• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BIG Mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsorftw

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I had an interview yesterday with a reserve unit and made a rather large mistake - by being honest.  The CO of the unit asked me what my longterm goals were and I informed him that if I enjoyed the reserves, I would probably enlist in the regular forces.  After that, he told me he had to "flag" my file and suggested that I think about joining the regular forces since the unit is  looking for people who will stay in for the long haul and they are not a testing ground for the CF.  It all makes sense since they have to pay to train etc.  Needless to say he told me not to get discouraged, because they will still consider me..

Any suggestions out there?  Should I just jump into it and join the regular forces?  Or wait it out and see what happens in the next few months?  Is it possible to call the recruiter and have them change my application to full time, or would i have to redo the entire application, along with references? 

I have 2 very young children and I don't know how they would handle me being gone for such an extended time.

I am :cdn:!

While I can see the CO's point of view on the matter the reality is that the reserves are a feeder into the Reg force, always have been.

Don't be discouraged.  It is a shame that your honesty also brought out his honesty and misconceptions.  It is a fact that the Reserves loose a lot of people to the Regular Force, and some Reserve commanders can't handle that fact.  They only hurt themselves.  Instead of having a soldier like you for even a couple of years, they would rather go without.  There is no one in the world who can accurately predict what their future holds.  Your honesty is good, but can you accurately say that you will indeed join the Regular Force in a few years?  Perhaps you will find something else of more interest, and not.  In the meantime that 'officer' has lost a potential member of his Regiment. 

Don't worry about it.  If that Reserve Unit is so screwed up that they don't take you for those reasons, then go and apply for the Regular Forces.  It may save you a lot of grief, if that is what you wanted to do later anyway. 

It sounds like a shame that that officer felt that way.  Too bad for him, his Regiment, and their future.

Well said George. I can't see how being honest is 'big mistake'. Good luck windsor.

If you are interested in giving the CF a try and you don't get accepted into the Reserves for the aforementioned reasons, then you can always give the Regular Forces a go.  It isn't as if when you join you spend your life in the army.  You'll sign a Basic Engagement which is a three year contract where afterwards you will have an option to leave the Forces or make a new contract which would most likely be a Continuing Engagement (another four years).

Overall if you are that interested maybe you should give the Reg Forces a shot.  If you don't like it you are only signed up for three years where you get fed everyday and make decent money.  And if you really don't like it you can always submit a Voluntary Release, although sometimes they do take some time to get processed unfortunately.

Cheers.

windsorftw said:
I have 2 very young children and I don't know how they would handle me being gone for such an extended time.

I am :cdn:!

I have three children, aged 11, 8 and 5.
I have been a CF spouse for 8 years, and can tell you from my experience that children are more resilient than we give them credit for.
I am sure they would get used to it, if you are seriously thinking of joining the reg F. My children are about embark on unknown territory though, with myself now joining the CF as well. I think from our past experiences that they will do better than I am expecting, and may even help my husband to transition from being the only serving member in our household, to now also having to be the CF spouse.

I do not know how old your children are, but we have sat down with ours multiple times since I got my offer, and discussed how things will be different, even hard at first, but the long term benefits of this benefit all in the house. They have brought up concerns they have and both my husband and I have tried our best to answer their questions and set their minds at ease. We want this to be as painless a transition as possible, but we are all prepared that it will also be one of the toughest we have had to endure as a family.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
:)

As a reservist I am appalled that a unit CO would think or act in this way.  (At the same time, I'm not surprised).

The Army Reserve has an unfortunate affinity for navel-gazing, and for viewing itself as the sole raison d'etre for the CF as a whole.

In an average year roughly 20% of people who leave the Army Reserve do so to join the Regular Force.  That is a good thing; it helps builds bonds of trust and familiarity between the two components.  It's a sign of a successful unit, that they inculcate the military ethos and desire to serve in their soldiers.

I agree with the title of this thread - there was a BIG Mistake!  A BIG Mistake! on the part of the unit...

Of course now

I have no doubt that by posting the unit's name and the situation..

Someone from that unit will filter this back to the CO.  Thus, I think
your chances just became infinitely more difficult.  I suggest praying
and reconsidering units as the CO probably won't appreciate you publishing
comments that make him look ... less than stellar.

