• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boulet Cdn Desert Boots - Rpts and Rtns? What do you think of this product?

Beadwindow 7 said:
I found pretty much the same thing with the soles of the converse desert boots I wore there last time. I've loved my black swats here, so I'm willing to spend the cash on extra boots.

And the fact that you, and thousands of others, are willing to expend your own personal funds on kit that the Crown should be (Footwear: by scale of entitlement) providing you with so that you can do your jobs without suffering medical injury, signifies that there are huge problems with those entitled items that the Crown is providing you with.

Perhaps, one day, the Crown will actually clue in to this vast problem and actually do something about effecting a correction of it. And the first step towards that is them finally acknowledging the fact that soldiers march on their stomachs first, and feet second. It SHOULD be a priority. Cramming everyone into one style of boot never has, and never will, be acceptable or even conducive to meeting mission/operational objectives - instead it's just hurting our soldiers and causing further aggravation when those medical "foot" issues migrate up the skeleton to begin affecting the knees, hips, and spines of our troops. This current policy takes our soldiers OUT of the operations business and puts them instead into the "PCat" pending accomodation and "medical release" with "medical pensions" business instead, precisely because those injuries ARE attributable to their military service.

In a time when we are struggling to recruit, you'd think that being pro-active in dealing with a problem in their system that only serves to "fuck the soldiers by built-in default setting" would be much more effecient, cost effective; actually promoting and assisting our soldiers with maintaining their health, further lending to the CF's capability to succeed in it's duties, tasks, roles and responsibilities as directed by the Government on behalf of the people?

Just how much are all those VAC pensions costing every year?? And training recruit replacements due to the medical releases?? And losing 'experience' due to his feet be screwed by the boots you forced him into?? How much are those multi-million dollar contracts for footwear that nobody wants or wears because it actually hurts them worth every year?? I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more than it would have been had we actually allowed personnel to purchase footwear at Crown expense that actually works for them instead of hurting them.

I pray --- for an Act of Gawd; please hit SOMEONE with an enlightening bolt.

ArmyVern said:
And the fact that you, and thousands of others, are willing to expend your own personal funds on kit that the Crown should be (Footwear: by scale of entitlement) providing you with so that you can do your jobs without suffering medical injury, signifies that there are huge problems with those entitled items that the Crown is providing you with.

Only thing I can really do is give the boulet a shot, probably on a BFT, take the hit to my feet they may provide, and Write up a UCR and return them.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Only thing I can really do is give the boulet a shot, probably on a BFT, take the hit to my feet they may provide, and Write up a UCR and return them.

Good luck with that.  ;)

I really, no really, hope that they work for you and don't end up screwing your feet up any more.

ArmyVern said:
Good luck with that.  ;)

I really, no really, hope that they work for you and don't end up screwing your feet up any more.

Thanks. Fingers crossed, because on said BFT, I'll probably be giving the new Ruck a shot as well.

I've wore the boots around for two days so far,just doing DAG's and stuff.My ankles (weird spot for me)are all blistered and cut up from them already.I plan on switching back to the old one's from Bosnia as these I cannot wear.I didnt actually have the time prior to deployment to try them out and have only been in desert combats as I said for a few days.

I refuse to buy a pair.It's just something I'm against.

Thanks to all for their critique.

Looks like I'll be wearing my Altamas afterall.

Canada, like Australia fiddle farts around with their own designs, which is always a dismal failure.

Australia has authorised the use of private purchase desert boots because of the lack of confidence in own own crap boots.

Why they can't do off the shelf buys for a proven design, I'll never know.

Regards,

OWDU

Wow, I don't know of anybody in my platoon that's had these issues with the boulets, I mean, I don't like them, but I haven't see then crippling effects of them at all, or heard about it from anybody else here. Did the design change since 1-08 deployed?

Well, perhaps you guys were lucky in your particular platoon for 1-08 ...

There's a lot of folks from 1-07 which predates your tour here suffering still from the effects of those boots.

