• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ & SQ in the summer

carl

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently applied to join the communication reserves as a sigop. If I pass the tests end everything I should go through BMQ during the summer. My question is; I've been told that BMQ would be from July to August so when do I do my SQ? Do I need to wait for the next summer? Because I will probably start my first year of college right after.
Would it be better if I waited a year before starting college and get through all my training (BMQ,SQ and my MOC) over with as fast as possible during that year (can I even do that in the comm res?).
I've also been told that I have to be in for about 1 year before they help me pay for my education so that would probably let me make more money and have to spend less for the first year.

The summer course is your BMQ (about 20 days), as well as your SQ (another 20 or so days).  Generally, you'll have to wait until next summer to do furthur trades training.

By the by,

Did the recruiting officer say you would be doing the summer training?  The reason I ask is that it's getting pretty late and there are very few positions available, so you might have to wait until next summer anyway (or weekends if you've the time).

Good luck to you.

They didint say, I probably wont get the chance to do it this year but you never know. Everyone I've talked to so far (including the recruiter at the unit) has told me that there is only summer training for the comm res.
You say its 20 days for BMQ and another for SQ? I thought it was 40 for each. Are they done at the same time?

If you're joining the comm-res, they'll send you to the school in Shilo to do your training, BMQ and SQ back to back.

Don't cancel your college plans. Your first summer will be spent doing bmq/sq in Shilo. The likelihood of you getting on your QL3 trades training before the following summer is slim to none.

I regularly hear promises of people doing their BMQ/SQ/QL3 in one summer, have yet to see it happen.

Not impossible, I mean if you time it right, sure, I just haven't seen it yet.

As for the length and area issue,

"The first stage of training for all members of the Communication Reserve is a 4-week Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course. This course is conducted full-time during the summer at the Communication Reserve School in Shilo Manitoba." - http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=1149

The 20 days, didn't incule weekends.

Upon completion of that, your SQ will also be in Shilo, for the same amount of time.  As Just a sig op and Andy said, they'll be back to back.

Back