• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bergen ruck

kyleg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the British Bergen ruck. I've been doing some research and from what I can tell the issue ones are pretty good pieces of kit. I've been thinking of picking one up, but I wanted to know what you folks thought of it from a "field-use" point of view. Is it comfortable? How's the detachable daypack? With a sleeping system stuffed in the bottom is there still enough room for all necessary kit?

Cheers,
Pinky

The Bergen is a great piece of kit.  We have try ed them on when the Brits cross train with us.  The guys who were on the Cambrian patrol competition say that there is a ton of room.  When I used it I transfered all my kit from my ruck to the bergen and had a lot of room.  The small pack was not too bad, I am more partial to our new small pack to it.  But for personal use its a good buy.

MOOO! said:
When I used it I transfered all my kit from my ruck to the bergen and had a lot of room.

Did that include all the stuff from your valise as well? I ask because, if I get it, I'd like to be able to use it for exes or hiking trips up to a week long.

Cheers,
Pinky

Pinky, before you go an spend $200+ on a bergen, I'd check with your unit first. Be sh*tty if you spent all thay money on it an find out your unit won't let you wear it.

If I were planning on spending that kinda money on a ruck I'd definitely check with them. However, there is one available to me for about $50 CDN, and even if I didn't use it on ex i would use it as a civilian ruck on hiking trips. I know, I know, there are better civy-made rucks out there, but if I can use it for both military and civy applications it will be perfect.

... Why would a dane be answering this?
Because our "Oppakningssystem M/96" not only is identical to the british issued ones (except the camouflage pattern), it's made by the very same company that supplies the british soldiers: Chelsea Quilt Company.
Its made to be worn on top of your beltkit. Not carrying it in that manner makes it extremely uncomfortable if heavily loaded, so that might speak against your civy-street idea.

"But what about the hip-belt" you may ask.
"What hipbelt would that be" I'll answer... "Are you by any chance referring to the waistbelt?"

No wonder it's gotten the two worst nicknames I've ever heard, when talking about load carrying equipment: Toenden (/the barrel. Because it tends to roll from side to side when filled to the brim) and Taegen (/the tick. "What's that nasty thing sitting on my back?")

Nothing positive about it then?

Yes, the quality is nothing short of outstanding. And when properly packed and sitting on top of a belt-kit, it's fairly comfortable... Fairly!
And then there are the sidepouches: Brilliant piece of kit. Just make sure you get the correct yoke for'em as it can be mistaken for the beltkit-yoke if you're in a hurry!

Nevertheless, for CA$ 50,- I'd go for it!

That's exactly the kind of review I was looking for, thanks a lot. As for a belt kit, however, I'm using the tac vest now, so there's no belt to ride above. But like you said, for $50 it's a pretty good deal. Worst case scenario I can just sell it (and maybe even make a profit ;D).

ADDED IN EDIT: The pack that I'm looking at has a padded belt, would that not be comfortable on the hips?

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
The pack that I'm looking at has a padded belt, would that not be comfortable on the hips?

If it really is a PLCE, there'll be a little padding to start the waistbelt off at each side,
but they would never be long enough to reach those "hipbone protrusions" at your front.
And if you'd wear the belt down there anyway, the shoulder straps would sit rather awkward! ;)

Regards
Troels

I'm a pretty small guy (30 inch waist ant i'm about 5'8"/5'9") and the pack that I'm looking at is the Long back version. When you say that the shoulder straps would sit awkward is it because the point where the straps attach near the top of the pack would be below my shoulders? If this is what you meant it seems to me that using the long back version on my short body would remedy this problem.

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
When you say that the shoulder straps would sit awkward is it because the point where the straps attach near the top of the pack would be below my shoulders? If this is what you meant it seems to me that using the long back version on my short body would remedy this problem.

Hmmm, sounds more like a trial end error thing here. As I've understood it, the optimal position for where the shoulder straps meet is right between the shoulder blades. When trying on the bergen (with some realistic weight in it), that's where it should sit. If it's lower than that while wearing the waistbelt as a hipbelt, the balance is no longer as it should be. A certified way to get uncomfortable when out in the wilderness.

Hope this is usefull!

Regards
Troels :)

P.S. Whatever you do, stay well clear of the short-back version!

Patroels said:
P.S. Whatever you do, stay well clear of the short-back version!

So I hear!  :D

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
If I were planning on spending that kinda money on a ruck I'd definitely check with them. However, there is one available to me for about $50 CDN, and even if I didn't use it on ex i would use it as a civilian ruck on hiking trips. I know, I know, there are better civy-made rucks out there, but if I can use it for both military and civy applications it will be perfect.

It's always better to beg forgiveness then ask permission. ;D  You need to learn that before your a corporal.  If it's the real McCoy though, $50 bucks is a screaming good deal.

Oh I've learned it...  ;)

Turns out shipping was gonna be more than the pack itself :mad: oh well, I'll keep searching...

Cheers,
Pinky

My father has a British army bergen. When he was away somewhere in Africa some brits were leaving just as he was arriving and he traded one of them a standard issue multitool for it (I guess the British didn't issue them or something.). 

I have used the bergen when going on camping trips etc... It is excellent! It can take a lot of kit, and I found it to be pretty comfortable as well. I reccomend that you pick one up and see if you can use on ex's. I have no military experience so I don't know how well it holds up in the field.

Back