I know on workup training after I did my BFT and basically had my heels turn into huge deep, exploded bleeding blisters, which also happened to other guys in my platoon wearing the Boulets, I switched. I ended up buying a pair of Amazon 4's and found those were like tennis shoes and worked pretty good here. Now I'm wearing a pair of Oakley desert hot weather boots that are definatley the cats meow. Never had a problem with them. Augmented them with a pair of SOLE moldable insoles that i picked up from CP gear prior to deployment.

I know that out of my platoon, very very few wear the issued Boulets or Altamas. Original SWATs are in the over whelming majority, and behind them, Oakleys.

So to sum up, the issued desert boots are junk. We've been here since July, and arent doing all too much dismounted work although we are outside the wire most of the time. So far the guys that have decided to where the issued ones are continually complaining about feet pain, or the boots breaking.

I like them. Never had an issue. For me they are much better than the old ones. The old ones where not friendly to orthotics or wide feet.

Iv spent time in the old jungle boot type, and the new type. I much rather the new type. In fact IV got 3 sets, 2 for work and one for personal use. and I wear them alot durring summer excurtions and the such.

I didn't like the Boulet boots; so I went to the US PX an bought a pair of Bellevilles - awesome boots. Just wore the Bellevilles and a pair of the jungle boot style desert boot on tour.

Just off ebay USA, picked up a NEW pair of genuine Altama panama soled desert boots for $15 (they had no laces), plus $40 AIRMAIL shipping. These retail here for get this...... $280 AUD a pair. How silly is that. I land them in Australia for $55 USD! Should be here in 7-10 days.

OWDU.

Had 'new' and  'newer' pairs of Boulets issued prior to deployment. The 'new' ones I didnt like due to the heel bunching up on the inside and causing major hot spots. The 'newer' Boulets I had were a lot better and I wore them a fair amount, kind of clunky but held up and were relatively comfortable. Also used a pair of desert magnums for a while and found them to be comfortable but the sole was way too soft for my liking.

...boot of choice for me was definitley the Meindl, hurt like hell to break in but after that initial few weeks they were golden, stiff sole, lots of support and picked them up from the Brit PX for about a $100 cheaper than could be found when I looked at home prior to leaving.

cheers.

I've worn mine only a few times briefly and I hate them.  You might say that's not enough to give them a fair shake but if I find a boot so undesirable after only a few brief trys, well that's good enough for me.

Heavy as hell and clumsy.  Like someone said... clown shoes.  And I could alreayd feel chaffing starting around the ankles.

Not decided on a desert boot from downtown yet, but reassured, I will be buying my own and NOT wearing these.

We spent our whole tour doing dismounted patrols. I used a pair of Lowa Desert Elite boots, basically a desert version of the Lowa mountain boots. These boots are golden! They held up amazingly, I wore them everyday and they dont show any signs of wear. Great stability and comfort. They are a bit heavier than a pair of Altama desert "jungle" style boots but the weight is well worth the stability and comfort.

I only hear good things about Lowa boots. Have you heard anything in particular about the Seeker Desert PT model?
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3512080430&Category=8&Type=M

Another option would be Rocky S2Vs. I've been wearing a pair for a few days now and I'm VERY happy with them. I know of at least one dude who wore a pair for the Ironman and he had positive things to say as well. They're very light,very cool, drain grommits, speed laces, ect. And they were made in conjuction with Real Navy SEALs. That means they're totally frikken sweet. ;D
http://www.rockyboots.com/products/details.aspx?productId=4287&lehighproductId=1600FQ0000102

One of the other guys in the company had the seekers. From what he said, and seeing them I would say they are better suited to "mec stuff". They were not nearly as durable or robust as the desert elite. They were, however, much lighter and more flexible. Great for riding around in a LAV or wandering around KAF or a FOB but not so great for any kind of real longer range light patrolling. Just my opinion though.

Just my opinion though.

Your opinion has  a pretty good track record. Thanks for the tip. :salute:

And if you get the time, I'd love to see how you have your jump ruck rigged to the MR NICE frame. I was thinking the BVS NICE might be a worthwhile investment, especially considering ICE's new ruck...

Back