• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

{you're only supposed to "brush shine" your cbt boots}

Until I get this from my CSM/RSM I think I'll shine them (not DEU shine) in garrison and just blacken them in the field.

George Wallace said:
.......Officers will wear shoes with their DEUs, while the men will wear ankle boots.  Shoes, Low, Black.

GW

Now you have my interest.  I was asked this same question not too long ago concerning officers wearing shoes and men wearing ankle boots with DEU.  It was my understanding that that is where the term "parade boots" came from (ie; you wore them on parade), except for those who were in Petawawa back in the 80's where you wore the Jump/SSF  Boots.  I looked high and low through the Dress Manual (mine is rather out of date) but could not find any reference to officers and shoes and men and boots, other than when it came to Regimental Kit.  Each instance stated "shoes or boots".  So I would assume that this is a local policy at some units.  Besides, I really couldn't see myself pounding pavement in those shoes "ouch!".

I know myself, when I do wear DEU's for other than being on parade, which seems to be quite a bit lately, I always wear the shoes.

I don't know about the shining of the combat boots, i leave that question to my Reg. and PRes comrades who actually wear them everyday.

I came to this post however because i am interested in any helpful little tips about shining Oxfords.  I know how to shine boots and shoes quite well, however is their any "polishing ninja" trick that a new OCdt. should know for Oxfords in particular ?

Do you typically shine the whole shoe to very high gloss or just polish the sectional toe cups ?

I find mine very uncomfortable after awhile, i actually prefer my parade boots!  Is their a better way to break them in, other than just sucking it up for awhile from wearing them?

Thanks your input.  i find this board very helpful,  being the "untrained" officer rank and all.  Thanks.

regards

PV

You shine your oxfords the same as you would your boots. You can slack, SLIGHTLY, on most of the shoe, but the caps and heels will be done to the same standard as your parade boots, highly shone (spit shone).  Hell, I remember polishing the soles when I went through Basic. Live with it, that's the minimum.

Have pride in your uniform and all parts thereof. Polish your shoes as you would your boots. If you don't know how, search for it. It's here.

As a general rule, officers (including WO's) wear shoes, NCO's wear boots, but I doubt anyone will get shit for wearing boots on parade, unless otherwise specified.

I don't think this need anymore discussion.

I actually wrote a little instruction guide for my cadets about how to take care of their uniforms, and it includes a section about polishing parade boots that includes pictures and a kit list. Perhaps you'll find it interesting....

http://www.52aircadets.ca/pdf_files/uniform_guide.pdf

NavyGrunt said:
Hey Ex- do you polish our white oxfords the same way? And do I use that shite polish by kiwi? Mine should be here this week and Im trying to figure out how I polish them

I would like to re-ask this question, with an addition: which is a better polish for the white oxfords: 'white' or 'neutral'?  As far as I can tell, Kiwi brand white (the only brand of white I know) is rather new while neutral has been around a while.

dont use oil what you can use is shoe cream :tank: :sniper: :rocket:

Just keep polishing it like you would normally, it should be fine. It just might need some more coats of polish. Do not put oil on it!!

your boot could have cancer. if you can't fix it than i would suggest try running them under warm water for  like 30 seconds. take the boot out and wipe it with toilet paper. this will get all the old polish off. it will not completely strip it. when that is done a half hour of solid work on each boot will get them back to normal. i have done thins a couple of times.

IT dpends on what kind of cloth that you have some times it can get little pils on it and that can grian your boot  if soo than shaveyour cloth  and if your polish is dry then melt it and then use it or if you can't do that that then if you have lip glos then then put a tiny litlle bit of that on your boot and then rub the polish in then after that buf with your rag.

I had a pair of Mk. IIIs that did that even with just brush polish. Washing them off with a sponge, applying some leather protector and then starting over with the polish solved the problem.

I know this post is old but I would like to add my 2 cents.  As a cook I had to wear parade boots in the kitchen everyday.  I always had trouble with parade boots until after 10 years I found out what worked for me.  Get a new kewe cloth and a small can of polish.  As soon as you open it put a penny in the middle of it (helps from cracking).  Spend 30 mins. on each boot each night and use small amounts of polish and apply in small circles in the same direction.  Each time you apply a new coat of polish dip the cloth into water and  not the old "spit and polish" trick since the acids in your body will bread down the boot.  If you do seem to loose the shine or the boot gets crumbly looking then apply a thick coat of polish, then burn the polish into the boot (if underage get an adults help) and once you have the polish melted apply a thin coat of polish.  Make sure you use a good polish and cloth and replace them often.  I also put on some clearcoat once a week, but I did that often since I worked in a kitchen.  I was in cadets a few years ago (don't ask how long ago though!!) and on Friday nights we used to bring in our boots and have a shine parade or pratice our band music.  Good luck and don't pantic. 

Ive noticed that when I shine my boots I can only shine them so much then I have to leave them for about an hour or so and then go back to them ot they just get dull and plus a second pair of boots wouldn't hurt make them both look good that way if one pair gets all messed you have a spare pair to wear until you fix them.

mcpl_spunky said:
IT dpends on what kind of cloth that you have some times it can get little pils on it and that can grian your boot   if soo than shaveyour cloth   and if your polish is dry then melt it and then use it or if you can't do that that then if you have lip glos then then put a tiny litlle bit of that on your boot and then rub the polish in then after that buf with your rag.
Lip Gloss?!?!?!?! I've had the worst expierence ever with that stuff and my boots but don't worry unless your a complete idiot like I was 2 years ago you won't even think of doing what I did.

Hello,

I have a shoe shine problem.  I had my oxfords very nicely shined, I wore them out the other night, and when I got home I found, to my horror, that my beautiful black mirrors have large flaked off splotches where it is down to the bare leather.  What I had done was five coats of brush shine for a base, followed by hours and hours of spit-shining.  You could literally count your teeth in these things.  They are very well broken in, so I don't think that is the problem.  What can I do in the future to keep this from happening? and what do I do with the patches of shine that are left?

Thanks

Planes

I_Drive_Planes said:
Hello,

I have a shoe shine problem.   I had my oxfords very nicely shined, I wore them out the other night, and when I got home I found, to my horror, that my beautiful black mirrors have large flaked off splotches where it is down to the bare leather.   What I had done was five coats of brush shine for a base, followed by hours and hours of spit-shining.   You could literally count your teeth in these things.   They are very well broken in, so I don't think that is the problem.   What can I do in the future to keep this from happening? and what do I do with the patches of shine that are left?

Thanks

Planes

Completely Strip them, and then build them back up again. As to why this happened, bad polish, polish didn't adhere properly, dried out... Could be any number of reasons.  Maybe you could try using some saddle soap or mink oil once in a while to keep the polish/leather from drying out.

I've had the same thing happen to my oxfords on one or two occasions. I just applied another semi-thick brush coat then shined 'em up a couple times and they turned out fine. I'd suggest you try that first before you completely strip them.

Cheers,
Pinky

Thanks for the help, I'll buy a new tin of kiwi and get to work on them.  What is the best way to strip them?

Thanks again,

Planes

I'm not going to run the search for you and provide the links. I guess I'm just lazier than some. This subject has been covered by pages and pages of info. You'll be able to reshine your shoes to the chicklet reflecting objects faster than you'll be able to read the info if you bother to search.

is there any secret tips for polishing your parade boots? :-\ ???

Back