• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ and Release

toyotaecho25

Inactive
Reaction score
My son along with 132 other members are awaiting to be released.
He realized the military wasnt for him.
They told him and others it would take 6 weeks for them to be out of St. Jean.
He is so angry.
Why would they keep them there, pay them, feed them for 6 weeks and waste Govt money.
He and many just want out, for cripes sake, let them go.
:rage:

Gee I wonder why your son wants out...do you always do his fighting for him? Maybe you should march down there and rip the sgt. a new one. The nerve of them, keeping your son and 132 other people against their will! :boring:

Many reasons, all of them from people who came before him.

Some of them will change their minds during that waiting time.  Then the CF doesn't lose the money they spent recruiting your son.  I teach soldiers right out of basic training, we do not send people back to a holding platoon just because they had a bad day/weekend/week/month.  Probably around half of those who tell an instructor they dont want to be there end up graduating.  If we fired them out the door when they said I quit we would probably have to run an additional course per year.

He asked to join, he signed on for three years, the CF has already spent thousands on him, he should sit down, shut up, and maybe make a more considered decision next time he applies for a job/career, flushes a bunch of my tax money down the drain and then whine about it.

toyotaecho25 said:
He is so angry.
Why would they keep them there, pay them, feed them for 6 weeks and waste Govt money.

Holy crap!! He's only been there since Sept 3rd ...

There's a kid who suffers from indecision eh??  ;)

Quick trip to pick him up though mom or dad ... once that 6 week period (if that long) is up. What 2.5 hours max drive??

Beat me to it Vern.....................giving up after 8 days??

......and you are encouraging him to fail this test of manhood?
Some nice Mother ::), I'm sure glad mine was there for me at the time.

I think I will give her a call just to tell her I love her.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Beat me to it Vern.....................giving up after 8 days??

......and you are encouraging him to fail this test of manhood?
Some nice Mother ::), I'm sure glad mine was there for me at the time.

I think I will give her a call just to tell her I love her.

No worries Bruce.

My parents backed me up too ... right to the Cornwallis gate, and tossed out my luggage with a "grow up girl." Cripes, and I was only 20 ... not 22.

I forgave them though!! I love my job.  :D

Edited because I have forgotten how to spell Cornwallis. I need some serious extra-duties.

I was 17 when mine walked me to the train, made sure I got on, danced a little jig I'm sure,...........but then were there for me day or night if I needed them to take that collect call.

[ and I just called,  Moms a little tired from her water aerobics class....she'll be 80 in December :salute:]

The poor little dears.....that going to take some serious handwringing, patting on back/top of head, hugs, and big time enlightenment on the part of the parents to help their young'n to overcome the trauma of making a decision.....but he did the right thing anyway....he gave up.....true Canadians!!

I know how you meant that GAP ... but it may earn you some demotes!!  :D

I'll pat your head for you if it occurs!!  ;D

first of all, i dont do everything for my son, thank you. I was wondering if anyone esle went through this.
Everyone makes a decision and realizes its not for them.
I stand BEHIND him...and back him up NO MATTER what his decision.
It is my tax money too.
All of you who responded, you all are very rude.
So, next time, keep you comments to yourself.

With all due respect Maam, you logged onto an Army forum, where the majority of members have passed basic training, (and loads of other tougher courses to boot ) to complain about something none of them (unless one is secretly the Commandant of CFLRS) have any control over.

So Bruce, Vern care to bet ( as you both know what I do for a living) how long before this little dear is in my office wanting his Government issued hug and cookies and milk. ::)

toyotaecho25 said:
He is so angry.

Sounds a lot like wondering if anyone else has experienced the same to me.

Don't worry. This is the new military.
cuddle.gif

where it only takes them 6 weeks to cut the apron strings.

Glad to hear you support him in whatever decision he makes. That's good.

grouphugg.gif

yes it is against their will. they asked to get out.
they said at any time they could ask for their release.
why did the platoon start off with 70 ppl and in less than a week are down to under 50, something wrong here.

I appreciate your comments, however was hoping for positive ones.
I did forget to mention, that I was in the military back in 1984 and when someone wanted out, they were gone.
I dont understand why it just takes so long now.
That was my one and only question here.
Thanks.

Not at all. That is what basic training is designed for. If I went into combat, I want to be damn sure that whoever I was with was there because they wanted to be there and had the drive to be there. Its all well and good for them to decide they don't want to be there, but I sure as hell don't want to be fighting with anyone under that attitude. When one joins the forces and signs on the dotted line (which is what your son did,) he should have been fully aware and informed of the oath he had taken to serve the Queen, Canada etc and as such cannot complain when he's being kept in St Jean and being paid, and fed for an extra 6 weeks.

Edit: Some university grammar skills  I own.

I believe AmmoTech had a very good answer above with:

I teach soldiers right out of basic training, we do not send people back to a holding platoon just because they had a bad day/weekend/week/month.  Probably around half of those who tell an instructor they dont want to be there end up graduating.

I agree Jesse with what you said.
So, he made a mistake. Its not for everyone.
But he would rather be back here and working at his old job ... so he isnt cut out for it..big deal, so are alot of others.

toyotaecho25 said:
yes it is against their will. they asked to get out.
they said at any time they could ask for their release.
why did the platoon start off with 70 ppl and in less than a week are down to under 50, something wrong here.

Uhmmmm no,

It's NOT. Your son et al signed a 3 year contract. They can and did ask for their release; it's coming. In 6 weeks apparently. Not bad for breaking a three year contract eh?? It's no longer 1984. Time's have changed.

It's down to 50 because training is tough, and physical, and hard (you'd remember that from your time in I'm quite sure). People get recoursed all the time due to injury, but they stay in because they want to be there and because they can hack it. Platoons drop strength but it is indeed a VERY slim minority who ...

put in their release. That's the sit your son is in.

vern, could you please tell me why you are so defensive, all i asked is..why cant they be released sooner.
I asked if anyone has experienced this.
You and many others here have gone off on me.
I dont need nor want to be crapped on.
thanks for everyones input.
hagd

Back