• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

I didn't realize they were an "interim" boot.  Is the way ahead still a CadPat boot, as trialled by 1VP?  I hope not.  The trend in the US now is a suede boot even in temperate climates.  The US Army and USMC have had tan for a few years with the introduction of their digital camouflage and the USAF has just gone to a green suede boot with their new uniforms.

Dirty Patricia said:
I didn't realize they were an "interim" boot.  Is the way ahead still a CadPat boot, as trialled by 1VP?  I hope not.  The trend in the US now is a suede boot even in temperate climates.  The US Army and USMC have had tan for a few years with the introduction of their digital camouflage and the USAF has just gone to a green suede boot with their new uniforms.
I hope this is the way for us. I got to try out the USarmy's suede tan boot, (I'm not too sure if it was a desert boot, or just the regular tan boot, or even if there is a difference. The owner of the boots had just gotten back from Iraq a few months prior, they came down for Bison Warrior, or Buffalo soldier or Charging Bison Super Soldier) and after that amazingly long parentheses sentence beast, those boots are waaaay more comfortable than our CWWBs, Mk3s, and from what I've heard, these CWWB look-alike boots.

I haven't heard any rave reviews about the new GP boots, but at least the standard sole looks to be more comfortable and functional. I'm still thankful I bought my own- the day they force me to wear POS issued boots will be the day I release.

Dirty Patricia said:
USAF has just gone to a green suede boot with their new uniforms.

Those aqua marine coloured boots are HIDEOUS and hated by most if not all hands that have to wear them *shudder*

I haven't seen the GP Boot yet... but so far I haven't heard many good reviews about them... weird eh?

TCBF said:
- How 'interim' is the GP Boot?

- I just traded in a pair of my beloved Mk IIIs (my heel wore a hole in the back of the boot) and I find the GP boots do not come in a 7 1/2 - 8C (264/96), but do come in a 265-100.  Oddly enough, the US made insole has a sticker on it listing the three sizes it fits: 265-104, 265-100 and 265-96.

- I find the boots, when flexed, to be tight across the small toes, possibly due to the forward-laced design.  Any other user comments?

During a visit to NDMC Physio last month I was told that, since I am prescribed Vibram soles on my Mk IIIs, I would be issued the the GP boot when my current Mk IIIs wear out.

I think the GP boots may have been "interim" at one time but.... Hey VERN!?!?!

Haggis said:
I think the GP boots may have been "interim" at one time but....
They are still not the Combat Boot replacement.

So far, I don't mind them.  The sole is a bit harder than that of my MkIII with Vibrams, but I find they slip on and off alot easier.  They are fairly comfy.

We have yet to see them out west...one individual on course in WATC received a pair due to fit issues with the MkIIIs.  Said individual AND the staff referred to the GP boots as MkIVs...to me, that means they aren't interim but a true replacment.  I have heard others -including those who work in the supply system- refer to them as MkIVs and even go so far as to say they are filtering in as replacements for the MkIIIs (i.e. if you need new boots and the MkIIIs are unavailable in your size, but the GP is you get the GP).  Can't say how much of that is true though.

I've got a pair as Supply up here doesn't have any of the MkIII in my size. From the little I have used them so far, they are fair, appear to give good support. The soles are much like the CWWB in that they freeze fast and you start walking on pucks on ice. I haven't had the opportunity to really put them to the test yet but will in a week or so. Until then I will as you gentlemen state "stay in my lane".

Petawawa has been issuing them for close to six months. They have been great for daily wear but not so wonderful (a little stiff with a harder toe cap) on the BFT-type marches, ergo I would keep a previous version for those marches. The sizing system makes for a better fit and the insoles are an improvement.

