• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ @ NRTD Borden

I knew they were starting in the next few weeks, but I just confirmed the NRTD BMQ dates:

- Two French platoons start 21 June 09, and
- Four English platoons start 28 June 09.

The next two serials would not be until the middle of September, and then another two serials starting in early January 2010. That's the normal course schedual for NRTD/CLFRS Borden.

Thank you for your prompt responces (sp?) to my inquiry.  I have a few more questions that you might be able to answer.
-What is the general rate of males to females at NRTD BMQ?
-Are the first 4 weeks CB'ed? Meaning confined to base or confined to barracks? This is not so relevant in St-Jean but more so in Borden.
-How are the sexes divided in the shacks? Seperate washplaces and heads, laundry facilities, and sleeping quarters?

Thanks again.  Sea King Tech.

The ratio varies with every course.  Yes recruits are CB'd the first 4 weeks and yes the genders are divided in the barracks.

I am at CFNES det. St John's and do my BMQ in Borden from Sept 14th 2009 to Dec 17th 2009.

Roger that, so most personell doing BMQ @NRTD Borden are in the Navy, but not specifically in the reserves?  Do you know of how many people are in the same "boat" as it were?
BTW, I am assuming because you are in the program at St. Johns that you are reg-force stoker?  Do you happen to know where I can get my eyes on a course loading message and kit list?  Don't PM it to me because it will violate Protected B status, just point it out on the DIN and I will dig for it on Monday.  I cannot find it on the spynet.    I repeat, post no personal data here nor PM it.  Thanks,

Sea King Tech.

Most of the year round staff are tri-service and are split between Reg and Res. The spring and summer BMQ serials are primarily Naval Reseve recruits. Though when there are empty positions, members in PAT platoon waiting to rejoin a BMQ course are loaded on anytime.

Sea King Tech said:
Roger that, so most personell doing BMQ @NRTD Borden are in the Navy, but not specifically in the reserves?  Do you know of how many people are in the same "boat" as it were?
BTW, I am assuming because you are in the program at St. Johns that you are reg-force stoker?  Do you happen to know where I can get my eyes on a course loading message and kit list?  Don't PM it to me because it will violate Protected B status, just point it out on the DIN and I will dig for it on Monday.  I cannot find it on the spynet.    I repeat, post no personal data here nor PM it.  Thanks,

Sea King Tech.

The KIT LIST is not a PROTECTED B Item.

Excerpt from the NRTD Borden Joining Instructions:

It is advisable to bring the following personal
items with you, at the exception of those marked
with a NOTE. Your instructors will give you the
additional directions required to enable you to
make these purchases if necessary:
a. razor and blades or disposable razors;
b. shaving cream;
c. toothbrush with case;
d. toothpaste;
e. shampoo;
f. laundry soap (regular size) (Note 1);
g. starch for shirts (e.g. Glide)(Note 1);
h. underwear – min five (5) pairs (same
style);
i. shoe shine kit to include (Note 1);
Kiwi
cloth x 2,
Black
Kiwi shoe polish,
Boot
brush x 2 (soft and stiff),
Case
or bag for shoe shine kit,
j. lint brush or roller (Note 1);
k. combination padlock x 3;
l. dozen plastic hangars (same colour) (Note
1);
m. thread (black, white, khaki, blue and green)
and needles (in a kit, e.g. plastic container);
n. shower sandals;
o. running shoes (nonmarking
soles) (Note
2);
p. black safety band for eye glasses (Note 3);
q. bathing suit (no Speedo type suits);
r. picture frame 5 x 7 (optional);
s. sports gear (Note 4);
t. 3 x pairs white gym socks;
u. Iron (optional); and
v. Towel and facecloth.
Note 1: Items readily available for purchase at
the CANEX Retail Store.
Note 2: Recommended that good quality
running shoes be brought due to the high level
of physical activity.
Note 3: Personnel that wear glasses must bring
at a least one black band.
Note 4: Gym shorts or gym pants sober in
colour; sleeveless tshirt
or tank tops will not
be tolerated. Gear must not have images or
text that could be deemed offensive or
discriminatory.

NRTD BORDEN JOINING INSTRUCTIONS APRIL 2008

Sea King Tech said:
Donno how many on here but I know myself and a few people from out here will be there.

Sea King Tech said:

What about the air reserves? Can they be loaded on the Borden courses in lieu of SJ as well?

For the separation of males and females in the barracks, when I went through in 2007 it was a wing of the building for your platoon, 4 people to a room. The hall had a mix of male and female room. Females had the bathroom in one platoon's wing and the males in the other platoons wing. IE Two platoons on a floor, one platoon had the female washspaces and one platoon had the male washplaces. Laundry facilities were mixed. 3 washers and 3 dryers for the ~55 person platoon (so combine your laundry with other people).

and Celticgirl when I went through there were 2 air reserves in the other french platoon and I remember seeing at least 5 air force berets walking around the english barracks, can't be positive they were reserves but I can't see why they wouldn't be either.

Hello again,  Thanks to all for the invaluable information.  Knowledge is power.

-Is the building a standard H-hut? 
-So a female would have to go through a male area to go to the heads?  I do not quite understand.
- And, are they strict about males being on female areas of the shacks and vise versa?  I am assuming you have to do the milspec "Male/female on the floor!" yell.
-Do you have to come to attention when entering the NRTD building? A la HMC Ships?  Such as HMCS Scotian.

Sea King Tech said:
- And, are they strict about males being on female areas of the shacks and vise versa?  I am assuming you have to do the milspec "Male/female on the floor!" yell.

I've been in co-ed shacks and never had to say that.

Well I'm headed to Borden from Victoria for the course on the 28th. Should be an interesting experience. Who else will I see there?

Back