• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bowe Bergdahl: Missing in AFG 2009, Released 2014, Tried 2015

This, from U.S. SecDef Hagel:
A few hours ago, the family of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was informed by President Obama that their long wait for his return will soon be over. Sgt. Bergdahl is now under the care of the U.S. military after being handed over by his captors in Afghanistan. We will give him all the support he needs to help him recover from this ordeal, and we are grateful that he will soon be reunited with his family.

Also today, I informed Congress of the decision to transfer five detainees from Guantánamo Bay to Qatar. The United States has coordinated closely with Qatar to ensure that security measures are in place and the national security of the United States will not be compromised. I appreciate the efforts of the Emir of Qatar to put these measures in place, and I want to thank him for his instrumental role in facilitating the return of Sgt. Bergdahl.

Sgt. Bergdahl's return is a powerful reminder of the enduring, sacred commitment our nation makes to all those who serve in uniform. The United States government never forgot Sgt. Bergdahl, nor did we stop working to bring him back. I am grateful to all the military and civilian professionals ­ from DOD and our interagency partners ­ who helped make this moment possible, and to all those Americans who stood vigil with the Bergdahl family.

Also trending on Twitter.

A bit more of the latest ....
.... One Defense Department official said that once Sergeant Bergdahl was safely aboard the American military helicopter flown to the rendezvous, he wrote on a paper plate with a pen — because it was so loud — “S.F.?” seeking to find out if his rescuers were American Special Forces.

One soldier yelled back, “Yes, we’ve been looking for you for a long time,” at which point, the Pentagon official said, Sergeant Bergdahl broke down crying.
Nothing on the Taliban's official site yet (if ever).

I am glad that we were able to gain his release.He was a PFC when he was captured and was promoted several times during captivity.At some point he will be debriefed and then we shall see what happens.How he stayed alive for 5 years will be key.Anyway he's back and will be able to spend time with his family,after his debrief and physical.

Here is a rundown on the Taliban that were released. :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/us/bergdahl-transferred-guantanamo-detainees/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

tomahawk6 said:
Here is a rundown on the Taliban that were released. :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/us/bergdahl-transferred-guantanamo-detainees/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
yikes! Five for one. I guess there was hard bargaining involved.

milnews.ca said:
Nothing on the Taliban's official site yet (if ever).
And now there is (usual caveat re:  don't link to a bad-guy page if you don't want the bad guys to get your info)....
We heartily congratulate the whole nation, Mujahidin of the Islamic Emirate, particularly the kith and kin of the released ones that five heads of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan namely Mulla Muhammad Fazal Akhund, Mulla Noorulla Noori, Mulla Khairulla Khairkhwa, Mulla Abdul Haq Waseeq and Moulavi Muhammad Nabi who had been incarcerated for the last thirteen years in ‘Guantanamo Jail’ are released due to the benevolence of Allah Almighty and the sacrifices of the heroic and courageous Mujahidin of the Islamic Emirate.

These five heads were released in the result of an indirect negotiation between the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan and the United States mediated by Qatari government. They will remain with their families inside Qatar and will lead a normal life.

To get the preceding five heads released, it is worth mentioning that the Islamic Emirate handed over the American soldier to the US who was captive with us approximately for the last five years.

These five heads of the Islamic Emirate were handed over on Saturday at 07:00 pm Afghanistan standard time to the delegation of Qatar who has been waiting there in ‘Guantanamo Bay’ for the previous three days. This delegation, including five heads of the Islamic Emirate, left Guantanamo at 10:00 pm and will arrive in Qatar today Sunday. They will be received and welcomed by the Political Bureau of the Islamic Emirate inside Qatar and members of the leading council of the Islamic Emirate. Similarly, the American prisoner ‘Bergdahl’ was handed over in the suburbs of ‘Khost’ province to the other side on Saturday at 07:00 pm Afghanistan standard time.

The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan has been taking all possible measures since long to get all the Afghan prisoners released whether they are incarcerated inside the country or outside and to let them enjoy a free and peaceful life.

