• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big guys in the infantry

excoelis, I was going to "demote" you based on your ***sniff, sniff** picking on the poor fat, tankers...... I'll have to watch True Romance again to get the true spirit of your lines there (I loved the Sicilian(?) rant).

I was only basing my "light guys, lots more kit" on something I had heard before. Like many things in the Army, that was based on some half-baked info, obviously. Thanks for giving the straight dope, based on experience not hearsay.

Al

On the topic of chutes, has anybody heard about the new chute the Americans are looking at to replace the T-10.  Its diamond in shape and is supposed to reduce decent related shock significantly.  Anybody know if Canada is looking at it as well (I know, I know; parachutes are probably pretty low on the list of things to replace right now).  I'll try and find that article and post the link here on the chute.

Hi Al,

My sincerest apologies for taking the piss at your expense.  It was too good to resist :salute:

Infanteer, and all interested:

I will move the new parachute info to an appropriate forum in equipment.  See you there.

Bear with me and I'll tell you a story that is true. I know that one of the chaps died about three years ago and the other I don't know about him.
This little vignette happened in Korea. I'm only 5"7" and about 140 lbs maybe only 130lbs when I was in the army and anybody more than that is big to me. Anyhow "B"Coy 2 Bn The RCR, a nice sunny afternoon and a motar stonk comes in Two men head for the same slit trench one is about 5'10" maybe 180 lbs. The second is a   bean pole 6'4" 175 lbs. The first man gets in and the second man come crashing in on top of him and get everything in but his butt and that interupted the flight of a piece of shrapnell and he got a homer. The lesson is if you are tall make sure you are the first into the slit when the S-H-I-T starts to fly.

Here endeth the lesson. :salute:

I know I really dug this one up but i didn't see anything else really related.. I'm like 5"8 135 pounds, I'm going into the infantry  but I'm a bit nervous my size and strength will not be good enough....is every infanteer like huge raging beasts, or what? I'm just concerned after I have all my gear on I wont be able to move lol. I really want to be infantry but maybey I should shoot for something alittle more realistic?

The bigger you are the easier the target I would think..

Ðetermination said:
I know I really dug this one up but i didn't see anything else really related.. I'm like 5"8 135 pounds, I'm going into the infantry  but I'm a bit nervous my size and strength will not be good enough....is every infanteer like huge raging beasts, or what? I'm just concerned after I have all my gear on I wont be able to move lol. I really want to be infantry but maybey I should shoot for something alittle more realistic?

I joined combat engineers at 5'9 and 135 lbs. You will be fine.

Does size matter?  An old friend/colleague of mine started out in the army as infantry a few decades ago.  He was much shorter and smaller than me (and I'm a short-ass) so I would guess that he came in about 5'5" (probably less) with commensurate weight.  He was recce in his first battalion and said that the first time he was posted to the airborne regiment the first question was how much could he carry.  Seems that they usually loaded him up with lots of extra gear when he jumped but it didn't seem to be a problem for him.  He was successful on his recce, pathfinder and (following commissioning) Ranger courses (usually topping them) though looking at him walking away it seemed like a rucksack with legs.  Attitude can more than level the playing field.

When I joined I was 5'9, 125lbs.  I was by far the smallest guy on my basic and I won't lie to you, that's not a good thing. For the first few weeks instructors were all over me saying I was too small to be in the army and should VR etc etc.  Coursemates didn't make fun of me, but you could tell there was always that "lack of respect," if you may, that comes with the territory of being a small guy.

After a few weeks, however, instructors began using me as the example of "Pvt. ******** is the smallest guy on this platoon and he is having no problems with this!" 

Pretty much the same story for when I did armoured school and when I got to regiment.  I've since bulked up to about 150lbs and look a little more filled out.  Don't concern yourself with your size compared to others.  We all have a job to do and if your section commander, or whoever is in charge of you is an effective leader, he will recognize the strengths and weaknesses of everyone in the section and TRY to assign taskings appropriately.

Being smaller I'm quite good at endurance things, as well as moving quietly through the woods on a dismounted recce compared to the bigger guys.  That being said, give me a C6, ruck, Carl G, and ammo.....although I CAN carry it, I can't go as fast or as far with it as the bigger guys. 

