• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

opie_cic said:
Ah crap I knew that, too. 

Does anyone have experience with the 5.11's that they look cool but suck for anything besides that?  The video certainly made some strong arguments for the boots.

5.11's are hit or miss, I had a pair of 8" strikes that fell apart in less then a year (the Company replaced them for me) The new ones are doing good, and I've had them for about a year now; they were getting worn 2-3 days a week (alternating with my magnums) till we were told issued only.  my HRT's are are about 2 years old and doing good, I had a piece of rubber fall off, but that was due to drying them is the air hose running into a tent (only happened last month, I have worn them since, and it doesn't affect anything).

If anything go with magnums, they are higher, and don't stand out as much (more people wear them), and for some reason your pants will stay bloused much better with them then 5.11's.

The thread is about the GP boots. There's plenty of threads on high speed. low drag footwear already. Go there for discussion on them.

Back on topic.

Milnet.ca Staff

I have had my new MarkIV's for a month now. Due to being on Crse I have not been able to really test them in the field yet or major humps.  From what I can tell though they are holding up pretty good and once I chop back the extra lace they will work pretty good.

I am anticipating a bit of trouble on major humps though unless I go thick socks. 
I am one of those who cannot wear the black nylon sock and for my troops dont recommend it if they are prone to blisters wearing it.  I need and recommend a sport sock to absorb sweat and either green, or grey sock over it.  Foot powder is also a must

You can find silk socks in the sporting goods stores.  Wearing these under the green or grey socks will do the same thing as the black nylon ones we receive.

(I got mine prior to the CF issuing - they work just fine - keep your feet cool and dry

Four variables that make the GP Boot (and any other boot for that matter) work or not work
1. Individual foot (shape, length, width, arch, injuries)
2. Sizing to fit the above (in this case Mondopoint - pretty exacting fit to be had with some experimentation
3. Insoles - stock ones are OK (and miles ahead of the old waferboard contraptions) and
4. Socks/sock system

Personally, once you figure out point #1, point #2 becomes easy (and take the time to check the length/width combos). I had to recently exchange to 5-points longer, 2-points more narrow for exacting fit.
But points #3 and #4 are often overlooked. I find the black/grey sock system actually works as advertised (two layers for friction control, and sweat actually is moved away from the foot to the top surface of the sock. Inside of the boot may be moist, but the feet are dry. Not sure if the black socks are polypro.
The issued insoles are OK, but I have found that by experimenting with aftermarket insoles (Superfeet and Custom SOLE) of varying thicknesses, the foot can be made to seat itself perfectly into the heel cup area, to prevent too much movement that could result in blisters.
So the volume of the inside of the boot and ways to fill it in with your foot, sock system and the right kind of insole all make up for decent boot (whatever the make).
The GPs are just heavy and on the "clunky" side, but are likely to hold up to abuse.

Those with bad experiences, did the boots fail to preserve the feet even after good fit, good socks, and good insoles were taken into account?

opie_cic said:
As for the march, it was made up of.. 10 I think?  Two officers, one female CI and the rest were cadets.  The first year they did it was the one where the march was canceled after 1 day (and two deaths) due to the extreme heat.  They went again the following year and finished the march.  They were part of the Canadian contingent, and as I understand only one cadet unit is allowed to go.  I guess there isn't a lot of interest for it.
Not true, the first year for a cadet team was 2001 the trg NCO was the ACA from RCSU(P), the next year there was no national level involvment, until 2006 the year 2 folks passed due to heat injuries and carried on in 2007.

geo said:
You can find silk socks ...

Mmmmmmmmmmm, silk stockings (it had to be said). :D

On topic, I know plenty of guys (& gals like me too) who wear knee-high panty hose under their socks for marchs ... I've never had a problem, nor have most of the guys (that's why they wear 'em --- so they say ;)).

ArmyVern said:
On topic, I know plenty of guys (& gals like me too) who wear knee-high panty hose under their socks for marchs ... I've never had a problem, nor have most of the guys (that's why they wear 'em --- so they say ;)).
Is that not the intent of the CTS two sock system?

... and the fancy Running Room blister-proof socks too for that matter.

MCG said:

The black nylon sock is okay, as long as you turn it inside out to avoid the seams rubbing on your toes.  I also find it doesn't help that the heel is halfway up my calf.  ::)  I usually go to a sports store and buy a good pair of polypro socks.  Children's size if I can find it.

ArmyVern said:
Mmmmmmmmmmm, silk stockings (it had to be said). :D

Knee high pantyhose?
I thought pantyhose was the full deal all the way up to the crotch - panties included....
Can't visualise fellas running around with the crotch around their knees  :piper: it would look kinda silly - no ???

geo said:
Knee high pantyhose?
I thought pantyhose was the full deal all the way up to the crotch - panties included....
Can't visualise fellas running around with the crotch around their knees :bagpipes: it would look kinda silly - no ???

Knee-highs ...

Ask your 9er; perhaps there'll be a demo in it for you by her.

MCG said:

I experimented with the Running Room crap after I got back in a couple years ago. Couldn't find my old mark III's, and they issued me the IV's or whatever you want to call them. Broke them in with the black and greens. My buddy and I were going on course, I had a coupon, and we thought we'd be smart and load up on RR blister-proof socks before we left.

Worked fine with runners during PT, but marches were a trainwreck. Bunched up inside the green socks.

I find the black socks work by them selves, but than again, I am working in 60 plus temperatures.

When I was getting my initial kit this morning, the supply clerk told me there's been incredible trouble finding any combat boots - Mk III or GP - in sizes 9-10; he's backordered 26 pairs since 1 Nov. Maybe this is specific to LFWA, but it still sucks to be issued only Goretex in the winter due to short stores.

Canuck-Errant said:
When I was getting my initial kit this morning, the supply clerk told me there's been incredible trouble finding any combat boots - Mk III or GP - in sizes 9-10; he's backordered 26 pairs since 1 Nov. Maybe this is specific to LFWA, but it still sucks to be issued only Goretex in the winter due to short stores.

MkIIIs are obsolete now; they'd be an extreme rarity to find in a clothing stores (nil natl stock); And, I believe the sit with the GPs is a current ntnl shortage - so it's not specific to LFWA.

Why? I don't know ... but the GP were only an interim measure ... perhaps someone has already pushed the button/earmarked them for their pending "goodbye" from the CF.  ???

Canuck-Errant said:

Supply Tech...clerks are RMS Clerks.  Just to keep it straight.

Sucks to be issued only Gortex in the winter?  Why?  You'd think different if you ever did an ex where it was just above freezing, wet snow melting and you're slogging around in it.  Then it was cmbt boots or mukluks, and before the days of the gucci gortex socks that are issued now.  I remember using these on my Pre-CLC course in '92 as *gortex socks*.  ;D

The grass wasn't necessarily greener before the gortex boots issued now.

meni0n said:
Will the replacement be any better? If there is one I hope.
That boot (the "real" replacement) is discussed here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/450.0

It's been more than 7 years of talk about that boot and nothing has come out of it. Does anyone actually believe that it will be coming out. It might be even worse than this boot, as that project started way before the GP and boot technology has advanced quiet a bit in that time.

Back