• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

dapaterson said:
@4Feathers: My question:  Assume that the IR change would happen regardless - remember, the CDS does not set pay or benefit policy, nor does CMP - it's all by Treasury Board.  How would you have the senior leadership announce the implementation of the change?
They have known about it since January, so why not announce it before people make family decisions. Sometimes leadership needs to questions decisions that affect their personnel so negatively instead of blindly taking the "get on with it" stance. That is the reason we need people like Gen Hilliar back, he did not blindly accept what the politicians and treasury board tried to ram down our throats. Good Leadership requires courage to question those things which require it.  They may lose but the troops will respect them more in the end.

4Feathers said:
Sometimes leadership needs to questions decisions that affect their personnel so negatively instead of blindly taking the "get on with it" stance.

That is making the broad assumption that the leadership did not protest the changes. I tell my boss all the time i disagree with his decisions but after we talk about it, if he wants to go ahead, i have to "get on with it". The CDS is no different and neither are you.

4Feathers said:
They have known about it since January, so why not announce it before people make family decisions. Sometimes leadership needs to questions decisions that affect their personnel so negatively instead of blindly taking the "get on with it" stance. That is the reason we need people like Gen Hilliar back, he did not blindly accept what the politicians and treasury board tried to ram down our throats. Good Leadership requires courage to question those things which require it.  They may lose but the troops will respect them more in the end.

Once my platoon commander or company makes a decision, wether I agree with him or not, I execute his orders.  I'll help them in the decision making process but once that happens I do my job.  That's likely what they did.  And be careful about what you are saying.  The CF has gotten intself in lots of trouble before, exactly because they didn't listen to what the treasury board and politicians tried to "ram" down our throats.

4Feathers said:

I don't think this is a fair statement.  We have no idea what went on behind closed doors, if they did indeed know since Jan, maybe it took them this long to sort it out.  I highly doubt the CDS said "What a fantastic idea, lets go with it".

Anyone who put some serious thought into this policy change would have known it would hurt many.  I wonder when the new CBI's are written if there will be exemptions given to those who are forced into situations beyond their control.

Towards_the_gap said:
So you joined because it was the last resort?

Was the length of your course, and the fact that you would be posted restricted until completion of said course, never mentioned to you? Did you not expect that, upon joining the CF (as much as it was the last thing in the world you wanted to do apparently, there was nothing else left right???), that some sacrifices would have to be made, and that, despite your BMQ certificate of military achievement, you are actually a very inconsequential part of a very big machine? You haven't done any tours, deployed anywhere, you aren't even qualified to do your job, yet believe that you deserve the same benefits and entitlements as those of us who have deployed, who have been in longer that 5 minutes, that have made the same sacrifices you are making, over and over again? When I joined I received no allowance to travel home, no special perks, no seperation expense, no rations at public expense, no mileage allowance when I was posted during basic and trades training, no LTA, and my family was 3,000 miles away. I accepted this because I made the choice knowing full well I was on my own if I wanted to see anyone from my family. Quite frankly, it's part of the job.

I'm not trying to have a go at those of you in the training system who find yourselves in this situation, but I do not have sympathy for you. You should have made yourselves aware of all the potential implications of your career and trade choice, and as one poster said, not counted on IR benefits, particularly when you are at the start of your career.

With all due respect here, your benefits aren't tied into tours and deployments and so on, you are rewarded for those appropriately as you do them.  What he knows is the here and now, not what you received or didn't receive before.  Also, if he is the only one currently earning a wage and supporting a family, of course taking away those IR benefits is going to hurt. 

That's the same in our situation, DH has been in 20+ years, but his benefits are what I know today.  He has to go IR for a year before I can go.  Expecting families to make some fairly tough adjustments all in the space of a month isn't very realistic.

Not everyone on IR is milking it for all they can.  Unfortunately it's the folks doing it right that are being penalized for the ones doing it very, very wrong. And it will have an adverse effect on not all, but some.

I maintain, more objective eyes would have presented other options as alternatives for cuts.  There are plenty of areas where it wouldn't have as much of an outcry as this one is. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Anyone who put some serious thought into this policy change would have known it would hurt many.  I wonder when the new CBI's are written if there will be exemptions given to those who are forced into situations beyond their control.

It seems that those who will feel this the most are the newest mbrs;  NCMs and Officers who are newly in, still in the trg system and have not attained Career Status yet (no CFIRP benefits without that) and obviously at the bottom of the applic pay rates tables.  The young Ptes/OS, the OCdt/2Lts who are on prohibited status with D, HG & E to maintain in another location who have no choice but to live-in and pay rations are the ones who will feel the changes the most.  However, just because they are the newbies, with no tours, etc I don't think their welfare should be discounted. 

