. Now it says that ‘me, me, me millennials’ are fine, full of ‘self-belief’ in fact, and just the kind of people the army needs. Such delusion. Me, me, me millennials are not in fact driven by self-belief but rather by an often crushing sense of fragility and uncertainty. Indeed, they focus on ‘me’ because the world beyond ‘me’ appears scary to them. A properly responsible army would say to them: ‘The world is scary. But you can handle it. Just as soon as you get over your ridiculous obsession with yourself.’

This army campaign speaks to more than naff PR. It reveals a society that is no longer able to instil the values of discipline, courage, duty and sacrifice in the young. It exposes a society that cannot say to its young: ‘Switch off your PlayStations, get off Instagram, stop being scared of things you disagree with, and think about other people, and the nation itself, for a change.’ Instead we fantasise that an army of insecure, selfie-taking, fragile kids is just what Britain needs to defend itself and its global interests. Isis must be laughing their heads off.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/why-is-the-army-trying-to-recruit-snowflakes/

How DO you sleep at night? MPs accuse lawyer whose firm made £11m from hounding British troops of being ‘dishonest and deluded’

Martyn Day's firm sued the MoD on behalf of Iraqis alleging soldier wrongdoing

Former army officer Johnny Mercer MP accused Day of being 'dishonest'

Mercer asked if Day was 'proud' or 'had any concept of the lives you have ruined'

By JEMMA BUCKLEY FOR DAILY MAIL

The co-founder of a law firm accused of hounding British troops was asked how he slept at night during a furious exchange with MPs yesterday.

Martyn Day admitted his company made £11 million by suing the Ministry of Defence on behalf of Iraqis alleging wrongdoing by British soldiers.

The Leigh Day boss told the Commons defence committee that he had never met any of the veterans his firm had put in the dock, and had never visited Iraq.

Conservative MP Johnny Mercer, a former Army officer, accused Mr Day of being ‘dishonest’ in one of the high-profile cases, which was the subject of a £31 million public inquiry in 2014. He said: ‘You have been dishonest throughout this process.’

. . .

See rest of article here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6571341/MPs-accuse-lawyer-firm-11m-hounding-British-troops-dishonest-deluded.html

On a scale of 1 to 'SAS Selection', the 8 miler is about a 1.5 ..... seriously....  :facepalm:

Woman who failed frontline infantry fitness test was given a 'pass' by the Army until furious male soldiers who HAD completed course staged rebellion
• Corporal Daisy Dougherty had failed the fitness test but was allowed to continue
• She was hoping to become one of the Army’s first female infantry instructors 
• After those who failed were allowed to continue, some angry soldiers rebelled
• Eventually, fearing a public outcry, commanders reversed their initial decision 

A female soldier was allowed to continue on an Army selection course even though she failed a vital fitness test – triggering a rebellion among male troops who had passed. Corporal Daisy Dougherty was hoping to become one of the Army’s first female infantry instructors following the landmark decision last year to let women join combat units and Special Forces. The first stage in the selection process required her to prove her fitness by completing an eight-mile march in under two hours over arduous terrain while carrying a heavy pack and a rifle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6585341/Woman-failed-infant-test-given-pass-Army-furious-male-soldiers-staged-rebellion.html

How do you make PARAs look less fierce on TV? Turn it off and go make yourself some tea, there's a good chap...  :rofl:

"MoD wanted to make Paras look less fierce on TV

The Ministry of Defence tried to censor a documentary about the Parachute Regiment – for fear that it made members of the elite regiment look too aggressive.

Whitehall mandarins pleaded with officers to curb their violent behaviour and foul language when cameras were filming them training their troops – but the battle-hardened veterans refused.

Defence chiefs also wanted to cut scenes in which Paras mocked troops from other regiments for not being as tough as them.
And the producers of ITV’s The Paras: Men Of War refused to tone down their programme, which showed instructors manhandling junior soldiers and screaming in their faces.

The scenes, seen by more than two million viewers, fly in the face of the MoD’s moves to soften the image of the Army and its current recruitment drive encouraging sensitive ‘snowflakes’ to enlist to plug shortages in troop numbers.

Para commanders ignored the mandarins’ requests, insisting their proven methods should be represented accurately on screen.
A Para source said: ‘We were asked by the MoD to tone it down a bit and cut down the intimidation but we were not going to change. Para selection has always been rough. People in other parts of the Army don’t always appreciate that.

‘If people watching at home on their TV sets are offended by that so be it, because people like them wouldn’t be any use to us.
They’re not potential paratroopers.’

Thursday night’s opening episode showed an instructor grabbing a recruit by his collar during a march, while in another scene an instructor bawled at a man after he repeatedly failed to pack his kit properly.

Nick Betts, who produced the documentary for Avanti Media, added: ‘We would not sugar-coat the truth, even if that truth would occasionally be unpalatable.’

Last night, an Army spokesman said: ‘The Paras documentary shows the rigorous and rewarding training and selection process that all our recruits into the regiment must undertake."

Back