• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

7. EFFECTIVE 1 SEP 12, THE FOLLOWING CFIRP BENEFITS WILL BE
ADMINISTERED THROUGH THE PERSONALIZED FUNDING ENVELOPE AND CBI 208
WILL BE AMENDED ACCORDINGLY:
F. DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION FEES AT ORIGIN AND NEW PLACE OF DUTY

This I don't understand. Personalized funds are for, in the words of the CFIRP manual, "Non-essential, but attributable for a relocation", whereas Core funds are for things "Essential to a relocation"

Someone mind telling me how hooking up things like Water, Heat, and Hydro suddenly became non-essential?

Guy Incognito said:
This I don't understand. Personalized funds are for, in the words of the CFIRP manual, "Non-essential, but attributable for a relocation", whereas Core funds are for things "Essential to a relocation"

Someone mind telling me how hooking up things like Water, Heat, and Hydro suddenly became non-essential?

Thats easy, they'll just issue a new CFIRP manual next year that changes the definition.

Atleast they gave the CF a pay raise to pay for all the expenses not covered anymore.  ;D

Cuts such as we've experienced recent months make things like the 1812 Pin purchase (which will go a Round #2 as the "made in China" ones are sub-standard, that makes me ROFL), etc seem all the more ridiculous to oar-pullers like me.

wesleyd said:
I noticed that there were no changes to any of the MP's benifits, must be rough serving six whole years in an air conditioned office with no one shooting at you.
And you get shot at how often? Let's have a little perspective.

I think the IR thing will cause some career managers inboxes to be flooded with requests for cost contingency moves and compasionate status. Members aren't going to go bankrupt to serve. We already give enough things up.

And to compare our benifits to other nations is unfair and just not acceptable.

I don't see why not, people will realise that we have it pretty darned good here. I say this as someone who was on the other side of the fence, and can tell you that for looking after its own, relocation wise, the CF grass is greener. Cuts are never nice, but does anyone NOT realise we are in a recession, and the only way to stay out of one is to be fiscally prudent? That being said, as EITS remarked, it makes the 1812 pin and other tat even more ridiculous. Anyone ever see those Army Ethics insulated mugs? We had cases of them in Afghan, and I couldn't help but wonder the cost of that crap.

wesleyd said:
And to compare our benifits to other nations is unfair and just not acceptable.

Tha't sup for debate. But I'd certainly think it fair to compare our pay and benefits to those NOT employed federally, who work in the private sector. As our very generous pay and entitlements are covered by all taxpayers colelctively - not just we ourselves - there's merit in looking at how we've got it in comparison.

For the first time in my over 30 years in the CF I feel betrayed.  Betrayed by the CDS, who I first met when he was the CO of the RCD in Pet., a man who I respected greatly, but who will now be remembered as the CDS who, on his watch, allowed the continuous erosion of our benefits without so much as a whimper.  How he continues to disappoint. 
To change the IR benefit without notice is criminal, and yes, I do not consider 30 days appropriate notice.  I am not now, nor will I ever be on IR, but to have COs and Base Commanders approve IR benefits last week, just have them terminated in 30 days is stupid.  Imagine being posted to Petawawa where there is a nine month wait for a PMQ.  Not being able to buy a house you proceed on IR only to find out today that you will lose your incidental payments and now be charged $554. a month in rations.  A difference of approx $1000 a month, and what does our leadership do?  Defend the benefit cuts as the best for all.  If this is the best you can do, at least have the moral courage to resign in protest.  Shame on all of you, who, with your inaction only serve to perpetuate the death of our benefits by a thousand cuts.  From hero to zero with one CANFORGEN!  I cannot find the words to describe the level of disgust I feel for this betrayal.  Smiling faces tell lies.  “WE HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED AFTER OUR PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO”  - just not as well as we use to.. Sad day indeed.

That's not going to go over so well with folks on IR in Halifax where rations are increasing to $900 / month at the same time.

Nostix said:
That's not going to go over so well with folks on IR in Halifax where rations are increasing to $900 / month at the same time.

You mean the people on "Imposed Restrictions" or the great many on what i call "Chosen Restrictions" (You know the ones who wife had a good job, kids didn't want to move, etc...).

Anyone on IR that is really caught by surprise on this, needs to re-evaluate their SA skills.

Now, for the doom & gloom crowd, at the rates our benefits go, there wont be much of a CF in a decade or two. When your personnel costs go above 50% of your budget, it's a warning sign.........

AEH said:
For the first time in my over 30 years in the CF I feel betrayed.  Betrayed by the CDS, who I first met when he was the CO of the RCD in Pet., a man who I respected greatly, but who will now be remembered as the CDS who, on his watch, allowed the continuous erosion of our benefits without so much as a whimper.  How he continues to disappoint. 
To change the IR benefit without notice is criminal, and yes, I do not consider 30 days appropriate notice.  I am not now, nor will I ever be on IR, but to have COs and Base Commanders approve IR benefits last week, just have them terminated in 30 days is stupid.  Imagine being posted to Petawawa where there is a nine month wait for a PMQ.  Not being able to buy a house you proceed on IR only to find out today that you will lose your incidental payments and now be charged $554. a month in rations.  A difference of approx $1000 a month, and what does our leadership do?  Defend the benefit cuts as the best for all.  If this is the best you can do, at least have the moral courage to resign in protest.  Shame on all of you, who, with your inaction only serve to perpetuate the death of our benefits by a thousand cuts.  From hero to zero with one CANFORGEN!  I cannot find the words to describe the level of disgust I feel for this betrayal.  Smiling faces tell lies.  “WE HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED AFTER OUR PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO”  - just not as well as we use to.. Sad day indeed.