What is the solution though?  Not sure.  Section 3 of the BTAGs (Assignment of Personnel) details the specific policies WRT posting status for these BTL mbrs, and its clear they can't be posted for basic/initial Occ trg with a cost move, IR policy, etc.  However, some of them are on PAT, then course, then maybe PAT again waiting for Pt/Mod/Phase 'X' of a course, etc for a fairly long time.  It is a hardship to the mbr's QOL and family and I can understand their concerns and low morale WRT the issue.

I am just an oar-puller, but I am hopeful that AFC, L1s, etc are looking at this from different angles with the welfare of our newest mbrs (who will form the CF of tomorrow afterall) in mind.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I don't think this is a fair statement.  We have no idea what went on behind closed doors, if they did indeed know since Jan, maybe it took them this long to sort it out.  I highly doubt the CDS said "What a fantastic idea, lets go with it".

If they did know since January, telling all of you wouldn't have changed anything.  Transfers still have to happen.  Posting messages would still have been sent.  Can you plan better whether the family comes or goes, whether you found out now or back in January???  I don't think so.  It also depends what your Unit and Career Manager have to say.  The family is an even smaller cog in that big wheel.

In our instance it wouldn't have changed a thing.  We did request extensions and delays for a year, escalated it, it was declined.  So he will go, I will stay behind until my daughter graduates in June/13.  And because there are days where I feel common sense isn't really all that common we will now be penalized because he HAS to go.  :)  And we will survive, not happily but it's doable.

It's been interesting reading all the comments here and the Military Spouse page.  Hopefully, some "right" people see it too.

Bridger said:
Being a married member on prohibited posting (currently on PAT) I've benefited from two of the biggest benefits being cut; and quite frankly they're going to hurt...  That said, I'm not opposed to what they're doing.

It would appear they're still going to pay for my quarters and maybe some duplicate expenses (as they should, I'm not separated by choice); but I'm very concerned about the cost of rations.  I'm not against paying for rations, fair enough, I'm not currently paying to feed myself at home or otherwise...  My concern (like others) is the cost...  I used to budget about $200/month to feed myself at home, I ate well enough, it was reasonable.  Unfortunatly $200 is a far cry from the $500+ being charged to eat at the mess; and I don't seem to have a choice with regards to paying for that.

Forgive me for sounding like an absolute noob to the CF (because I am), but is there anyway to get the message accross to the decision makers that more reasonable options are needed?

I'm okay with losing the SE payments (sucks, but sacrifices must be made), I'm even okay with paying something for my food; but they need to compensate for the difference in cost...

Bridger, 'noob' or not, you have stated well the challenges that the majority of those policy-abiding folks on IR will experience, including as a number of us have also said, contributing a reasonable portion of costs incurred by the CF to provide services in the IR location.  The impact to members on IR will be significant and does have a clearly quantifiable effect on CF members' family budgets.  It is even worse when you consider that the money you will be paying is "post-tax", and how much "pre-tax" equivalent of your overall salary is effectively used supporting continued IR/restricted postings.  Depending on a member's tax bracket, that $543 can be as much as $900-1000/month of one's pre-tax salary, certainly not an insignificant impact to the member.

Jay4th said:
...So the way I see it, I'm out $860 bucks.  Please point out to me how I was abusing the system, or how any of this was really my choice.  I know several Sgts, for whom driving home to see their kids will literally take food from their mouths.

Jay4th, you are in no way abusing the system, but are in fact absolutely representative of a significant number of members being put demonstrably in a financially strained situation by the CF due to the service's primary needs.  $800-900/month of anyone's disposable income is a HUGE amount, and is particularly difficult to swallow when it comes from a situation that the CF (via the CMs) recommended to you to help resolve its operational/personnel situation in Wainright.  My numbers are similar to yours and I'm not overly thrilled with the prospect of paying close to $20,000 over the next 22 months, but the policy changes have also made a move even costlier, so it's the lesser of two evils for me...  :-\

I'm likely not the only one who has done so, but I can tell you that I have already submitted a quantitative and qualitative assessment through my chain of command regarding the impact on my unit's personnel on IR and I included a number of COAs that could be pursued to mitigate the impact of these changes, including phasing of benefit reductions or adjustment to CF rations policies that would still conform to TB directives. 

I agree that there definitely need to be meaningful options now provided to CF members on IR regarding rations.  For example, the application of a blanket, mandatorily-linked (to quarters) rations charge is in many (or most) cases unreasonable. 

Being on IR myself, I can say that I probably eat less than half my meals at the mess, the balance being either a light breakfast that I can provide in my (ant-infested) room in the barracks to "after mess hours" meals on the local economy [...since I don't have accommodations that conform to the TB directives re: meal preparation - CF would probably say "we provide you rations on base, so you're not entitled to a room that has food storage/prep/cooking facilities..."]  I have no doubt that if given a "pay-as-you-go" per meal option, I would not even come close to $543/month of meals consumed.

