• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BOTP Questions

cda84

Inactive
Reaction score
Simple question, there is a CAP course available for me Feb 6, must I complete BOTP Part II (already did BMQ last summer), before going on CAP? Or can I do the extra week of leadership stuff at a later date?

My money is on a firm and definite "no".  What you learn on BOTP Pt. II is basically the prerequisites for CAP.  You're not likely to pass CAP without having that course.

No. They won't let you do it.

I'm taking the step into the world of tea, monocles and warm mod tents myself this summer (transferring from NCM to officer...sigh) and I have BMQ, SQ, BIQ, D2PA and by the time summer comes around, be a corporal with 2 1/2 years. And no, I can't pass BOTP II. Gotta give 'er.

With DP2A you can't get a bypass for BOTP Ph II?  That's a little surprising, to be honest, you basically should already have the knowledge of battle procedure and small party tasks from 2A, unless I'm not thinking of the right course (the names change too often!)

Redeye said:
With DP2A you can't get a bypass for BOTP Ph II?  That's a little surprising, to be honest, you basically should already have the knowledge of battle procedure and small party tasks from 2A, unless I'm not thinking of the right course (the names change too often!)

Nope. Well, its probably due to the fact that DP2A in 031 is IPSWQ...not so much leadership, as weapons. Now, thats not to say there isnt anything associated with leadership, and the handling of C6 on the mount could be considered as such, but I believe you are getting courses mixed up. But, I mean, BOTP Ph. II for me is only going to be...something like, a week and a half in the middle of May, before 10 weeks or so of CAP training. Whatever.

EDIT. Maybe you were thinking about QL3 or DP3.

Baloo said:
Nope. Well, its probably due to the fact that DP2A in 031 is IPSWQ...not so much leadership, as weapons. Now, thats not to say there isnt anything associated with leadership, and the handling of C6 on the mount could be considered as such, but I believe you are getting courses mixed up. But, I mean, BOTP Ph. II for me is only going to be...something like, a week and a half in the middle of May, before 10 weeks or so of CAP training. Whatever.

EDIT. Maybe you were thinking about QL3 or DP3.

I was thinking of 2B - what used to be JLC/JNCO.  IPSWQ, I've heard, may gain you an exemption from one of the Phase III/DP 1.1 Infantry modules, but that's only a theory at this point.  The training plan for Reservists as far as I've been told is being revamped this year with some hope of adding flexibility and distributed learning options.

As for CAP - it's actually 11 weeks, though the final week is really only administration basically, by the end of week ten you have all your POs done.  It's a pretty good course, it'll challenge you but also teach you a great deal.

Hehehe... Everybody told us that the last week will be the easyest  of the course. But They kick our butts that week last summer.

Do someone remember the 15k march during the Cowling competition? At least for thoses SON who started the walking part before noon...Then, the morning after the course party (that was on wednesday), they've force us to wake up at 5 o'clock to do a 15K run.

The CAP is challenging from the first day until the last day. The only difference beetween the fist week and the last week, is that you can see the end of it!!!!

As if your name didn't give it away, you must have been in the Franco platoon.  I was just down the hall from you poor sods when you got woken up for PT the morning after everyone had their course parties.

The Cowling Cup wasn't too bad for my section, we were lucky enough to draw a 0730 start time, but other sections in my platoon left later in the afternoon and were in terrible shape by the end.  It was just starting to get hot when we reached Lauvina Wood, that's when they told everyone to take off their helmets.

CAP was generally speaking a great course, and enough of a challenge to keep you on your toes without making you hate it all... in my opinion anyhow.

I did a search, can't find anything.

I need a kit list of sorts for BOTP, since they don't tell us civvie-u kids diddly squat. I'll be off May 1st for it, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could assist me here. And also, if kit stays the same for CAP (since I think I'll be going there right after). 

Are you just asking what you have to bring to BOTP??

It's all in the course joining instructions.  See the Annexes in this link.  http://www.cflrs.dnd.ca/site/soyez_prets/peeo/joining_e.pdf

Hope this helps, if not let me know.  Its the exact same as IAP, bring back all your issued stuff. 

I'll see you in May ;D

I'm just finishing up BMQ as an infantry officer with the PLF, and apparently I'm signed on to a BOTP for the 29th of July. I have no idea what BOTP in the reserves is, how long it is, or anything. My Warrant hasn't given me any dates for the past week or so and a French officer told me yesterday that BOTP was seven weeks long, but another officer cadet told me it was just five days of leadership courses. So what is it?

Yeah ok, I found out on the 37 Canadian Brigade Group's website that BOTP is actually only five days. I don't know why that French guy told me it was seven weeks. Sorry to waste time.

Reserve IAP is BMQ with the additional 5 day leadership mod afterwards.  BOTP is, I believe, the same seven week course regardless of component.

Radcliffe,

BOTP(2) is a week long leadership course that introduces the candidate to SMESC, small party tasks, and other relevant leadership info that you will use on CAP, DP 1.1 and DP 1.2. In a nutshell, it's a coffee course that entails lectures, studying, lectures and more studying(4 days), followed by 2 days of small party tasks, with the first day being a demostration/practice day and the second day being the PO check. Cheers. 

I've only been able to find info for BOTP dating back a couple of years, and the course has been changing for a while now. Can anyone give me a run down of what the course is like more recently? Also, because I'm Civvy-U, to the best of my knowledge I will attend a course that is a week longer than RMC OCdts, is this accurate as well?

Thanks!

Benny

Thanks Sapper, I saw that, but if you check the bottom of that page you see it was updated in November of 2006, and I believe it's changed since then.

I'll check my DIN links later, but think it hasn't changed since then.

Did you read this thread?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/59864.0.html

and this one?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52871.0.html

Back