Why don't you try and tell that sob story in Windsor, St Thomas, London, or any other town hit hard by the latest econo-meltdown, and let us know what they think.

Again, when all is said and done, we have it pretty cushty benefit wise, and perhaps we are finally at a point, financially, where it is unsustainable, as alluded to by Cdn_aviator.

AEH said:
To change the IR benefit without notice is criminal, and yes, I do not consider 30 days appropriate notice.  I am not now, nor will I ever be on IR, but to have COs and Base Commanders approve IR benefits last week, just have them terminated in 30 days is stupid.

I'm not sure when you want the notice given. There's always gonna be someone who gets the 30 days, regardless of when they do it.

Well, well. Dark days for current serving members.

I guess the slowly eroding benefits are to make up for the 'unprecedented pay hikes' (sarcasm intended) that were granted 10 years or so ago.

Serving members and their families will have to pull together internally more than ever towards the collective military family.

As always, civilian support is 'a mile wide and an inch deep'. I guess soldiers are just not important until the proverbial sh!t hits the fan.

Why don't you try and tell that sob story in Windsor, St Thomas, London, or any other town hit hard by the latest econo-meltdown, and let us know what they think.

Again, when all is said and done, we have it pretty cushty benefit wise, and perhaps we are finally at a point, financially, where it is unsustainable, as alluded to by Cdn_aviator.

Why would you compare military duty to civilian life in Windsor?  Who cares?  When DND was asked to reduce spending and find some money the leadership decided to reach into the soldier's pocket and find some there.  Just saying. 

AEH said:
  When DND was asked to reduce spending and find some money the leadership decided to reach into the soldier's pocket and find some there.  Just saying.

Yup. We could always take it from O&M or capital expenditures to the point where we pay soldiers with no equipment to use or training to do, right ?

Instead, people have to use their posting allowance to ship the dog, connection fees, redirect their mail....all out of money that is not part of their pay and thus not out of their pockets. MLI and mortgage penalties ? Try planing better.

IR ? IR was a gravytrain shitshow that should have been put to an end years ago. Too many people were going IR for reasons that were not those intended by the benefit. Now, we pay the price.

CDN Aviator- you took the words right out of my mouth.

Yes, let's pay for this instead of the LAV III upgrade, load carriage system, new CIED capabilities.

Grand idea.

AEH said:

While I agree this government is no different than the liebrals a few years ago; I don't blame the CDS. I personally don't want a CDS out stamping around holding his breath in public. I trust that the good General made the best decisions he could with the cuts this current government is making.

The CDS is a professional soldier and I'm glad this one acts as such.

To think, there is never a shortage of military guys on here bitching about overpaid union workers and their never ending drive for more, more, more.

To anyone on here crying foul at these VERY MODEST cuts, predicting doom and gloom and an end to wednesday morning coffee....

Let's put it all in perspective shall we?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8645851/MoD-sacrifices-manpower-to-pay-for-equipment.html

There is “considerable disquiet” among commanders after ministers announced plans to reduce the Army to its smallest size since Victorian times. replacing regular soldiers with part-timers. Military commanders and opposition politicians said the drastic reduction raised questions about whether the military will ever stage major operations abroad again. There are also fears that the Army will no longer be able to wage armoured warfare after ministers refused to give a guarantee that a £5 billion programme for 2,000 armoured vehicles will go ahead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/05/thousands-soldiers-compulsory-redundancy

Thousands of soldiers could face compulsory redundancy over the next two years as the army pushes through radical reforms that will be outlined on Thursday. With the army needing to axe 20,000 posts because of budget cuts, commanders are pushing to downsize as quickly as possible rather than prolong the process. This means the next two tranches of redundancy will be huge – and are likely to coincide with the draw-down from Afghanistan, leaving the army to start afresh in 2015. Though it is hoped many soldiers will leave under the voluntary redundancy scheme, the Ministry of Defence acknowledges the target cannot be reached without pushing some to the door. Another reason the army wants to press ahead with the cuts is to protect its personnel from EU legislation due to become effective in 2015, which will mean they are entitled to only three months pay if made redundant, rather than the nine months salary given now.

@AEH:  Have you ever read the NDA?  The CDS has zero authority over pay and benefits.  Zero.  Nada.  Rien.  Zilch.  Sweet fuck all.

Question: Are folks on IR living in quarters obliged to eat at the mess?  Given that they will no longer be provided rations at Crown expense, I would think that they would be able to choose.

One more observation: With fewer IR commandos around (did you know some folks have had "temporary" conditions keeping them on IR for five years or more?) I strongly suspect we'll see significant savings on TD - since those "trips down east" or "trips to Ottawa" that were not 100% needed, but let Bloggins get back home for a few days so the boss let them slide will suddenly not be needed.

AEH said:
For the first time in my over 30 years in the CF I feel betrayed.... 

That's quite the change from:
AEH said:
......you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.  You decide!!  Throughout my 25 years I have always been amazed at how many pers bitch and wine and do nothing, and how few sappers take the opportunity to try to influence things!!!  May not always be successful, but at least TRY.
But of course, you weren't commissioned then.

I guess now that you're an officer and a role model for your troops, and the CDS doesn't live up to your standards, you'll do the right thing and resign.  ::)

Back