• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

NFLD Sapper said:
My 2 cents (and this debate has gone on before) why would the put a place for a slip on it if it wasn't meant for use as outerwear?

I think, and I could be wrong here -- it's been a few years, the original PIP stated that it was "not intended to be worn as an outer garment in garrison."

Oldheimers (sometimes forgetting the smaller details of past directives) ... good thing I'm on course in Halifax next week; I need beers.  :)

Vern:
Oldheimers is also known as Aluminum Pot Syndrome (APS). Thought you'd like to know. Love the picture.

Ok what kind of polish do i put on the GPB's. I heard it wasnt gortex so i can put parade polish on them right?

I have never hesitated to put everyday Kiwi polish on any of my boots.  I took that stance back in 2000 when I was issued Matterhorn boots to fit my orthodics and I called the company directly to ensure that I could put polish on the boots, because the military had always told me not to do that.

The Company assured me that even though they were Goretex lined the polish affects the leather and not the Goretex liner.

Anyone else have insight on this?

TPR MCG said:
Ok what kind of polish do i put on the GPB's. I heard it wasnt gortex so i can put parade polish on them right?

NSN 7390-21-920-9465 EMU Boot Paste, Low Gloss, Black

Pick up a can where you got the boots.

Be aware, those little cans of paste have issues with the hot Afghani sun. I just opened mine yesterday and it has jellified in to a black and brown blob..

Bzzliteyr said:
Be aware, those little cans of paste have issues with the hot Afghani sun. I just opened mine yesterday and it has jellified in to a black and brown blob..

- Same place, same sun, melted the handle of one of my plastic disposable razors into a bow.

Sorry if this is already a topic somewhere,  i've searched quite a bit and nothing came up.
Im wondering if anyone knows where I can find prospector boot paste, low gloss.  It's what
came with my boots, and i've been told that polish will ruin the boots.  Thanks for any info anyone has.

Cheers.

Something that you will find in that thread is that there is no such thing as Mk IV boots.

As told by Supply Tech:
"You use the regular kiwi polish on your GP's,"

Yeah, it (regualr polish) works fine to blacken them -- but it clogs up the pores so that the gortex barriers etc don't work properly and the boots can't "breathe" and perform properly as they should.

As long as they look good though ...  ::)

There is a reason we have the paste and give it to you for free at Clothing/QMs.

So I do use the Prospector paste?
The Sergeant at Stores specifically told me I should use Kiwi on the GP's, and when I asked if I was supposed to use Prospector like the WWB, he gave me the biggest "no" ever.
EDIT: followed by "[you] are the reason I drink"

Why do so many of you insist on using good old KIWI shoe polish on boots that were not intended to be polished? KIWI is for ankle boots and low dress shoes, NOT for Mark III combat boots nor these Interim boots or WWB.
Please join the 21sy century!!

Many years ago there was a black liquid silicone compound that you dabbed on your cbt boots. That was supposed to be the only thing used to blacken boots. Not Kiwi or any other type of polish.

Back