I'm not sure it applies exactly to the situation of a CF member on IR, but there certainly is reason to investigate the different rates that even the National Joint Council states for rations vs. meals: http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=134&lang=eng - Appendix I to the NJC Isolated Posting and Government Housing Directive

Effective date: 01.08.2012

When employees and their dependents (if any) are provided with meals or rations by or on behalf of the employer, they shall be charged:

a.  310.52 dollars per month per person aged 12 years and over for rations

or

b.  543.41 dollars per month per person aged 12 years and over for meals

and

c.  one-half of the rates referred to in paragraph a. or b. per person under the age of 12 years.

I was unable to identify the difference between rations and meals, but it would appear there is an existing NJC directive (the Public Service's 'bible' for stating in plain-speak the applicable TB policies) that the CF could use to adjust the costs it is going to charge CF members on IR, i.e. charge them $310 instead of the $543 we have been told we'll be paying after 1 Sep.

It would also be interesting to see if the CF would accept "reverse abatement" on rations, i.e. reduce your ration charge for days that you have traveled to return to your family...after all, the SE benefits were abated for any period you returned to your principle residence...fair's fair, after all.

The irony regarding IR cancellation of benefits is that there is a particular group (likely the LARGEST group?) that will not be affected proportionately as much as others, i.e. those members on IR in the NCR, for whom there are no available DND rations and quarters available.  They will continue to get up to the maximum of $1600/month commercial accommodation + $100/month parking, so their out of pocket costs only be the food they actually eat, as they will no longer receive the 75% incidentals and 65% of the NJC Travel Directive - Annex C Allowances dinner meal rate equating to $26.55/day.

Those being affected to the greatest degree are pretty much anyone NOT in the NCR, in that the CF provides rations and quarters pretty much to everyone else.  These members go from being provided R&Q and the SE incidentals ($13 per unabated day) to having to pay $543/month (unless the CF allows 'de-linking' rations (or more accurately a mandatory meal plan) from the provision of quarters).  Furthermore, as Jay4th mentioned in his post, where the incidentals generally offset, either partially or wholly, the weekend travel back to their families, this travel now becomes directly out-of-pocket expense.  This is where the difference lies between those who feel that some members on IR were "counting on" additional income in the form of the IR benefits, and the reality that will be true out of pocket costs, particularly unfortunate for those CF members who had little or no choice in their situation.

As well, for the record (confirm-able by a search of this thread), the only people who have actually said "suck it up," are those saying that others have said it, which they hadn't.  There is a difference between some of us saying, "it is what it is...let's find ways to deal with it" and a "suck it up" which no one has said themselves to others of the situation.

None of us in any of the situations resulting from the upcoming policy change is thrilled with the prospects of the significant financial impact it will entail and all the warm fuzzy "world-renowned benefits and compensation" of Para 2 of the CANFORGEN will do little if anything to remedy the situations.  This policy will no doubt force some CF members to make life influencing decisions and that is very unfortunate, but
as alluded to earlier, much of what went on in arbitrating whatever will come in future amended CBIs was conducted in Cabinet Confidence and so it is unfair in my opinion for people to accuse CF leadership of doing nothing to shield potentially affected CF members.

What will help is if members continue to provide suggestions and options through their respective chains of command for mitigating the situation so that lower-level workable plans can be developed to address the issues.

Regards
G2G

*edited for spelling/grammar*

As you said, the biggest group of people affected will those least able to afford it. It won't be people who made choice to go on Ir for 3 years in Ottawa on a CWO or Col salary. It will be private or 2lt blogging who is stuck on pat away from his family for two years and isn't given a choice.
The reason for the hate on snr leadership, is it appears to be another cut to the troops well being and the senior leaders will be fine. It may not be true but the perception is there. Also the last para of the canforgen is really really condescending.

newwifey said:
With all due respect here, your benefits aren't tied into tours and deployments and so on, you are rewarded for those appropriately as you do them.  What he knows is the here and now, not what you received or didn't receive before.  Also, if he is the only one currently earning a wage and supporting a family, of course taking away those IR benefits is going to hurt. 

That's the same in our situation, DH has been in 20+ years, but his benefits are what I know today.  He has to go IR for a year before I can go.  Expecting families to make some fairly tough adjustments all in the space of a month isn't very realistic.

Not everyone on IR is milking it for all they can.  Unfortunately it's the folks doing it right that are being penalized for the ones doing it very, very wrong. And it will have an adverse effect on not all, but some.

I maintain, more objective eyes would have presented other options as alternatives for cuts.  There are plenty of areas where it wouldn't have as much of an outcry as this one is.

newwifey - good post, points I hadn't considered.

G2G - likwise, excellent post.

Tony Manifold said:
The reason for the hate on snr leadership, is it appears to be another cut to the troops well being and the senior leaders will be fine. It may not be true but the perception is there. Also the last para of the canforgen is really really condescending.