Sorry that your initial experience with a reserve unit was less than optimal. IIRC the EK Scots are mostly a rural unit near Windsor. You might want to consider reserve units in Windsor itself such as the Windsor Regiment, which is a pretty strong recce reserve unit.

As for "flagging" your application, I'm not sure what that means; AFAIK there is no such formal administrative designation (unless there is someone here who does). You might want to continue the application and see what happens.

Otherwise the drive to Windsor might be worth while.

Cheers and good luck, mdh

If you are that interested in the military, then go Reg F.  But just to clarify, the Variable Initial Engagements that new recruits sign now can be anywhere from 3 - 6 years depending on the trade.

But just to clarify, the Variable Initial Engagements that new recruits sign now can be anywhere from 3 - 6 years depending on the trade.

Which raises another question - are you going officer or NCO? I assume if you're being interviewed by the CO it's mostly likely officer? That might change the dynamics of your situation.

Thank you all for the info,
I have nothing against the CO of the unit, in fact he was a really nice man and was merely taking care of his unit.  I have nothing against him and he said I still have a really good chance of being accepted.

I am going for DEO Infantry and as such, the unit in question is in dire needs of junior officers.   I suppose I'll have to wait and see come September what they decide.
As for joining the Windsor Regiment, it wouldn't matter how far I drive.  All three reserve units in my city are in the same building, and there's also the HMCS Hunter which is a little closer to where I live.

On another note, if I did join the regular force as a DEO officer, on average how long would the recruitment process take?

I have nothing against the CO of the unit, in fact he was a really nice man and was merely taking care of his unit.  I have nothing against him and he said I still have a really good chance of being accepted.

Ah there you go; considering the shortage of junior officers in some of the reserve infantry units you sound like you're competitive. Sometimes a CO can be fussy if he wants to board the "right" kind of officers in the unit. Under those circumstances I would just stick with the process and see what happens. As for your age 28 is nothing to worry about, there are quite a few who are even older. As for the reg. force just do a search on the board here - the short answer is: depends - could be a couple of months could be a year or more....

Think I have a better shot at joining the reg forces as an NCM and transfer over to officer after?  I am in my last year of university and will graduate in December.  I'm just eager to get started ASAP, if it's going to take a while to process my application then I might as well just join as an officer. 

SO MANY DECISIONS!  I suppose my best bet is to talk to a recruiter....again.
Thx everyone!

windsorftw said:
if it's going to take a while to process my application then I might as well just join as an officer. 

Oh....its going to take a while...

SO MANY DECISIONS!  I suppose my best bet is to talk to a recruiter....again.

good call

No such thing as ASAP in recruiting.  I'm going for the same thing you are (DEO Infantry) and have a young family too.  From what I've learnt so far, it's a crap shoot to get in, but a "chute" once you get in and start training.
Research all you can, and keep you're options open.  That's what I'm doing.

Windsorflow,

You'd be rolling the dice on that last option. While it is possible, no one can guarantee that you will be selected for commissioning. I'd recommend that you consider your options, look at the occupations that you might really want to do and make up a pro/con list for each.

Don't forget to look forward and see where you might want to be in 3, 5 and 10 years. It doesn't have to be exact, but take a look...and be hinest with yourself.

Good luck.

Kit, I know it might be a long shot.  I'm just undecided about the whole Officer/NCM deal.  While I do like the payrate of an officer, I don't know if I'd like doing administrative duties too much once I get high in the ranks.
At anyrate, I've been looking through all the trades, and Ammo Tech looks rather interesting too.  - Make things go BOOM! 
That's kind of my thing, I'm a chemist at the moment and would fit right in there.  Got my CFAT booked for August 11th, pumped up for that.  I guess I'll wait and see what happens.  I'd hate to get an offer for Officer in the Reserves and regret not being able to join as an NCM Ammo Tech.

At least Ammo Tech I wouldn't be in the direct line of fire, which is a bonus for my wife/kids.  Only time will tell I suppose.
Thx for the info

windsorftw said:
At least Ammo Tech I wouldn't be in the direct line of fire, which is a bonus for my wife/kids.  Only time will tell I suppose.
Thx for the info

From the DND recruiting army site (Ammo tech):

They will perform duties in aid of the civil power, in the form of RSP and disposal of explosive ordnance and improvised explosive devices, provide assistance to civil authority, participate in peacekeeping operations, and fight as infantry in an emergency.

You might want to re-think that expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back