• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

Let's keep the chatter down and just answer the questions.

Milnet.ca Staff

Info available at CFHA's web site (http://cfha.mil.ca/info/index_e.asp) and select your base from the "Housing Locations" on the left. (I know it's only generic stuff but contact info is there)

Having grown up as an Air Force brat I fully realize that I will be separated from my family for sometimes long periods of time. Being happy that I can live with my husband during a portion of my training does not indicate anything about my ability to "do stuff on my own". It only indicates that I love my husband.

OK so this was our experience. He got off his BMQ had the weekend to get to Borden he waited 2 and a half years for his course that lasted close to 1 year. He got a PMQ in Borden about I would say not even 2 months after. What he had told me is in order to have your family come as soon as possible you really have to push it as he had friends that waited longer because they were not making sure they were on top of things. Anyhow it was no problem and at that time we didn't even have kids.
Hope this helps

If you have not already applied for a PMQ go to the CFHA site - http://cfha.mil.ca/locations/borden_e.asp

There is some good info there that is useful.  It also provides contact info - call them - you can apply for a PMQ prior to your arrival.

CountDC said:
If you have not already applied for a PMQ go to the CFHA site - http://cfha.mil.ca/locations/borden_e.asp

Maybe she should be accepted in the CF before she does that......just maybe

CDN Aviator said:
yeah...because the only time in your career where you will be away from family for 6 or more months is during trades courses so that works out for you guys.

CDN Aviator, she will most likely be away for other reasons but why not be with your husband while you can?  That way, it's that much easier on the relationship don't you think?  I have been away for 1.5 years (our choice) straight right now and yes it is hard on the relationship.

Luvs 2 Curl:  I'd apply for a PMQ as soon as I have my posting message with the COS date on it.  If it's a restricted posting, ask your Career manager if anything is possible to lift the restriction explaining the situation.

Max

You don't need children to qualify for a PMQ. In fact, many trained personnel who are single choose to rent a PMQ.

NeonStrides said:
In fact, many trained personnel who are single choose to rent a PMQ.

Some bases will not allow that due to shortage of available housing.

NeonStrides said:
You don't need children to qualify for a PMQ. In fact, many trained personnel who are single choose to rent a PMQ.

That's if your lucky enough to be on a base with available PMQ's. Otherwise your SOL.

CDN Aviator said:
Maybe she should be accepted in the CF before she does that......just maybe

according to her post her husband already is.

I have not received an offer yet.  Then person who started this thread, kwright15, her husband is in St-Jean right now.

http://www.allistonherald.com/allistonherald/article/112680

Just seven months after a ceremony to turn over command of CFB Borden to Capt. Fred Schmidt, he was rather unceremoniously removed from command yesterday (Tuesday).
Capt. Fred Schmidt was removed Commanding Officer of the military base after an internal administrative investigation found he made inappropriate verbal "advances" towards two female officers July 7, said Canadian Defence Academy public affairs officer Maj. Yvonne Cooper.

The incident happened in the CFB Borden Officers' Mess. The mess is a dining hall and social club for officers on base.

The two women did not file a formal complaint, but advised their commanding officer of the incident, prompting Canadian Defence Academy Commander Maj.-Gen. Daniel Gosselin to launch an internal investigation, said Cooper.

The day following the incident, Schmidt offered to resign if it was determined he had acted improperly.

"He (Gosselin) did find out that some comments were made that were inappropriate for a person of his (Schmidt's) position, so he felt it necessary to remove him from command based on the results from the investigation," said Cooper.

Cooper would not provide details on the nature of the Schmidt's comments. She said the incident involved verbal remarks only, and that no criminal charges were going to be laid.

Because it is an administrative investigation, and not a disciplinary one, Schmidt will not face court martial or be demoted.

He was put on special leave during the course investigation and will now take his annual leave, Cooper said. When he returns, his file will be reviewed and he will be reassigned.

Cooper said it is unlikely Schmidt would be reposted to CFB Borden.

CFB Borden Chief of Staff Lt.-Col. Michael Sweeney was appointed interim commander, and a new C.O. is expected to be appointed within a few weeks.

