• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boeing to shut down C-17 production

..... as well as on-going negotiations with Qatar.  Not sure but I believe they have signed an memo of understanding and/or intention.

Seems like the Production line of C-17's is going to be a shiny spot for Boeing for quite some time. Wonder if they will do a Stretched version?

Give your head a shake and ask why the F@#$ would they make a stretched version?

Okay I gave my head a shake and still wonder if a stretched version is possible and saleable?

I don't think it would be. They are expensive and what would you gain by stretching it. All you are adding is more weight to an aircraft and decreasing its payload. Just for a few extra inches of space that no one would really use.
The ER range C-17s are a perfect example of that.

If you want so0mething with a greater capacity than the C17, then an Antonov or a C5 Galaxy are the practical alternatives.

geo said:
If you want so0mething with a greater capacity than the C17, then an Antonov or a C5 Galaxy are the practical alternatives.

As much as I respect the Antonov's capacity, buying Russian planes is not a sound move, strategically thinking. Relationships are not exactly waxing at the moment.

As for C5s, they can't go tactical like C17s...

geo said:

Thats like using a watermelon to do the job of an orange.

::)

TimBit said:
As much as I respect the Antonov's capacity, buying Russian planes is not a sound move, strategically thinking. Relationships are not exactly waxing at the moment.

As for C5s, they can't go tactical like C17s...

Not all our Lift has to be able to go tactical. 

My understanding is that there is no production of the C5 and the fleet is getting old, I seem to recall a wing upgrade a few years ago.

Colin P said:
I seem to recall a wing upgrade a few years ago.

And the current upgrade to C-5M that is starting to be delivered.

CDN Aviator said:
Thats like using a watermelon to do the job of an orange.
Not arguing that - there is a job for the C17s and there is a job for the C5s.
And, if you need something as big as C5 to deliver your goods... it isn,t tactical & it's probably more like a watermelon

CDN Aviator said:
And the current upgrade to C-5M that is starting to be delivered.

Thanks I did not know about that upgrade, so all of the B &C models will get the full upgrade and the A models the avionc package only. That gives them approx 126 aircraft.

I don't think this update has been posted here before:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,190875,00.html

Senators Push Panel For 15 More C-17s
Aviation Week's DTI | John M. Doyle | May 13, 2009
This article first appeared in Aerospace Daily & Defense Report.

Nineteen U.S. senators are urging the Senate Appropriations Committee to include money for more C-17 cargo lifters when it considers the emergency wartime supplemental spending bill for fiscal 2009.

The 30-member committee is slated to take up the $85.3 billion measure to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the swine flu outbreak on May 14.

A letter, written by Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Christopher "Kit" Bond (R-Mo.), calls on Senate appropriators to include enough money to procure an additional 15 C-17s. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said he wants to halt C-17 acquisitions at 205 aircraft, either in production or currently flying. Gates also included money for an orderly shutdown of the C-17 line in the fiscal 2010 defense budget request.

The C-17 is assembled at a Boeing plant in Long Beach, Calif., in Boxer’s home state. Bond, a member of the appropriations panel, represents another state with a large Boeing presence.

Boeing advocates in Congress, who have managed to stave off previous attempts to halt production, note that plants in 43 states employing 30,000 people have a part in C-17 production.

Last week the House Appropriations Committee included $3.1 billion for eight C-17s and 11 C-130 cargo aircraft in its $94.3 billion version of the supplemental war spending bill.

In their letter, the senators note that there will be greater need for cargo and transport as the military increases operations in Afghanistan, the Army and Marine Corps increase their end strength and the new Germany-based Africa Command increases its activities.

Photo: Boeing

Back