• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bow Hunting Vs Rifle Hunting

You can bait deer here, apparently one of the few places that’s allowed. It’s really more harvesting than hunting.

It is in some cases, depending on numbers.

I personally don't care to eat antlers, but like having an ample supply of venison in my freezer.

The MNRF doesn't arrive at it's regulations willy-nilly, there was a time in Ont where you couldn't. They clearly have determined that the population can be managed and thrive, even with baiting allowed.

Its a very polarizing topic in the hunting community. I have sat over bait piles and I have stalked. I will say baiting is waaaaaaay more productive. But stalking is more fun.
Sure is… we saw 19 does the first morning. No doe tags though.

I use modern firearms, black powder and bows to extend my season. While there is no consideration for one in the hunting regs, I'm seriously planning on trying to master the atlatl starting in the spring.

There's a reason muskets replaced long bows. While shooting is a skill, you can become pretty proficient with a few days of instruction and practice. Archery is a skill that you can spend a lifetime practicing, and never be great at.
Sigh. Your description of archery just described my efforts at skeet.

Sigh. Your description of archery just described my efforts at skeet.
Skeet really isn’t that hard. It’s all about knowing the required lead and holds, which can be frustrating but muscle memory and knowledge comes with practice.

Archery adds in multiple aspects beyond that. As the draw and release adds in exponential complications.

I suck at Archery fwiw.

Depends on some factors. Hunting with a rifle may not be legal depending on the region. My advice is to start with a .22 long rifle, like rimfire rifles. They are perfect for killing small animals. Bows are not something I'm very interested in, so I'm not very knowledgeable about them. But I think they best bows are compound bows. It is highly utilized and easy to carry.

Skeet really isn’t that hard. It’s all about knowing the required lead and holds, which can be frustrating but muscle memory and knowledge comes with practice.

Definitely helps come bird season. I won't hunt with anyone who hasn't joined me on the skeet field and shot at least 4-5 rounds.

Nothing more frustrating than being in the field, and having a bird get missed by one or more guys, who empty the gun, then look at the gun like it's to blame.

Archery adds in multiple aspects beyond that. As the draw and release adds in exponential complications.

I suck at Archery fwiw.
Muscle memory is the key. I have an old (1973) Winchester 1400. It is now a beat up trunk gun. I put thousands of shells through it learning skeet. I got good enough to get my perfect 500 patch. That's 100 shells in each gauge 12, 16, 20, 28 & 410 in a single session with no misses. I don't use that gun anymore, but I can still grab it and still shoot perfect rounds. Something I can't do with my other shotguns without doing much practice again.

Back