• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Billions for Housing, Not for Weapons" Protest, 11 Oct 07, Ottawa

prom said:
Don't get me wrong, I dont think that Billions should be shoved into programs like this, as it will get abused, however I do beleive that and know that there are very hard working people that do need programs like this so they dont end up increasing that number of homeless.

I agree. Programs are good, but choices must be researched. I worked a bit with Habitat for Humanity which is a non=profit and non-governmental volunteer organization. This organization first builds homes and then tries to find people to live in them. By no means are these homes free... but they are inexpensive by comparing to other homes (there is no upsale marketing involved). People are chosen (families mostly) and are given a no interest loan from the NGO or Bank. This is very successful, and gets people to be in control of their future.

They are blocking the wrong office; housing is a Provincial matter, and practically handled by the Civic governments. Perhaps they should place their barracade here:

110 Laurier Ave W, Ottawa, ON K1P

correct me if Im wrong didnt the liberals have some sort of direct to Prov gov payments to aid in the creation of low income housing?

Newfoundland and Labrador Housing is the goverment agency to deal with that in NL, and NGOs like HH as mentioned above which in my opnion is a great group that I too had done some work with whil in university, and really should start back with again.

There might have been 200 there - noisy? They had a sound truck blaring tom tom drums. But it didn't try and even be original - sounded to me more like no imagination with their message. Lots of cops hovering and it all broke up after about 90 mins. Had to get back to the bus lines and their flop houses before rush hour started.

I don't mind demonstrators but these were inept.

Back