• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Make sure your boots are broken in before you polish them. They will flake for sure around the places that flex when you walk. As for actually taking the old polish off you better use any advice from unknown sources with caution. Just because it worked for them doesn't mean it won't damage your boots. Best of luck to you.

It sounds like to me you need to strip your boots with hot water. Once they are dry, try some leather conditioner. Let that sit.. then start with a good base coat with a blow dryer. After that.. start with the circle polishing game until you get a shine.

I believe that is basically what a boot/shoe repair store would do anyways.

Best of luck,
Mr. Plow

There's tons of info here already on stripping, polishing and caring for your boots.

Milnet.ca Staff

First off, sorry if this topic has been discussed. I did a search and didn't come up with a thread directly about this topic.

I have been using kiwi polish the first day I started wearing combat boots. We can use polish or the paste, it has to do with personal preference in the Regiment. Well actually, it just seems different people think you should use either or. Some members tell me to shine them others say to use the paste.

I like having shiny boots, makes you look better at garrison and on course. I was told that it wrecks the boots, makes them unable to breathe.

Anyone have opinions on this? I want to keep using polish on the boots but I don't want to get screwed up feet in the field.

Thanks.

Kevin_M said:
it has to do with personal preference in the Regiment.

Tell your regiment to read the instructions that come with the new boots and have a good look at what is issued with them.

Kevin_M said:
I like having shiny boots, makes you look better at garrison and on course.

That tells us a lot.

Kevin_M said:
I was told that it wrecks the boots, makes them unable to breathe.

You were told correct.  That is why they issue you the paste.

mkIII's and mkIV's use your kiwi polish

for the wet weathers use the paste to darken them, as mentioned before. I don't know if you know this so just an FYI: don't wear your wet weathers in the winter, the soles freeze. I found that out the hard way.

lennoj said:

for the wet weathers use the paste to darken them, as mentioned before. I don't know if you know this so just an FYI: don't wear your wet weathers in the winter, the soles freeze. I found that out the hard way.

Unless you're on course in Gagetown...then by golly you'll put kiwi polish on your WWB's regardless of whether it ruins them or not. And who gets left explaining to stores why you screwed up your boots....not the staff.

NightSins said:

Oh man the bruises... better off wearing roller skates on a floor made of ball bearings then the wet weathers in winter in my opinion.

For the Boot General Purpose (or whatever they're called) use the paste.

Shiny boots are fine...for a DEU parade. It really is too bad some people can't or won't climb into the 21st century.

Here's my opinion that's usually worth a pinch or two of salt:
Ankle boots for parades, Kiwi polish and clothe with some elbow grease:
Ankle boots for work, Kiwi polish and brushes:
Combat boots,(if they're still around) Kiwi polish and brush shone to remove scuffs and dirt:
WWB Summer, paste;
WWB Winter, paste.
I've had a pair of WWB summer for about a year and they feel like a pair of slippers. Pretty good in the winter too, especially jumping in and out of heavy equipment during snow events and ice.
I'm about to go get my second pair.  I'm a bit old school and still have a pair of Kodiak safety boots, that feel like wearing 10lbs of steel! Oh, and they got Kiwi and brush shone....I usually do my boots about once a month or so, whenever the WO starts looking down.
HeeHee, I'm AF and work in dirt!  Clean safety boots are not priority.      ;)

ARMYboi69(Banned) said:
Matt,
With your technique, you use Cold Water... But Hot Water would heat up the Polish more so it would spread onto the boot more evenly.

What does Cold do differently then Hot?

hot makes the polish thinner and it makes it easier to apply the polish

I have been told that if you start out your parade boots with a few coats of regular polish before putting on parade gloss it will reduce the chipping of the polish off the toe of the boot. I have also been told to score the boot before starting with just parade gloss. I am getting tired of redoing my boots or starting new ones because the polish keeps chipping. Does anyone have any tried and true methods for preventing the chipping off of the toe of these new parade boots, or is it just a result of the finish on these new boots?

I am getting sick of it myself, too.  Almost time to contemplate cheating  :eek:  and buying a pair of closely matched patent leather.

"Crap, we've got to wear our dress boots for this... I hate polishing boots"
"You should try my secret method..."
"What's that?"
"Just not doing it"
".... that's brilliant!"

mloc said:
I have been told that if you start out your parade boots with a few coats of regular polish before putting on parade gloss it will reduce the chipping of the polish off the toe of the boot. I have also been told to score the boot before starting with just parade gloss. I am getting tired of redoing my boots or starting new ones because the polish keeps chipping. Does anyone have any tried and true methods for preventing the chipping off of the toe of these new parade boots, or is it just a result of the finish on these new boots?

Hope this helps you:
Topic: "I need some good tips on how to shine my boots."
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/16692/post-75751.html#msg75751

Topic: "Shoe shine help":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/34957/post-275012.html#msg275012

I like this one  :)
Topic: "I hate Parade boots":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/60391/post-561005.html#msg561005

Back