• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Body building and the Canadian forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
JM2345 said:
Your question:

Your answer from an Infantry Officer :

Your reply, completely disregarding his answer:

So hopefully that answers this question:

You wanted to know if it was possible, he said yes it is possible, but he also went a step further to let you know that you are going to lose that muscle as an Infantry Officer, because the super low body fat with extra unnecessary muscle body type does not lend itself well to soldiering. You just assumed he didn't even look at the pictures, so you disregarded his advice on that assumption. Everything that Eye In The Sky said, which you applauded for being "how you answer a question" was insinuated by RoyalDrew in his original reply.

There really didn't NEED to be anything more than what RoyalDrew said.

"Is it possible?"
"Yes, it is possible. Anything is possible. But the body type is not ideal for a CF Infantry Officer, and you WILL lose the gains at some point."

OF COURSE you will have access to proper food. An infantry officer has access to a grocery store just like anyone else.
OF COURSE you will have access to a gym. Most (all?) CF Bases have gyms, and you can get a gym membership somewhere else just like anyone else.
OF COURSE you will have personal time to workout/train. The CF doesn't normally need their employees to work 16 hour days, every day.

What if there was an emergency deployment or exercise you needed to go on, and you were at your peak bodybuilding physique, with all of that extra muscle packed on and an incredibly low body fat, especially in the core area? Do you think that would be ideal for the CF and you would perform your duties to the best of your ability? Highly unlikely, because, as RoyalDrew (an Infantry Officer) pointed out, a bodybuilder physique does not lend itself well to soldiering.

The Canadian Forces spends a lot of money trying to keep everyone ready to perform at their best abilities when the poop hits the fan. A body builder physique, whether natural or juiced up, isn't likely to get you to perform your best. I am just going around in circles repeating myself and what others have already said, but just from someone who has NO interest in Infantry, and NO interest in body building, I felt reading this thread that your reply to RoyalDrew was a slap in his face basically telling him "I am ignoring your advice, because I don't think you even looked at the pictures."

Respect to RoyalDrew for not tearing you a new asshole, and actually coming back to give you more advice. [This next part made me wish I could cyber-kick you in the 'nads] I can tell that me, and a few of the other guys in here, would have chewed you out for days from that reply.   [:facepalm: STFU.  Seriously.] I hope if the Canadian Forces recruits me, they can teach me some of the discipline to remain calm when dealing with responses like that.

SUM UP!  You don't even have a *I PASSED BMQ* T shirt yet ffs.  How (or why) the fuck do you have anything to say in this thread?

::)

JM2345 said:
There really didn't NEED to be anything more than what RoyalDrew said.

Despite that you still felt compelled to :blah:.

Eye In The Sky said:
SUM UP!  You don't even have a *I PASSED BMQ* T shirt yet ffs.  How (or why) the frig do you have anything to say in this thread?

::)

Despite that you still felt compelled to :blah:.

:ditto:

Sigh.... I'll bet that felt good!!!!

:salute:

Crantor said:
I've known two CF members who have competed or compete.  One was a male infantry Sgt and the other is a female MCpl RMS type who has won a few national level competions.  The former was posted as RSS to a reserve unit when I've known him to compete and the latter is/was posted to a unit where PT is not only encouraged it is demanded.  Both required time, effort and dedication and their individual situation allowed them to prepare and compete.

This may not always be the case.

Their are a few.  I know an OC in the 3rd Bn that used to compete as well; however, he only ever competed while he was on his ERE away from a first-line unit.  At the Bn, if you are employed in any position other then a subbie marking time you will not have the time for it.  It depends on the individuals circumstances  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
SUM UP!  You don't even have a *I PASSED BMQ* T shirt yet ffs.  How (or why) the frig do you have anything to say in this thread?

