• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Regular Force 2005 - 2017 [Merged]

kavick71 said:
It's been a rough start to the day guys. Flight was cancelled due to snow storm. All flights out of my city are cancelled until Sunday night. After a lot of calling around, I got permission to switch my flight to Calgary, but am now racing a check in time deadline through a snowstorm. Only 2.5 more hours of driving!

Wish me luck!

Rough start indeed. Good luck and hope we still get to see you there! One of my flights was delayed but everything else so far so good.

On route to Montreal now getting seated in the plane. Safe travels everyone!

This day is getting worse and worse. This makes my third cancelled flight, leaving me stuck in Toronto until the morning. i suppose I will see you all (hopefully) in the am!

Less than one month away from BMQ Departure/Start Date.  I'm curious, how's everyone spending these last few weeks before hand?

HoradricBacon said:
Less than one month away from BMQ Departure/Start Date.  I'm curious, how's everyone spending these last few weeks before hand?

Myself, I am getting ready for this big change by :

-Sorting and packing / Tying loose administrative ends up.
-Ramping up (somewhat, not so much that I injure myself) my PT
-Working so I can save up some extra money, plus I really am going to miss my old job and the great co-workers so it's been nice to hang with them these past days/weeks. 
-Appreciating time with family and friends
-Giving away things I just don't need any more, and preparing everything I do want to keep for storage. 

I was getting someone nervous, but I realized everyone does, and I read someone's advice was to : 'just enjoy these last weeks', so I am doing just that. 

Anyone else?

I'm curious; would there be any benefit in adjusting your hours to be sleeping by 11 and wake up at 5am in the weeks leading up to basic, or would that just start tiring you needlessly before?

BorisK said:

-Working so I can save up some extra money, plus I really am going to miss my old job and the great co-workers so it's been nice to hang with them these past days/weeks. 
-Giving away things I just don't need any more, and preparing everything I do want to keep for storage. 

I was getting someone nervous, but I realized everyone does, and I read someone's advice was to : 'just enjoy these last weeks', so I am doing just that. 

Anyone else?

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I finally finished up my shopping today for BMQ. All I have to do is figure out what I want to pack all of my things in and wait for my Enrolment Ceremony. I just handed in my 2 weeks notice at work, I know how you feel when you leave a workplace full of friends. Hopefully I'll see you there some time!

Cryco; I plan on doing that two weeks before leaving, there's no way it wouldn't help prepare yourself. If anything you'll be in the schedule by the time you get there which is awesome, another recruit told me he usually wakes up at 4:30 AM.

if that's the case, go to sleep before 'light's out', get your 7.5 hours of sleep (or whatever is your sweet spot), since sleep debt is cumulative, and you don't want to start basic with a deficit :)

cryco said:
if that's the case, go to sleep before 'light's out', get your 7.5 hours of sleep (or whatever is your sweet spot), since sleep debt is cumulative, and you don't want to start basic with a deficit :)

Agreed.  I've learned that from years of wild hours at my current job doing shift work.  In my opinion, just get your rest now while you can.  BMQ will already be a shock to our systems, so sleep might as well just add sleep to the list of shocking changes.  Plus, again, as said above - better to start rested than it is strung out.  :)

medeiros87 said:
I'm taking a train from kingston on January 24th. Enrolled as a vehicle tech.

I am also taking the train on the 24th what time do you leave I get my ticket tomorrow.

cryco said:

I have been told that you cannot go to bed before lights out also that there is too much work to do at night to be able to go to bed early. 

Personally I will be starting to follow the sleep schedule this week.  I workout in the mornings anyways so I will just be starting earlier now.

BorisK said:

Anyone else?

I'm doing the same. I'm working until the 12th, trying to spend as much time with my coworkers as possible. I still have to buy a few things and pack of course. Spending time with my family and friends, trying to finish reading the few books I haven't read yet. Need to get out and do some more PT, and also wondering if I should pack a spare jacket for the rare off weekend? We're starting in winter and ending in spring, so I wasn't sure if I should bring one or not. We don't get spring here. We wear winter's coats from October til nearly June, and I didn't know if it was worth taking up the extra space in my luggage. Something to think about I guess. And can someone clarify what "casual dress pants" are? Because I don't think I own a pair. I have dress pants, and then I have jeans, and skinny leg pants that are not jeans. As for blouses, don't own many of those either.

Hobbit4190 said:
I'm doing the same. I'm working until the 12th, trying to spend as much time with my coworkers as possible. I still have to buy a few things and pack of course. Spending time with my family and friends, trying to finish reading the few books I haven't read yet. Need to get out and do some more PT, and also wondering if I should pack a spare jacket for the rare off weekend? We're starting in winter and ending in spring, so I wasn't sure if I should bring one or not. We don't get spring here. We wear winter's coats from October til nearly June, and I didn't know if it was worth taking up the extra space in my luggage. Something to think about I guess. And can someone clarify what "casual dress pants" are? Because I don't think I own a pair. I have dress pants, and then I have jeans, and skinny leg pants that are not jeans. As for blouses, don't own many of those either.

I'm wearing and bringing some Khakis, couple tanned ones and dark grey ones. As long as you're not wearing jeans I think you'll be ok.

Hobbit4190 said:

Well for women (because you said blouses) I'm bringing dress pants I may look to see if Walmart has some nice pants that are not as dressy.  As for blouses I imagine we don't need more then 2 I don't have the JI's handy but I'm pretty sure the amount we need to bring is listed. 

Hey guys and gals! I swear in on the 20th in Halifax and will see you there on the 24th! RMS Clerk Navy :) Busy getting my kit list together and spending time with my family and getting in the last good workouts I can. Super nervous but excited. Anyone else leaving from Halifax?

Is there anyone starting Basic February 23, 2015?
Would love to get in touch with some people starting the same time as me!

Thanks and good luck!

tomgoetz said:
Jeans were fine when I was there. Just can't have holes.
Did most ppl wear jeans? Girls and guys? How long was it before you got your issued Kit?

Moore said:
I'm wearing and bringing some Khakis, couple tanned ones and dark grey ones. As long as you're not wearing jeans I think you'll be ok.
Thanks! I don't own any khakis or anything of the sort, just skinny legged pants. I'll have to invest in something similar to khakis I suppose!

Back