• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ and Release

http://www.army.ca/wiki/index.php/Articles_for_Release#4___Voluntary

It is a release from the Canadian Forces entirely.

Thank you, my son is in basic training and I think he has decided to take this
VR. It makes me sad. I was hoping that he would not be able to do this and would have to complete the full training. Someone told him he could leave at the 5 week marker.

karma said:
Thank you, my son is in basic training and I think he has decided to take this
VR. It makes me sad. I was hoping that he would not be able to do this and would have to complete the full training. Someone told him he could leave at the 5 week marker.

Trust me your not the only parent who has every wished this.  However alot of kids will send mixed signals when talking to thier parents. Also the time there goes fast and what may have been bothering him one day may not seem so bad the next.  (that is not a huge percentage though)  Best of luck and hope it turns out for your son.

karma said:
Thanks, can they apply for this VR at anytime?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they have to be in (or completed) 5 weeks.

you can do a VR when you are on AWT or WFT platoon or you are at your week 5, the process can be very long 2 weeks and more. but Right now Christmas coming so they try to put out everyone before Christmas. Some case have a red tag on the file, means its urgent to go back home. Depending your case. I hope I did help you with the information.

karma said:
.It makes me sad. I was hoping that he would not be able to do this and would have to complete the full training.

It's a double edged sword.
Some kids get freaked out and want to go home to their girlfriends sleeping in until 1 pm and xbox360.
Often the immediately regret quitting and try and get back in.  Moment of weakness kinda thing.

Some people just aren't meant for the military and it's good that they have the option of leaving.

Some people go as far as to hurt themselves to get kicked out of the military. They just can't handle it and for some reason injuring themselves as either a fake accident or suicide atempt seems like a good idea.

Flawed Design said:
It's a double edged sword.
Some kids get freaked out and want to go home to their girlfriends sleeping in until 1 pm and xbox360.
Often the immediately regret quitting and try and get back in.  Moment of weakness kinda thing.

Some people just aren't meant for the military and it's good that they have the option of leaving.

Some people go as far as to hurt themselves to get kicked out of the military. They just can't handle it and for some reason injuring themselves as either a fake accident or suicide atempt seems like a good idea.

Yea in my bmq course there was a guy who actually became slightly odder so to say, he talked about doing  stuff all the time, went to the mir in week 3 had a med chit for accelerated release. i felt bad  for the guy. but it is true some people do, do it.

I got this from CFAO 15-2 - A member who requests voluntary release while undergoing recruit training will have the request granted no later than the completion of that
training.  A reasonable period to allow for counselling and administration
may precede release action.

"Yea in my bmq course there was a guy who actually became slightly odder so to say, he talked about doing  stuff all the time, went to the mir in week 3 had a med chit for accelerated release. i felt bad  for the guy. but it is true some people do, do it."

-Sould this person have been assessed by a psychologist after he had been talking about "doing stuff"?  By "doing stuff" I am assuming that he is talking about self harm.  Who would be responsible if he "does something" after his release?

Sea King Tech said:
"Yea in my bmq course there was a guy who actually became slightly odder so to say, he talked about doing  stuff all the time, went to the mir in week 3 had a med chit for accelerated release. i felt bad  for the guy. but it is true some people do, do it."

-Sould this person have been assessed by a psychologist after he had been talking about "doing stuff"?  By "doing stuff" I am assuming that he is talking about self harm.  Who would be responsible if he "does something" after his release?

good question, cant answer that question at all. its a catch 50 or 20? i think ah... i guess maybe thats one of the reasons why they release the people who fall in the category so fast than?

Can someone please help.  What is the fastest way of getting released from basic training if you haven't reached the 5 week mark yet?

Tell the staff you all want to release.

Use the plural form whenever you refer to yourself during the conversation.

::)

There are so many fast ways to be Released:

1)  Be an utter failure at everything (Training Failure);

2)  Be an administrative problem (Administrative Burden);

3)  Be a MIR Commando;

4)  Compassionate reason;

5)  Fraternize with the Staff;

6)  See a Shrink;

7)  See the Padre; and

8)  Many others.

Best way is to see your Staff and talk to them.  You will likely have to write a Memo explaining why you want to Release.  Most of the above points are not really good reasons to use for a Release.

Hello,
My fiancé is currently in St Jean on week 5 of BMQ. He wants to complete it but would like to VR. Does he put his VR forms in before he graduates or after?

Adelaide3 said:
He wants to complete it but would like to VR.

For reference to the discussion,

Voluntary Release Questions 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/18252.75
6 pages.

Adelaide3 said:
Hello,
My fiancé is currently in St Jean on week 5 of BMQ. He wants to complete it but would like to VR. Does he put his VR forms in before he graduates or after?

Word of caution: If he puts his VR in now, with 5 weeks left, that could possibly negatively impact his experience with the rest of the course, more so than what he may already be experiencing. This isn’t always the case, but it’s a possibility depending on the collective nature of his staff and his platoon dynamic...But anyway, if he really has his heart set on releasing, he needs to decide where he wants to sit around for anywhere from 3-5 weeks+ waiting to be released. If he’s Infantry, CFLRS might be the lesser of two evils, so he should submit them before grad. (There won’t be time at CFLRS after grad, because everyone gets shipped out to finish their next leg of training quickly, so if he waits until after grad he’ll have to submit them wherever he ends up.)

Out of curiosity, (and you don’t need to actually respond, this is kind of rhetorical) why does he want to quit? Has he talked to a padre, has he requested to speak with his staff about any concerns during an admin period when things are calm in order to make sure he’s making a decision while in the right frame of mind? If his decision is based on personal issues outside of training, has he (and you) thoroughly discussed if there’s a possibility things can be managed simultaneously—have all options been explored?

Going from experience—both personal and observed—staff can be receptive and understanding when someone is struggling, provided they’ve been a decent recruit up to that point. It’s common that some recruits have second thoughts for whatever reason.

I hope he’s not making a decision lightly, but the fact that he at least wants to finish BMQ is a positive. The training is good for 5yrs should circumstances resolve themselves and he wishes to rejoin.

Adelaide3 said:
Hello,

If your fiancé is serious about wanting to release, he should put in his VR before finishing BMQ. The CAF policy, which he would have been briefed on when he enrolled, is that after successfully completing BMQ, a Voluntary Release will not normally be granted in the member's first 3 years of service.

Back