Because I am a member of this website, and I have access to this thread, and I read the response from him, and felt it was very inappropriate. This thread was created by someone who also hasn't passed BMQ, so me and him have the same level of experience in the Canadian Forces. Yes, I did feel compelled to add more information, just like you did. Did you really NEED to post what you did? No, you did it because you wanted to.

He asked a question, I felt I was qualified to answer it. The question had nothing to do with Canadian Forces, but rather with his ability to comprehend what he wrote in this thread. If someone asks how to wipe their ass, I don't think I need to be a member of the Canadian Forces to answer that. If I am wrong and you guys have been taught to do that differently, well than I am sure someone will be happy to correct me, and any harm done will be quite minimal.

There are way too many people on the site lately that can't seem to take the very slightest of criticism without getting sand in their ovaries and whining about all kinds of manginal irritation.

JM2345 said:
He asked a question, I felt I was qualified to answer it. The question had nothing to do with Canadian Forces, but rather with his ability to comprehend what he wrote in this thread. If someone asks how to wipe their ***, I don't think I need to be a member of the Canadian Forces to answer that.

Sandtraps. That's all I will say... ;D

OK, folks, I believe the "anything's possible, but count on nothing being guaranteed when you have other mission-critical work to do" message to the OP has been confirmed.

Let's lock 'er up for now, shall we?

Milnet.ca Staff

How big can you get (in the CAF)?

Most bodybuilders I know (huge men, 260lbs.+ at the minimum), aren't the best runners, nor even the strongest fighters. I know Muay Thai fanatics that are stronger and fitter than my gym rat brethren, and that's all completely okay - to each their own.

We've all seen at least a few big men in the Canadian Armed Forces, but how hard is it to maintain? Because, even though this debate has been going on for ages, it's commonly accepted that endurance, strength and muscle mass are mutually exclusive things. You can't be Mr. Olympia AND the next Usain Bolt.

What are your thoughts on this? Can you weight lift in the army? If you want to be big, can you still be fit?

What I'd most appreciate is feedback from people that know about these things first hand.

Kayd said:
What I'd most appreciate is feedback from people that know about these things first hand.

Some here. ( 2013 )

Body building and the Canadian forces 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/111337.0

As has been said before, a bodybuilding physique is not ideal for military life. Lifting is all well and good but if you want to look like Phil Heath or Jay Cutler, forget about it.  A bodybuilder in competition is at his weakest due to his low body fat and the fact he's basically dehydrated (not to mention the special diet that the military will not provide) You won't be very useful in the field in that situation. In garrison you might be able to make good size gains (work commitments depending) but you'll likely lose it when you go on ex.

My advice: forget about being a bodybuilder in the Army.

AgentSmith said:
As has been said before, a bodybuilding physique is not ideal for military life. Lifting is all well and good but if you want to look like Phil Heath or Jay Cutler, forget about it.  A bodybuilder in competition is at his weakest due to his low body fat and the fact he's basically dehydrated (not to mention the special diet that the military will not provide) You won't be very useful in the field in that situation. In garrison you might be able to make good size gains (work commitments depending) but you'll likely lose it when you go on ex.

My advice: forget about being a bodybuilder in the Army.

That and the steroid use that tends to be inherent in the sport doesn't tend to make it terribly compatible with the military lifestyle. If you were gonna try to do it regardless of these road blocks you'd probably be best off in a trade that spends minimal amounts of time in the field.

Wot he said.

Let me put it to you simply. On my last summer tour of the sandpit, the majority of guys I saw stretchered off the battlefield due to dehydration/heat exhaustion were also fanatically weightlifting/using supplements in their down time. The ones who kept on trucking in the 60 degree heat with 80lbs of kit were the skinny smokers and runners.

Take that as you will.

I've seen some 500 series techs, clerks, etc who were able to keep a decent size going while base-side.  Much field or sea time and forget it.

If you are thinking hard-army trade, you'll be fit enough (probably) but not necessarily able to keep size on and shred it up any.

