• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
old medic knows of what he speaks. The question has been answered, with the appropriate references.

I saw the lenghty, but very interesting BMQ video. THe blood test part they show really caught my eye, what do they do that for? Anyways, thansk again for any info.Cheers!

Hmmmm.  I guess you will find that out when you get there.  Good Luck.

Hey guys,

I am currently waiting to put in my application for the reserves because I have a few months until I am 16. I just had one quick question. I know that there will be no vaccinations until BMQ. I have not had any vaccinations since the fifth grade due to a fear of needles. I was wondering if you can pick the spot where they inject you/ draw blood because I have a great fear of needles in the upper arm. :crybaby: I know this sounds like a really stupid question but please let me know! Thanks Guys! :salute:

They will stick it to you where they need to..............

I dont like needles either but suck it up  ::)

its either your arm or your arse (in some cases) you pick...

Ha ha OK I will and thanks for the advice. Do you get all the shots in a row or do they break it up in days or something?

Your going into the reserve. You will not have a needle parade unless your going on operational deployment.
You, and your local health unit are still responsible for your vaccinations. 

If you were going into the regular forces, then you would attending needle parades at BMQ.

old medic said:
Your going into the reserve. You will not have a needle parade unless your going on operational deployment.

If you were going into the regular forces, then you would attending needle parades at BMQ.

I got a whole bunch of shots over my summer SQ/DP1 course. Getting a bunch more tomorrow before going on an ex way up north. The ex isn't part of pre-training, and I'm a reservist, so I find myself somewhat at odds with what you've said.

Pte D. Krystal said:
I got a whole bunch of shots over my summer SQ/DP1 course. Getting a bunch more tomorrow before going on an ex way up north. The ex isn't part of pre-training, and I'm a reservist, so I find myself somewhat at odds with what you've said.

Where were you, and how long were you on class B when this happened?
You can read more on the subject here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17989.0.html

and you can get an earlier opinion here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17989/post-88231.html#msg88231

Was there some curcumstance that lead to you getting a needle? An injury, cut or puncture while there?
Did the whole course get the same?

Medical Directive 01/97 dated 09 April 1997, paragraph 28 confirms what's been said here.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/surggen_med_directives/PDF/med_dir_1_97.pdf

If your going "up north" as in an isolated duty area, then your being immunized for that reason. ie. limited
assess to health care facilities as outlined in CFAO 34-14.

<edit: fixed a sentance.>

old medic said:
Where were you, and how long were you on class B when this happened?
Was there some curcumstance that lead to you getting a needle? An injury, cut or puncture while there?
Did the whole course get the same?

If your going "up north" as in an isolated duty area, then your being immunized for that reason. ie. limited
assess to health care facilities as outlined in CFAO 34-14.

It was about 2 months of class B over the summer, and it wasn't due to injury. Not only did everyone on course get them, but all the recruits there on SQ/DP1 got the same...all 600 of them, about. Two visits to the medics for three and four shots, respectively.

As for the isolated duty area, that makes sense, getting sick up there would be pretty bad. Ex Polar Strike I is supposed to be pretty far from anywhere.

old medic said:

In regards to the BMQ needle parade. Working with BC Ambulance I am required to up to date with various vaccinations, I just got a series of boosters last week. I am current with all others for quite some time yet. I really dont care if the CF has to redo mine, but is there some official documentation..let's say from the health unit I can provide at my BMQ showing that I am up to date? I have no needle book.

Ryan

OM, for the past two summers we've been running needle parades for all pers at the Chilliwack STC who are completing both BMQ and SQ (i.e. will be there for long enough to get the both Hep A and the 1st two Hep B shots). They also got MMR, TD, PPD if indicated,

I can't remember exactly when the direction came in, but I seem to recall spring of 2004 there being a directive on this.  It was a bit of a headache, tracking down peoples history, but I have to say I agree with it as a force protection measure.  

Safeboy (Edit: Sorry Pte Krystal,) we try to accommodate peoples phobias, and there will a semi-private area.  If there's an RN there, talk to him or her about it.  

Ryan, call the health unit you got your shots at, they should be able to provide you with the documentation.  Bring it with you to BMQ.  You may still get some from the CF, but you won't need all of them.

DF

ParaMedTech said:
Pte Krystal, we try to accommodate peoples phobias, and there will a semi-private area.  If there's an RN there, talk to him or her about it.  

Heh...I never said I was scared of needles...whenever I need to go for shots I just think about our last FIBUA training ex with the simmunition rounds. ;D

paint balls & / or simmunitions in winter.....
defenitively makes an impression (and a bruise)
;)

ParaMedTech said:
OM, for the past two summers we've been running needle parades for all pers at the Chilliwack STC who are completing both BMQ and SQ (i.e. will be there for long enough to get the both Hep A and the 1st two Hep B shots). They also got MMR, TD, PPD if indicated,

DF

Thanks DF,

I spent some time reading over every reference I could find or had on the subject and came up blank.  I think I'll move this thread over to the CFHS board and maybe someone can come up with a new reference. If something has changed that medical directive, then I want to get the right information in here. 

OM

We're looking for the reference for the latest directive for Reserve immunizations during BMQ/SQ at Summer training Centers.

I had it in my last job, I left that file there.  I'll stick my head in this week and see if I can find it.

DF

OM, you beat me to it  ;D

It's a lot easier for the CF to vaccinate you, otherwise they have to go to through the trouble of putting the mind control drugs in your food.
Bart

Back