Despite the shake up in leadership, it is business as usual at CFB Borden, said base public affairs officer Lt. Jennie Jones.

"It's no more hectic than usual. When something like this happens, there is protocol (that is followed)," said Jones.

Schmidt replaced former CFB Borden C.O. Col. Stewart Moore in a ceremony at the base Jan. 15.

He had previously been posted to CFB Borden twice before becoming commanding officer.

Other articles at:
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1137138
http://www.barrieadvance.com/barrieadvance/article/112678

His replacement has just been announced as Col JJRG (Guy) Hamel, mainly a helicopter pilot

Ouch!!!

Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time.

The base commander was a Capt (army, I presume)? Something's missing here...

hamiltongs said:
The base commander was a Capt (army, I presume)? Something's missing here...

I would hesitate a guess that he was Navy.........or equivalent to Col Army.  That would be why he replaced a Col and is being replaced by a Col.

could also be a Capt (N).... Borden is, after all, a Purple trade school

Captains (Army) would very seldom have a LCol as a Chief of Staff under them.....  ;D

From the Barrie Examiner. Shared in accordance with the copyright act.

Borden boss bounced
Turfed for advances on military women
Posted By BOB BRUTON
Posted 4 hours ago

Base Borden’s new boss is now its old boss.

Navy Capt. Fred Schmidt was removed from command of Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Borden on Tuesday - just more than six months after being sworn in to that post.

His removal as base commander at Borden, southwest of Barrie, is connected to a July 7 incident involving improper behaviour at the CFB Borden Officers Mess.

“He made advances to two female members of the Canadian Forces that were deemed inappropriate,” said Maj. Yvonne Cooper, of CFB Kingston’s public affairs department.

“I don’t know the specifics, but it was comments that were made.”

On July 8, Capt. Schmidt offered to resign if it was determined that he had acted improperly.

Maj.-Gen. Daniel Gosselin, commander of the Canadian Defence Academy, then ordered an investigation into the circumstances of the incident.

As a result of this investigation, Capt. Schmidt was removed from command by Maj.-Gen. Gosselin.

Maj. Cooper said no criminal charges have been laid against Schmidt, and there was no official complaint filed regarding his actions. The military will also take no further disciplinary action against him.

“They (the two women) did not file an official complaint, but did speak to a superior (officer about the incident),” said Cooper.

She said the Canadian Military is not releasing the names of the two women. Cooper also said she did not know if Schmidt knew the women.

Schmidt, who was sworn in as Base Borden’s commander on Jan. 15, is expected to continue his military career.

“(The military) will look at his file to see what is best for him, which positions are open and where he will go,” said Cooper. “We will find him a new job.”

Lt.-Col. Michael Sweeney is currently the interim commander of CFB Borden, and a new commander will be appointed within the next few weeks.

Schmidt joined the Canadian Forces in 1981 after teaching high school in Nova Scotia. He holds a B.A. from Dalhousie University and a B.Ed. from Mount Saint Vincent University.

After completing his sea logistics training in 1983, Schmidt served as supply officer with three ships and in various capacities with Maritime Command.

He has worked as chief logistics officer with the United Nations in the Golan Heights, Syria, and in 2001-2002 was the Canadian representative in American logistics war games.

Before he became Base Borden commander, Schmidt was with Canadian Operational Support Command in 2007.

Contact the writer at bbruton@thebarrieexaminer.com

Just to play Devil's Advocate, I wonder what verbal "advances" were made?  I have to say, from a female's point of view, I would really hate to be a male.

Picture this:

A guy is at the Mess (of whatever rank you choose) and a female is there, all dressed up.  Very nice, like she took some time to look good.

A guy says to her, "Wow, you look hot tonight!"  She can either take that two ways:  A.  as a compliment or B.  as a verbal "advance"

I guess it all depends on how it's said, who it's said to, and most importantly, by what rank to what (subordinate) rank (or civilian).

Obviously, it's all speculation as I wasn't there but you just have to wonder.......

Back