If you are Navy, 10 o'clock soup will work against you.  If you are at a RCAF Sqn, BMS will do the same.  ;D

:2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
I've seen some 500 series techs, clerks, etc who were able to keep a decent size going while base-side.  Much field or sea time and forget it.

If you are thinking hard-army trade, you'll be fit enough (probably) but not necessarily able to keep size on and shred it up any.

If you are Navy, 10 o'clock soup will work against you.  If you are at a RCAF Sqn, BMS will do the same.  ;D

:2c:

I get '10 o'clock soup' (as unappealling as soup would be at that time in the morning), but what on earth is BMS?

Before Matron Sees?

Biscuits Minus Sugar?

Bottomless Mint Sauce?

Bison Meat Sausages?

Bacon Mitt Schnitzel (holdover from the germany days?)

Thanks in advance,

Still-perplexed-in-Ottawa

Between Meal Snack/Supplement.  The odds and sods (cookies, etc) that are usually in the coffee room at a Sqn and (for us, in the galley) on the aircraft.

Kind of like the BMB (Between Meal Beverage) we used to be able to get with a FMR and could/would come with trays of stuff to go with the coffee or whatever else came for the BMB.

Towards_the_gap said:
Wot he said.

Let me put it to you simply. On my last summer tour of the sandpit, the majority of guys I saw stretchered off the battlefield due to dehydration/heat exhaustion were also fanatically weightlifting/using supplements in their down time. The ones who kept on trucking in the 60 degree heat with 80lbs of kit were the skinny smokers and runners.

Take that as you will.

I've managed to get in some pretty decent shape while on tour, but never particularly big just lean and toned.

Eye In The Sky said:
Between Meal Snack/Supplement.  The odds and sods (cookies, etc) that are usually in the coffee room at a Sqn and (for us, in the galley) on the aircraft.

Kind of like the BMB (Between Meal Beverage) we used to be able to get with a FMR and could/would come with trays of stuff to go with the coffee or whatever else came for the BMB.

:facepalm:

Thanks. Been a while since I've seen an FMR.

In my unit and Wing for that matter, there are plenty of guys who do the regular gym/weight room stuff. Hell a close buddy of mine had the time to compete in a show, so yes within certain trades it is possible to achieve a close resemblance to a bodybuilder. Will you have the time to train, eat and give all your focus to bodybuilding like the pro's? No. I can only think of maybe one or two positions within our unit where you MIGHT have the opportunity to make some serious gains. This is assuming you aren't deployed anywhere on exercise, which is unlikely. Then when you do deploy, you worry about eating correctly while on Full per diem or foreign mess food, hoping your shacks or hotel (for us Air Force type) is close to a gym and brining enough supplements for your routine. To make serious, natural gains, takes years of dedication and correct nutrition. I've seen a few seriously big dudes lumbering around the weight room who could compete in a show with enough dedication. I don't know what a daily schedule is like in the Army (i'd imagine it involves lots of random jackings and yelling  ;D ) so it's hard to tell you a yes or no. In the Air Force if you are in the right squadron that doesn't deploy you for half a year, you probably would have enough time to eat during the day and hit the weight room after/before work.

There are tones of variables and pieces that have to fall into place for you to "get swole" in the CAF. Best thing you can do is try to eat enough food and get to the weight room 5-6 times a week. Don't forget plenty of rest.

Towards_the_gap said:
:facepalm:

Thanks. Been a while since I've seen an FMR.

I'm not even sure they exist anymore.  Someone might have renamed it to get that "Leading Change" thing off "Developing".  8) 

Bodybuilders are glass cannons. My nephew just won a lightweight contest last weekend. Though he is a monster I had to help my brother move in all his new weightlifting equipment as he is so prone to joint injuries around contest time.

Does anyone remember that testing the Health Services group did many years ago that eventually turned into the BFT? The one where the chubby soldiers had significantly more endurance than the cardio or bodybuilding addicts and the results were binned because you chubby f#$%s don't need an excuse to eat more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back