So like I said, we all have roles, don't concern yourself with trying to compare yourself to someone bigger who fits a different role.  It's almost like apples and oranges.  Worry about passing your BMQ, BIQ and being an effective member or your regiment when you get there by giving 100% and not complaining about things. 

My fault......too used to using the better abbreviation of Tpr.  ;D

When I first go to 2Tp para in 2CER the MG and the CG were mostly given to the shorter, muscular guys. The reason, I was told, was that the taller guys were more at risk of back injury. Not sure how true that is...

cheers,
Frank

PanaEng said:
When I first go to 2Tp para in 2CER the MG and the CG were mostly given to the shorter, muscular guys. The reason, I was told, was that the taller guys were more at risk of back injury. Not sure how true that is...

cheers,
Frank

;D

Ummmm!

I think it more than likely had more to do with weight.  The Big Guys weighed more so their descents would be faster.  The little guys weighed much less and would have longer descent times, so adding the weight of the MG or CG would average their weights to that of the Big Guys, and also average the descent times of the whole stick of jumpers and allow for a better chance of them all landing in a closer proximity.

Blackadder1916 said:
  He was successful on his recce, pathfinder and (following commissioning) Ranger courses (usually topping them) though looking at him walking away it seemed like a rucksack with legs.  Attitude can more than level the playing field.

haha that paints a funny picture. Thanks for the reassurance guys I'm dead set on my trade so I didnt think anyone could've deterred me anyways but its always nice to know I'm not the only small 031 applicant.

To be fair size has both its advantages and limitations. Some of the best soldiers I've served with aren't physical specimens but average looking guys.

For those of you who body build - please be aware that the extra muscle requires energy to maintain that mass. IF you are cut off from that energy (rations) you may end up feeling weak and fuzzy headed.
Serious body builders eat 6 times a day. Not always desirable in the infantry.

Ðetermination said:
haha that paints a funny picture. Thanks for the reassurance guys I'm dead set on my trade so I didnt think anyone could've deterred me anyways but its always nice to know I'm not the only small 031 applicant.

I'm not that big either (5ft8) so you're not alone. Dont worry I'll carry the Carl G, you can have the ammo for it.  >:D

I would suggest you stick with football, 1st the infantry is hard on the body, 2nd infantry is a choice you must put some thought into considering the nature of the job . If infantry is just a time filler for something else then your not focused on the mission.

God Speed 
                                                                                                                                            2VP second bun second to none

Size and fat content is by no means an accurate picture of fitness.  It does not tell you how cardiovascuallly fit any given individual is.  Nor how strong, or tough/enduring.

My section IC on SQ was an Infantry Sgt, been to Afg and Bosnia and all, and was a fatso.  Yet he could haul pretty quick, and ruckmarch seemingly forever.

Even ordinary physical fitness alone isn't enough. I'm not cbt arms, never was, but infantiers that I know tell me it's all about toughness, endurance, tolerance to discomfort and pain, because they march long distances with loads of gear on top of them..... with little to no sleep or food..

I may run 5K in 30minutes, and be musclebound and relatively fit, but can that prepare me for a ruckmarch? It didn't prepare me for the multiple blisters on my feet after the 13k, or the horrible pain it caused.  The two are very different tests of one's fitness. If anything, I should have found more time to toughen my feet.

If I were to choose between being "big and ripped" and "thin and super-fast", the former would be it.  Sheer strength and endurance would be the things I desire most in that situation, much more than speed. Being tall, either way, is a HUGE advantage on ruckmarches.

George Wallace said:
;D

Ummmm!

I think it more than likely had more to do with weight.  The Big Guys weighed more so their descents would be faster. 

sadly this is not true
acceleration do to gravity is always 9.81 M/S on earth no matter the weight
the planes altitude will change gravity but probably only to ~9.79 M/S
not to be a wise ass

xxmixkexx said:
sadly this is not true
acceleration do to gravity is always 9.81 M/S on earth no matter the weight
the planes altitude will change gravity but probably only to ~9.79 M/S
not to be a wise ***
Sure, acceleration is the same. And in a vacuum everything falls at the same speed.  In the air you have to consider the air resistance. Then the denser you are the faster you fall - your terminal velocity is faster.  (not to be wise either  ;)  )

cheers,
Frank

Back