In the future too, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is determined to get all the Mujahidin prisoners released as soon as possible. In this regard, we expect all the legal and human rights societies particularly the United Nations to share and accelerate their efforts with Afghan people and the Islamic Emirate on the basis of human sympathy so that all the incarcerated people are freed and their basic legal and human rights are safeguarded and they could lead an independent and peaceful life of their own accord.

The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan
Screen capture also attached.

And here's what the Washington Post has to share about the released Gitmo-ites:
They were among the Taliban’s most influential commanders — five men whom the United States succeeded in removing from the battlefield.

But on Saturday, they were released from the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl — a deeply controversial decision that raised concerns in Kabul and Washington even as Bergdahl’s homecoming was celebrated.

One of the freed men was the head of the Taliban’s army. Another arranged for al-Qaeda trainers to visit Afghanistan. Another has been implicated by the United Nations for killing thousands of Shiite Muslims.

Although the five men have each been in prison for at least a decade, many believe they still have significant influence within the Taliban because of their contributions during the group’s formative years. The last time a high-level Taliban official was released from Guantanamo, in 2007, the detainee, Mullah Abdul Qayyum Zakir, returned to Afghanistan and took the reins as the organization’s director of military operations ....

Not to put to much gloom on this happy event, there is a fair bit of negative comments i've been seeing on various facebook groups and such. Calling him a deserter, Seems a fair number believe that version of events that he basically walked away from the FOB. The word traitor is showing up a fair bit, perhaps his debrief will get the who story of how it actually happened.

MilEME09 said:
Not to put to much gloom on this happy event, there is a fair bit of negative comments i've been seeing on various facebook groups and such. Calling him a deserter, Seems a fair number believe that version of events that he basically walked away from the FOB. The word traitor is showing up a fair bit, perhaps his debrief will get the who story of how it actually happened.

He did walk away from the FOB and was captured.Both are facts.We shall soon find out if he was trying to defect or whether he was just out for a walk.Alot of effort was made to locate him unnecessarily risking the lives of others.How he survived for 5 years is the key to what happens next.I am glad that he will come home to his family.But he isnt a hero.

tomahawk6 said:
He was a PFC when he was captured and was promoted several times during captivity.

Curious: what is the rationale behind the policy of granting promotions during captivity?

US must keep them completely on the books, and his promotions were mandatory with time served? That's the only logical thing I can think of.

tomahawk6 said:
He did walk away from the FOB and was captured.Both are facts.We shall soon find out if he was trying to defect or whether he was just out for a walk.Alot of effort was made to locate him unnecessarily risking the lives of others.How he survived for 5 years is the key to what happens next.I am glad that he will come home to his family.But he isnt a hero.

His father's twitter account is suspicious. Almost seems as though his "capture and release" was all part of another plan.

sprl said:
Curious: what is the rationale behind the policy of granting promotions during captivity?

We followed the same policy during Vietnam and Iraq.Once the person was either repatriated or confirmed dead the promotions stopped.It helps the guys with families as they still get his pay.

PuckChaser said:
Raises a lot of questions, if the evidence is there that he deserted, I hope he's charged.

Don't count on it. This is a feel good story for the Obama administration. And if the military justice system does pursue charges, I can almost guarantee you that there will be high profile law firms lining up to defend him, and segments of the media willing to discredit the military justice system.

I could see this turning into a real life TV season of "Homeland"...

Watch and see for now

I am sure that the Bergdahl story will be interesting to follow in the coming weeks.  Everything from his upbringing, to his joining the military, to his deployment, his 'disappearance' and now his return to the US; all will be scrutinized in detail by various media and government organizations.  So far, what we have seen is one heck of a convoluted story.  Sifting through it all should prove interesting for the next few months.

I wonder what the end analysis will be?  Traitor?  Innocent mistake?  Moron?  Abduction?  Religious convert?  None of the above?  All of the above?

Back