CanadianTire said:
Said individual AND the staff referred to the GP boots as MkIVs...to me, that means they aren't interim but a true replacment. 
They are not Mk IV and they are not the next Combat Boot.  We've been over this before:
MCG said:
Well, the GP boot is not the new combat boot.  It is an interim because we cannot get the old Mk III anymore (nobody makes the sole) and it will stay in the system as the first boot issued to new soldiers.  The GP is cheap so it seems this will be given to new soldiers until they show they can make it through trg.  Combat boots will be issued on first posting to a unit.
MCG said:
Matt_Fisher said:
So are you saying that they'd issue Mk IIIs upon posting?
No.  The next cbt boot does not yet exist.  Therefore, the GP is also the interim combat boot for everyone until the next generation is in the system.

A lot of people have referred to the GP as Mk IV Cbt Boot, but this is not quite the case.  The GP is a cheap first boot and (for now) an interim combat boot.

Seen.  Like I said, this is what the staff were referring to the boot as.  Isn't it possible simply to keep the MkIII but switch to a different type of sole?  Or is that too much paperwork/cost?

I certainly hope they are better than the Mk IIIs. I can't wear MK III's anymore because my back will hurt within 30 minutes. I love my Original Swat black boots.

I managed to get a pair of these from supply before I left for Kandahar, and loved em for the garrison. Haven't had a chance to wander around in a training area for 2 weeks with them yet, but normally when I finish a day of work I need to lie down and let the pain subside from my feet for an hour. These boots didn't cause me any pain at all, and were very comfortable. Only thing is that they're as heavy (weight-wise) as the CWWB, but the upper part of the boot is quite thin for air circulation.

There are desert and black 'Boulet' boots in the supply system - same sizing system. 

Just to add some flavor to the thread....this just out on Defense News....

New British Boots Are Made for Walking
Article Link

The dreaded Ankle-height ammunition (“ammo”) boots with nailed soles were worn by generations of British Army soldiers, and as recently as the 1982 Falklands War, British soldiers were still using puttees – strips of cloth wound round the leg above low boots. The BCH (Boot Combat High) became standard issue a few years after the Falklands war, bringing the UK into line with other NATO forces. Now the bar has been raised again to keep up with developments in other militaries and civilian industry – and lessen the shock of putting on those “hard leather squarebashers,” as Britain’s Ministry of Defence calls them. Colonel Silas Suchanek, leader of the Defence Clothing project team, said:

“We were looking for boots that would minimise the impact of working in temperatures that can go as high as 50 [degrees] centigrade, that would provide support to the foot when carrying heavy loads, and that could withstand the rigours of operating in conditions ranging from sandy desert to very abrasive stony ground.”

Fllowing trials in Autumn 2007 that tested 22 different brands, Britain will offer 4 new kinds of boot: For winter yomping, the Prabos cold wet weather boot has a stiffer sole and is the one generally used for operations. While the Iturri cold wet weather boot has a softer sole and will be more widely used for recruit training. In warmer climes, the Meindl and Lowa heavy-duty desert boots are designed to cope with the desert heat, provide more support, and offer easier “break in” than traditional hard leather footwear. The Lowa boot also has a womens’ model, which avoids the unisex problem of being too wide at the heel. The Meindl combat boot is already being issued to all troops who require it, and the Lowa boots will be available to all combat troops. The UK MOD hasn’t yet built up the same stocks, however, so priority will go to those in the dismounted combat role
More on link

Okay thats it... were officially behind the curve ball now. If the Brit's who've for the most part pretty trashy uniform bobs and bits have got common sense to go OTS and we haven't? There's something terribly terribly wrong there.  :-\

Little do you know that we are not allowed to Buy Off the Shelf. :rage:
As I've been told (correct me someone if I'm wrong) we have to buy "Canadian" therefore Original Swat, Danner etc are not even considered.
Am I correct?

OldSolduer said:
Little do you know that we are not allowed to Buy Off the Shelf. :rage:
As I've been told (correct me someone if I'm wrong) we have to buy "Canadian" therefore Original Swat, Danner etc are not even considered.

Even with a Medical Chit?

AFAIK, the medical personnel can only give you a chit saying "special footwear" or words to that effect, but not specifically "Danners" or what-have-you.  The procurement of special footwear is left to the people in the know of LPO procedures/regulations, namely Sup Techs...but I could be mistaken.

Back