Your "hate on" is misplaced.

Throughout this thread are statements from folks "in the know" that this was NOT a CF leadership decision.  Even if the CF leadership strongly advised against these changes, Treasury Board is not bound to abide by that advice and will make such decisions as they see fit for the benefit of the public purse.  At the end of the day, the job of the CF leadership - yes including the much beloved Codfather - is to put goverment and Treasury Board direction into action.  Any CDS, including Gen Hillier, who is found to be willfully obstructing the direction of the government is liable to be replaced.

Hate the government - it's as Canadian a passtime as b!tching about the weather.

If the crack down on members abusing the IR system would have happened 10 years ago perhaps we wouldn't be in this place.

Tony Manifold said:
It may not be true but the perception is there.
Especially if one is going to repeat it over.....and over......and over again -- notwithstanding the reality being explained here.

Tony Manifold said:
As you said, the biggest group of people affected will those least able to afford it. It won't be people who made choice to go on Ir for 3 years in Ottawa on a CWO or Col salary. It will be private or 2lt blogging who is stuck on pat away from his family for two years and isn't given a choice.

I didn't say that -- I said the opposite; that I believe the largest group is likely formed of those on IR in the NCR. 

What I also said though, was that the cuts will have a disproportionate affect on those who are currently provided R&Q (i.e. those not in the NCR), especially if the CF refuses to de-link rations from Gov't-provided quarters -- these members will be forced to pay the flat-rate $543.10CR.  This is notably more than one would have to pay out of pocket if you have in-suite food storage and preparation facilities.

If the CF refuses to de-link rations from provided quarters (i.e. deduct $543.10/month from their pay), one option is for members on IR to leave quarters entirely, grouping together and renting something that combined rent and groceries will still be less than the free quarters and $543/month rations.  At some point, the business case to do so is valid -- potentially a very sad comment on the CF's support to its members on IR that it is actually more economical to move off base entirely, banding together to help support each other to minimize the personal costs...

Regards
G2G

Ref G2G's Post 187....

"...They will continue to get up to the maximum of $1600/month commercial accommodation + $100/month parking, so their out of pocket costs only be the food they actually eat, as they will no longer receive the 75% incidentals and 65% of the NJC Travel Directive - Annex C Allowances dinner meal rate equating to $26.55/day."

SE is $26.55 (65% of the evening meal rate)....there is no incidental amount.  SE is stopped (abated) when receiving TD/Operational allowances or when reunited, with D-F&E.

Incidental amounts are not payed...at least to those in the NCR.

I have been on IR for the last year....first time in 34 years.....

Yours aye....

Thanks, old fart, for clarifying that.  I had a short stint of IR in the NCR and received both SE and incidentals (without at home abatement, just leave and TD)...they must have eliminated the incidentals after 2009. 

Regards
G2G

I wonder if there is any movement to consider a leagal course of action.  You would think that the change would some how come across as a breach of contract.

I get the fact that the changes may be needed. But to tell bloggins that "Yes you signed up for the CF and we are sending you to Base X for two years and you can't take your family and move until your done training.  Dont worry you eat for free and stuff." One year later " Hey we are changing the rules you now owe us"

I'm sure we have seen courts get involved for less and put a hold on some employers COA.  I not sure but I think they are called injunctions.

I'm not one to rock the boat, but I think that alot of those with the mind set of, "good the gravy train needs to end", need to think about this,

We ask you to go on TD, you leave for 30 days, you come back settle your claim and later on you find out that the powers that be have said, meal rates are 50% and max for a hotel is $60, and you pay half the flights,  I know it sounds simplistic, but is it really that much different?

I'm out now and sorta glad, as this just doesn't seem right (the way it is being phased in) and even if it doesn't effect me these types of things bothered me.

At what point do you get to change a contract, and not allow those involved to back out, just a thought.

Can some one give G2Golf some mil points for that excellent post, I'm sort of a lurker /noob.

Northern Ranger,

Please read the NDA.  We all serve, quite literally, at the pleasure of the Crown.

There is no "contract" in the legal sense of the word that limits the Crown's power to amend our terms of service, at will.

In short- go ahead, hire a lawyer.  The lawyer will make money.  You won't.

SeaKingTacco said:
Northern Ranger,

Please read the NDA.  We all serve, quite literally, at the pleasure of the Crown.

There is no "contract" in the legal sense of the word that limits the Crown's power to amend our terms of service, at will.

In short- go ahead, hire a lawyer.  The lawyer will make money.  You won't.

You might be surprised to find out what a contract is in the normal world (i.e outside of the CF). Like I said, I don't need a lawyer as I'm out. 

Northern Ranger said:
You might be surprised to find out what a contract is in the normal world .

You might be surprised to find out it is not relevant.

Back